Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Using GIS in rental housing inspection

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008

Using GIS in rental housing inspection

Anyone familiar with using GIS as part of a comprehensive rental housing inspection program? Also, maybe there are online RHI programs that might be shareware? This is a HUGE stretch, I know...I'm curious what others might be familiar with.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2007
    What exactly are you wanting to do with GIS in relation to rental inspections? You can use GIS to track which properties you have inspected, and you can create fields that have information about the structure. If you wanted a program that would tell you when an inspection was due on a particular property, you might have to get outside of GIS

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008
    Without being too vague, I want to use GIS to track rental properties and implement it within the management of the rental housing inspections. We discussed capabilities of GIS to manage registration information. Right now, registration information is typed into a database which we figured we should be able to plug that information directly into the GIS so we don't have to export a file from Access and import it into the GIS.

I'm looking for a cheap program to help manage the paperwork and scheduling of inspections. We have a program not geared for rental housing inspections that will work for issuing permits but I was curious if there were any other programs out there for that.

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by jwr108 View post
    Without being too vague, I want to use GIS to track rental properties and implement it within the management of the rental housing inspections. We discussed capabilities of GIS to manage registration information. Right now, registration information is typed into a database which we figured we should be able to plug that information directly into the GIS so we don't have to export a file from Access and import it into the GIS.

I'm looking for a cheap program to help manage the paperwork and scheduling of inspections. We have a program not geared for rental housing inspections that will work for issuing permits but I was curious if there were any other programs out there for that.
    I really am not sure I'm following you, but why don't you take your .mxd, query for rentals, create that file, export as .dbf, then create a column or tbl that sets a date condition then creates a report?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008
    ok, thanks!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Rise of rental housing
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 8:25 AM
  2. Minimum rental housing code ordinance
    Economic and Community Development