Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10

Thread: 2009 College Football Thread

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    What, are you saying Tim Tebow is not the second coming?

Signed,

A Gator and Jax-native!

Seriously, Timmy played a good 4 years and the Gators had much success with him in the line up. We'll move on and the sun will rise in Gainesville again.
    Man... Did his tears taste sweet! I bought some on EBay.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2003
    All I know is that I get to be there for Bobby's last game against the first team he coached for. It will be a bitter sweet game/end to the legend that is Bobby Bowden. Bless you Bobby for all your heart to our team. However, Bobby should have retired a few years ago. Go NOLES!!

FM, you are so right...one must not speak poorly of Tebow or your butt will be kicked.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Trail Nazi View post
    FM, you are so right...one must not speak poorly of Tebow or your butt will be kicked.
    You can try to kick a Seminoles butt all you want....we remain 'Unconquered' (sigh)

There is talk of the Jags trying to draft Tebow to keep the Jags from moving out of Jax. There were 30,000 unsold seats for the Jags win last weekend. So...Tebow can save the day! (and I hear he walks on water) I think the NFL is going to beat the college ra-ra right out of him.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    You can try to kick a Seminoles butt all you want....we remain 'Unconquered' (sigh)

There is talk of the Jags trying to draft Tebow to keep the Jags from moving out of Jax. There were 30,000 unsold seats for the Jags win last weekend. So...Tebow can save the day! (and I hear he walks on water) I think the NFL is going to beat the college ra-ra right out of him.
    Cough...cough...Matt Jones...cough...cough... minus the hieght, speed and drug problems.

The Jags might be the first NFL team to make the playoffs and have the game blacked out.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I just realized that Urban Meyer will be coaching against his alma mater in the Sugar Bowl. He played defensive back for Cincy from '83 - '86, was a member of Sigma Chi, and graduated with a BA in Psychology in '86.

I wonder what it's like to be in such a situation? Would you harbor some sympathy or support for your alma mater beneath your professional behavior (i.e. working towards destroying said alma mater on the field)? Or would you pull a Darrell K Royal (the Hollis, Oklahoma-born OU defensive back and occasional quarterback from 1946-49, the beginnings of the Bud Wilkinson years, and who, after only 6 years away from OU, became a complete traitor [both in deed and word] to become the winningest coach in University of Texas history)?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I just realized that Urban Meyer will be coaching against his alma mater in the Sugar Bowl. He played defensive back for Cincy from '83 - '86, was a member of Sigma Chi, and graduated with a BA in Psychology in '86.

I wonder what it's like to be in such a situation? Would you harbor some sympathy or support for your alma mater beneath your professional behavior (i.e. working towards destroying said alma mater on the field)? Or would you pull a Darrell K Royal (the Hollis, Oklahoma-born OU defensive back and occasional quarterback from 1946-49, the beginnings of the Bud Wilkinson years, and who, after only 6 years away from OU, became a complete traitor [both in deed and word] to become the winningest coach in University of Texas history)?
    He was a Sigma Chi...I knew I hated him for a reason.

If I was in his situation I would have 3 or 4 million reasons to stomp the Bearcats. Now there is a difference between trying to beat your opponent and going to work for your arch rival. As an ASU alumni I would not be able to take a job at U of A as a coach. I could see working for U of A in a professional capacity or even as a professor.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    You know I kinda feel sorry for Cincy. They go 12-0, get to a major bowl game to face Florida, then their coach bolts to Notre Dame (after he told the players he wasn't going) and leaves 'em before the game even starts to get hyped. See ya later boys, you're on you own!

Brain Kelly could've told ND, I'll take the job come Jan 10th, I just want to coach this team in the bowl - although the media wouldn't have left the story or him alone. Oh well, at least Charlie Strong will still be the defensive coordinator for the Gators before he moves to Louisville.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Apparently the Big Ten (11) is looking to expand.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4745381

ESPN analysts shortlist includes Missouri, Syracuse, Pitt, Nebraska, and Rutgers. I hope they leave the Big 12 unscathed. The less resemblance this conference has to the old Big 8, the more I hate it and resent the Texas schools. They're going to pull a SWC again. I hate it.

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    ~snip~
    Oh well, at least Charlie Strong will still be the defensive coordinator for the Gators before he moves to Louisville.
    I thought UofL was pretty classy in not contacting anybody that was playing for a Conference Championship until after the game. I also think Strong is going to do very well in a few years here. (The cupboard is pretty durned bare...)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Big 11 Goes To Big 12, East

ESPN analysts shortlist includes Missouri, Syracuse, Pitt, Nebraska, and Rutgers. I hope they leave the Big 12 unscathed. The less resemblance this conference has to the old Big 8, the more I hate it and resent the Texas schools. They're going to pull a SWC again. I hate it.
    I think the best fit for the Big 11 is Missouri. Divide the conference as follows.....

East
    Penn State
    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Indiana
    Purdue

West
    Illinois
    Northwestern
    Iowa
    Missouri
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota

Geographically wise......but looking at the results from the last 10-20 years, the East would dominate.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    I think the best fit for the Big 11 is Missouri. Divide the conference as follows.....

East
    Penn State
    Ohio State
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Indiana
    Purdue

West
    Illinois
    Northwestern
    Iowa
    Missouri
    Wisconsin
    Minnesota

Geographically wise......but looking at the results from the last 10-20 years, the East would dominate.

Bear
    What if they divided it north & south? I think it'd be more balanced, and if they handled the cross-divisional schedules like the SEC does and not like the Big 12, they won't kill any big cross-division rivalries. In fact, it could make the rivalries bigger (Imagine a Michigan-Ohio State, Minnesota-Iowa, or Northwestern-Illinois conference championship game)
    North:
    Michigan
    Michigan State
    Minnesota
    Wisconsin
    Northwestern
    Penn State

South:
    Ohio State
    Indiana
    Purdue
    Illinois
    Iowa
    Missouri

Also, if the Big 10 (11) picks up Missouri, I think the Big 12 should pick up Colorado State (not TCU).

Registered
    Jan 2005
    In fact, it could make the rivalries bigger (Imagine a Michigan-Ohio State, Minnesota-Iowa, or Northwestern-Illinois conference championship game)

North:
    Michigan

South:
    Ohio State

Also, if the Big 10 (11) picks up Missouri, I think the Big 12 should pick up Colorado State (not TCU).
    I don't think Ohio State could be in a different division from Michigan or they might play twice in a year, killing the rivalry. Although I do support the Big10 expanding, I don't support the championship game. I think the team who wins the most games in the season deserves the trophy, or has to split it with any other teams who do the same. I really don't see why they need to play a championship game other than the financial gain of having your two "best" teams play.

I think that Missouri is probably the best fit in terms of geography, but ND would be best in terms of academics and history. The Big10 was the best conference in the country for years, their addition of Penn State in 1989 was a great addition, and although Missouri isn't quite what Penn State is, they would be a pretty good addition. I don't like Syracuse/Pitt/Rutgers as they are not at the level of the other Big10 schools in overall sports quality. I don't think any Pitt/Cincy/Northern Iowa discussions will even take place, as the market share by Penn State/Ohio State/Iowa respectively would not be shared by these schools.

TexanOkie I cannot picture a Northwestern-Illinois conference championship. Ever. They would never win their division in your scenario.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I don't think Ohio State could be in a different division from Michigan or they might play twice in a year, killing the rivalry.
    I fail to see how this would do anything but intensify the rivalry, especially if the Big 10 continues it's current practice (and what the SEC does) in having permanent matchups (which would become permanent cross-division matchups like Florida-LSU, Auburn-Georgia, Bama-Tennessee). If they wind up playing a second time, the stakes are raised - a seat in the Rose Bowl and a conference championship. It's when you pull a Big 12 and only play cross-division teams twice every 4 years that you kill a rivalry (like what happened to OU-Nebraska).

Registered
    May 2005
    Rumors have it that the Big 10 is leaving the door open to expansion beyond 12 teams.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I think the Big 10 should have 10 teams, like there name suggests. Drop Northwestern. They can go to the MAC or C-USA. I think the PAC 10 does it the right way. Every team plays every team so you have a true conference champion.

Although the BIG 10 will be come BIG 10 + 2 and I think they will add Pitt. Pitt is a top quality university that does high level research, like most BIG 10 schools, has a top tier football and basketball program and fits with the conference geographically. Pitt and Penn St had a great rivalry before Penn St joined the BIG 10.

As for dividing up the BIG 10 + 2 I would use the ACC model. Not based on geography but on making the divisions balanced. The BIG 10 has a ton of rivalry games it would be a shame to lose some of them.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I thought UofL was pretty classy in not contacting anybody that was playing for a Conference Championship until after the game. I also think Strong is going to do very well in a few years here. (The cupboard is pretty durned bare...)
    Yeah, especially after Illinois raided the TE coach, QB coach, and now has U of L's former OC, Paul Petrino. Thanks, Louisville!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Whoo! Roll Tide!

Well, I think it's safe to say the better team won tonight. Although Texas has nothing to be ashamed of, as they made what looked like a blowout at the half an extremely competitive game until the very end. And McCoy took both his injury and his team's loss with as much class as I've ever seen. I will echo what many have been saying across the local and regional sports blogs, though, to Texas fans: do not cheer when opposing QB's go down. Karma is a b*tch.

Also, id any other people pick up that the Longhorn Band played "Hoe Down" from Rodeo (aka the "Beef: It's what's for dinner" song) for their halftime show? Poor choice from the LHB directors...

Whoo! Roll Tide!

Well, I think it's safe to say the better team won tonight. Although Texas has nothing to be ashamed of, as they made what looked like a blowout at the half an extremely competitive game until the very end. And McCoy took both his injury and his team's loss with as much class as I've ever seen. I will echo what many have been saying across the local and regional sports blogs, though, to Texas fans: do not cheer when opposing QB's go down. Karma is a b*tch.

Also, id any other people pick up that the Longhorn Band played "Hoe Down" from Rodeo (aka the "Beef: It's what's for dinner" song) for their halftime show? Poor choice from the LHB directors...

I agree. I'm a firm believer in sportsmanship. Texas did play a great game, ESPECIALLY considering the fact that the QB who played most of the game was an 18-year-old kid who only a year ago was playing high school ball and was thrust onto the national stage unexpectedly. As for the injury, sorry that it happened, but I need not remind anyone that football is a contact sport and it's the risk you take. We certainly didn't go in with the intention of killing him, it's just the kind of stuff that happens when you pick up a football. Texas played their hearts out, and hell just when I was about to doze off assuming Bama had the title, the Longhorns rallied hard and brought the game to within three. So congratulations Texas on a hard-fought game. But with that being said,

ROLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well I better chime in with my season recap before I forget about it....

Bowl Season was a bit boring, especially the National Championship game, which really wasn't much once Colt was out. Although Alabama won, to me, it doesn't say all that much. I would have rather seen Boise or TCU play Alabama... or Utah...

As for the other games, some were good (WVU v. Florida State) and some were really bad (Missouri v. Navy), but really I want to look at the conferences. Mainly because even though the SEC won it's 4th consecutive NC, I still don't think they are as good as some give them credit. With Florida, LSU, Florida, and now Alabama, they have shown that they are strong at the top, no doubt. But as the final rankings of 2010 show they did not end well :

Teams ranked in Coaches Poll:
    Big 10: 4 [5 (Ohio State), 7 (Iowa), 8 (Penn State), 16 (Wisconsin)]
    Big 12: 4 [2 (Texas), 14 (Nebraska), 23 (Texas Tech), 25 (Ok State)]
    Big East: 3 [9 (Cincinnati), 15 (Pitt), 22 (West Virginia)]
    ACC: 3 [10 (Va.Tech), 13 (Georgia Tech), 19 (Miami)
    SEC: 4 [1 (Alabama), 3 (Florida), 17 (LSU), 21 (Mississippi)]
    PAC 10: 2 [11 (Oregon), 20 (USC)]

So if we look at these rankings we see that three conferences had 4 teams in the final poll; Big 10, Big 12, and SEC. Of those three we see that the Big 12 had an average ranking of 13.5, the SEC of 10.5 and the Big 10 with 9. I think that speaks heavily on the conferences. Also, since the Big 6 conferences get more bowl bids, it is hard to say how to normalize this, but let's look at the bowl games...

Big East 4-2 [.666]
    SEC 6-4 [.600] (National Champ, Sugar Bowl Champs)
    Big 10 4-3 [.571] (Rose Champs, Orange Champs)
    Big 12 4-4 [.500]
    ACC 3-4 [.429]
    PAC 10 2-5 [.286]

The SEC did get the most teams in with 10, which shows either A. They had the most good teams, or B. They are part of a conference that gets too much credit. The Big East had the best record in the bowls this year winning 4 of 6. Although Cincy was overrated the entire year (and should not have been allowed in the same stadium as Florida) I was still impressed with the UCONN win. They didn't get any important hardware though, as only Cincy played for a BCS bowl championship. The SEC and the Big 10 tied for most BCS bowl wins with two, although obviously the SEC gets the nod, since one of theirs was the NC. Really what the stat above shows is that the PAC-10 sucks in bowl season. Now that Pete Carroll is out at USC, they will be even worse...

So what does this mean? Pretty much nothing. Just a lot of numbers. But I do think that there is good reason to believe that the SEC is not any better than any other conference. They have some of the best teams in the country, but so does the Big 10, Big 12, and Big East. I think that the BCS is a stupid way to figure out the national champion, and until they work out a Plus one or Playoff, we can argue this crap all we want (which I enjoy).

I would like to finish by saying the Ohio State won a big game. I would like to tell everyone that they now can no longer keep their random hatred. They must now agree that Ohio State as been one of the most dominate teams of the 2000's and move on.

Good season everyone, see you back here for the 2010 trash talk thread
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The AP Top 10 Final Rankings (and their preseason ranking)

1. Alabama (7)
    2. Texas (2)
    3. Florida (1)
    4. Boise State (10)
    5. t Ohio State (15)
    6. Texas Christian (17)
    7. Iowa (21)
    8. Cincy (nr)
    9. Penn State (15)
    10. Va Tech (8)

It's going to be different next year I think with several underclassmen going to the draft. Lots of question marks going into 2010.

(hink, we will agree to disagree)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 9 10

More at Cyburbia

1. 2012 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 245
    Last post: 11 Jan 2013, 11:27 AM
  2. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 3:15 PM
  3. 2010 College Football Thread