Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 College Football Thread

Registered
    Jun 2007

2009 College Football Thread

Yes, it's only January 14. Yes, we still have two big collegiate seasons left (basketball and baseball), but when news hits, you got to start the thread...

Heisman Trophy-winning QB Sam Bradford, tight end Jermaine Gresham, right tackle Trent Williams, and defensive tackle Gerald McCoy will all be staying at the University of Oklahoma for the 2009 football season! (And right when Texas thought it had a sure-shot to the Big XII and national titles - I love it!)

BOOMER!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Heisman Trophy-winning QB Sam Bradford, tight end Jermaine Gresham, right tackle Trent Williams, and defensive tackle Gerald McCoy will all be staying at the University of Oklahoma for the 2009 football season!
    Off-topic:
    ...and with the number one pick in the 2009 NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select Matthew Stafford, quarterback, from the University of Georgia...

poor guy
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Oh No....Gators Again.....

Before Season 2008 started, this Bear picked Florida to win the National Championship. Based on the gang that is returning to that Gator-infested backwater, I will make an early predicition and again pop the big jawed sea kitten munchers into the "No. 1" spot. I have no love for Florida.....but they are returning a ton of quality college football players.

Sorry, The Other TO......Oklahoma will be a Top 5 team but continue its' choking history. Look for Southern Cal to be in the big game, against Florida.

As for my Michigan Wolverines, we expect BIG things in 2009. Of course, what we expect and what we get.....oh well.....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I was shocked at first to see Bradford coming back. Once I thought about it, he might have been told that many NFL teams are wary of drafting a pure shotgun qb since none of them have yet to pan out in the league.

BUN if by big things for UM you mean a 6 win season then I agree. R-Rod needs one more year to get his system in place.

I don't think the Lions will take a qb,...there will be too many great WR's on the board.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2009
    touchdown kentucky?

another 6-6 year here we come!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

SI Top 25

Sports Illustrated published their TOP 25 for the 2009 season...and here it is:

1. Florida Gators
    2. Texas Longhorns
    3. Oklahoma Sooners
    4. USC Trojans
    5. Ole Miss Rebels
    6. Oklahoma State Cowboys
    7. Alabama Crimson Tide
    8. Va Tech Hookies
    9. Oregon Ducks
    10. Boise State Broncos
    11. LSU Tigers
    12. Ga Tech Yellowjackets
    13. Georgia Bulldogs
    14. Utah Utes
    15. Penn State Nittany Lions
    16. Ohio State Buckeyes
    17. TCU Horned Frogs
    18. Florida State Seminoles
    19. Oregon State Beavers
    20. Cal Bears
    21. Iowa Hawkeyes
    22. Kansas Jayhawks
    23. UNC Tarheels
    24. Texas Tech Red Raiders
    25. Pitt Panthers
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    What no mention of ND or Michigan ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    USC is ranked too high, they are losing most of their defense and will not have a top prospect at qb. Look for Oregon to win the PAC and end the Trojan's run.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What no mention of ND or Michigan ?
    Yep! And the big10/11 don't show up until #15...And its not even The lofty OSU (who sit at #16).
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Percy Harvin says he's going for the NFL draft but the rest of the Gators should be pretty much intact, so of course I'm saying GATORS AGAIN.

My kid is only 15 but in school has already asked me about why all the "transplants" (yankees and mid-westerners) have such disdain for southern teams, and I don't know how to answer that.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    BIG 12 Teams - YES

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    2. Texas Longhorns
    3. Oklahoma Sooners
    6. Oklahoma State Cowboys
    22. Kansas Jayhawks
    24. Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    BIG 12 Teams - YES
    & the same amount of SEC teams (five). However, I predict by the end of the season TENN will be in there too.

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post

1. Florida Gators
    5. Ole Miss Rebels
    7. Alabama Crimson Tide
    11. LSU Tigers
    13. Georgia Bulldogs
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Well, us Michigan fans can at least expect a better season than last year... right?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Well, us Michigan fans can at least expect a better season than last year... right?
    One can only hope. At least you and the Bear have that.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    As for my Michigan Wolverines, we expect BIG things in 2009. Of course, what we expect and what we get.....oh well.....

Bear
    For once, I'm glad that I'm old enough to have experienced Michigan in the pre-Shembechler days when we had no expectations of a winning season, just a hope that they would fire Bump Elliot (great athlete, terrible coach) and win some games. Here's a link to that of which I speak:

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Re-...81103-816.html

Nonetheless, M Go Blue!
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I predict Utah will finish .500 this year. No way they will be like last season.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    My kid is only 15 but in school has already asked me about why all the "transplants" (yankees and mid-westerners) have such disdain for southern teams, and I don't know how to answer that.
    because they are jealous.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Because if you had to play bowl games in cold-weather stadiums, you'd get slaughtered!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    RIP Bruce Snyder. You were the second winnest coach in ASU football history and were seconds away from a National Championship in 1996!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    & the same amount of SEC teams (five). However, I predict by the end of the season TENN will be in there too.
    Watch out for the Razorbacks!

They could make some noise this year after two good recruiting years...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Buck Nuts

The latest pre-season polls have Ohio State as high as number 5. In these latest polls nobody is picking the Buckeyes lower than 9. That contrasts with the SI poll mentioned in this thread, back when the snow was still flying. Winter polls had the Bucks about 15.

As a Michigan fan I shudder at living with all of the Buck Nuts that inhabit my neck of the woods. Another season when they win the Big Ten (yeah, there is 11). Another season when those obnoxious fans dangle strings of buckeyes, sing along to "Hang On Sloopy", and express their OSU love with a series of arm movements that spell out "O-H-I-O". Another season that OSU beats Michigan.

However, I have total respect for what they have done with their program. It is top-notch. They just reload every year.
    _____

Michigan is ranked as high as 48 in the national polls.

I hope we surpise some folks this year. I don't have many years left....I want to get back to winning ways (and whipping those obnoxious Suckeyes) before life is but a dream.

Go Blue !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Quote Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind View post
    I predict Utah will finish .500 this year. No way they will be like last season.

God I hope so. As an Alabama fan, the Sugar Bowl last year was just downright embarassing. Especially since we had such an excellent season, that loss made a lot of people wonder if we were just a fluke. To add insult to injury, my roommate is from Utah, so of course he was talking MAJOR trash.

In any case, there's exactly 34 days left until Alabama plays its season opener in Atlanta against Virginia Tech. They're ranked right under us in the preseason polls but I don't pay much attention to those........no offense to the Michigan fans, but you guys remember what happened a couple of seasons ago when y'all were favorites to win the national title.........App State. Yeah. Nobody knows who's coming with what until the season actually starts. Period. We can talk recruiting classes all day but nobody knows what you're made of until you actually get in the game. In any case though, it should be interesting. I certainly don't expect Virginia Tech to be a pushover team, but I do expect us to come out strong and blow people away like we did last year in the season opener against Clemson.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    As I posted before, I went to IU-they don't play Division 1 football there. As long as IU doesn't embarrass themselves too badly and Notre Dame gets their heads handed to them periodically, I'm happy. Amending that, I'm also happy if Southern Miss has a good year and goes to a bowl game-go Fedora.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2009
    The Big Ten should be interesting this year. I don't see any one or two team dominating quite like Ohio State and Penn State did last year. My team, Illinois, should have one of the best offenses in the country with Juice Williams returning as a senior and one of the top 5 receiver corps in the country. If the defense steps up they could surprise and possible win the Big Ten. The schedule will be brutal, though.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    The latest pre-season polls have Ohio State as high as number 5. In these latest polls nobody is picking the Buckeyes lower than 9. That contrasts with the SI poll mentioned in this thread, back when the snow was still flying. Winter polls had the Bucks about 15.

As a Michigan fan I shudder at living with all of the Buck Nuts that inhabit my neck of the woods. Another season when they win the Big Ten (yeah, there is 11). Another season when those obnoxious fans dangle strings of buckeyes, sing along to "Hang On Sloopy", and express their OSU love with a series of arm movements that spell out "O-H-I-O". Another season that OSU beats Michigan.

However, I have total respect for what they have done with their program. It is top-notch. They just reload every year.
    _____

Michigan is ranked as high as 48 in the national polls.

I hope we surpise some folks this year. I don't have many years left....I want to get back to winning ways (and whipping those obnoxious Suckeyes) before life is but a dream.

Bear
    I appreciate that you are at least a respectful Michigan Fan. I am saddened that the rivelry has really become a bit of a shouting match instead of good fun.

Ohio State has had the upper hand for so long now though, the heartbreak of the early 2000's doesn't even seem that bad.

I think OSU will win the Big 10 again and as long as they can stay competitive against USC, will make a bowl once again. I would love to see USC get killed though....

I will say that I am extremely tired of people going off on Ohio State because they are good every year. Seriously, the SEC uses the "everyone is good in our conference" reason for teams not doing better. Well don't lose, and it isn't an issue. Also, the Big 10 doesn't have to play a championship game. No conference does. So using that as a reason is crazy as well.

Go BIG TEN and go OHIO STATE !

p.s. I know I'm starting stuff
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. 2012 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 245
    Last post: 11 Jan 2013, 11:27 AM
  2. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 3:15 PM
  3. 2010 College Football Thread