Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 245

Thread: 2009 College Football Thread

  1. #26
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post

    I will say that I am extremely tired of people going off on Ohio State because they are good every year. Seriously, the SEC uses the "everyone is good in our conference" reason for teams not doing better. Well don't lose, and it isn't an issue. Also, the Big 10 doesn't have to play a championship game. No conference does. So using that as a reason is crazy as well.

    Go BIG TEN and go OHIO STATE !

    p.s. I know I'm starting stuff


    Well since you opened the door Hink...

    My issue with OSU is they play a rather weak schedule, get ranked high becasue of a win/loss record, and don't show well in a bowl. You shouldn't be able to be considered as a national championship team if your schedule dominated with noncompetitive schools.

    For example, a couple years ago OSU played 2 (PSU & UM) ranked teams, their nonconference schedule consisted completely of Troy & Akron types of schools. While Florida played 6 ranked schools and a couple patsies plus FSU (ranked at the time) in their nonconference schedule. Florida doesn't have the luxury of being in a weak conference.

    As far as your "just don't lose" argument, look at Haiwaii when they had an undefeated schedule then got waxed in the bowl game. They didn't play anyone during the season. The confernece championship argument doesn't matter in this case.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  2. #27
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    2,386
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Well since you opened the door Hink...
    Excellent...an OSU defender. This could be fun.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  3. #28
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,090
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Well since you opened the door Hink...

    My issue with OSU is they play a rather weak schedule, get ranked high becasue of a win/loss record, and don't show well in a bowl. You shouldn't be able to be considered as a national championship team if your schedule dominated with noncompetitive schools.

    For example, a couple years ago OSU played 2 (PSU & UM) ranked teams, their nonconference schedule consisted completely of Troy & Akron types of schools. While Florida played 6 ranked schools and a couple patsies plus FSU (ranked at the time) in their nonconference schedule. Florida doesn't have the luxury of being in a weak conference.

    As far as your "just don't lose" argument, look at Haiwaii when they had an undefeated schedule then got waxed in the bowl game. They didn't play anyone during the season. The confernece championship argument doesn't matter in this case.
    I assume you are talking about 2007 when OSU didn't have a top 2 team scheduled in their non-conference schedule??

    2005/ 2006 - Texas
    2007- None
    2008/ 2009- USC

    And I assume you mean the fact that they lost in the National Championship twice in a row and lost to Texas last January by 3....

    2002/3 - W Miami (National Champions)
    2003/4 - W Kansas State
    2004/5- W Ok State
    2005/6- W Notre Dame

    2006/7 - L Florida (championship)
    2007/8- L LSU (championship)
    2008/9- L Tex (by 3)

    ...because other than losing in the National Championship games and playing a good game against Texas... I am pretty sure they show up in bowl games.


    I love how SEC people believe that because they play more ranked teams they are better. Honestly, the SEC gets teams ranked much more than the Big 10. I think we can all look at Tennessee and Georgia were a bit over hyped the last couple years... Florida has been pretty solid. I give the SEC that. But just because the SEC is "up" and its teams get ranked, doesn't mean that they are playing a tougher schedule.

    I will do a little research and find the stat I am thinking about, but I won't throw it at you until I can back it up.

    I think if you really believe that Hawaii is even in the same world as Ohio State you are kidding yourself. Utah last year is a better example. They had what you would consider it an easier schedule and they waxed Alabama....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  4. #29
    Member
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Decatur/Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Posts
    3
    I think that on average SEC teams do play a tougher schedule. Alabama started off the season last year with Clemson, and won. Now, Alabama's gonna start off this season with Virginia Tech.

    Yes, Tennessee and Georgia were over rated, they ALWAYS are. As for this year? Ole Miss is overrated, though they will have a great season. Alabama is underrated, and still has a chance at winning the SEC Champ. Florida is rated what they should be. LSU is just LSU, there's no way that anyone can predict what they'll do. Auburn sucks, and we all know it. Vandy will sadly have a poor season. South Carolina will do alright. Kentucky will do about average.

    Anyways, ROLL TIDE

  5. #30
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I assume you are talking about 2007 when OSU didn't have a top 2 team scheduled in their non-conference schedule??

    2005/ 2006 - Texas
    2007- None
    2008/ 2009- USC

    And I assume you mean the fact that they lost in the National Championship twice in a row and lost to Texas last January by 3....

    2002/3 - W Miami (National Champions)
    2003/4 - W Kansas State
    2004/5- W Ok State
    2005/6- W Notre Dame

    2006/7 - L Florida (championship)
    2007/8- L LSU (championship)
    2008/9- L Tex (by 3)

    ...because other than losing in the National Championship games and playing a good game against Texas... I am pretty sure they show up in bowl games.


    I love how SEC people believe that because they play more ranked teams they are better. Honestly, the SEC gets teams ranked much more than the Big 10. I think we can all look at Tennessee and Georgia were a bit over hyped the last couple years... Florida has been pretty solid. I give the SEC that. But just because the SEC is "up" and its teams get ranked, doesn't mean that they are playing a tougher schedule.

    I will do a little research and find the stat I am thinking about, but I won't throw it at you until I can back it up.

    I think if you really believe that Hawaii is even in the same world as Ohio State you are kidding yourself. Utah last year is a better example. They had what you would consider it an easier schedule and they waxed Alabama....
    2 of OSU last 3 bowl losses have come at the hands of the SEC. OSU loads up its schedule with MAC teams (Akron, Ohio, Toledo, NIU, Bowling Green) and Youngstown St...come on...OSU schedules cream puffs. I will give them credit for the home and home series with USC and with Texas a few years back. When was the last time OSU beat a top 25 non conference opponent outside of Columbus?

    Look at the final AP polls for the past 4 years...the SEC has had more national championships and more teams in the top 10 and top 25 than the BIG 10. I am no SEC fan but its had to argue that SEC has not been the best conference in college football for the past 4 years.

    As for the Fiesta Bowl last year...I was their and it was painfully obvious that Texas did not want to be their and played like it. Texas had more turnovers in the first half than they did in the first half of the season. OSU should have won the game against a team that believed they should have been playing in the national championship game. The same can be said for Bama last year.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  6. #31
    Cyburbian TexanOkie's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    2,904
    OU's Sam Bradford, in a recent interview with ESPN in conjunction with Big XII Media Days, admitted he has gained 10 lbs of muscle in the off-season and that he's ready to take hits like Brett Favre - in the chin, hold his ground in the pocket, and still deliver. OU opponents beware...

  7. #32
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,090
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    2 of OSU last 3 bowl losses have come at the hands of the SEC. OSU loads up its schedule with MAC teams (Akron, Ohio, Toledo, NIU, Bowling Green) and Youngstown St...come on...OSU schedules cream puffs. I will give them credit for the home and home series with USC and with Texas a few years back. When was the last time OSU beat a top 25 non conference opponent outside of Columbus?

    Look at the final AP polls for the past 4 years...the SEC has had more national championships and more teams in the top 10 and top 25 than the BIG 10. I am no SEC fan but its had to argue that SEC has not been the best conference in college football for the past 4 years.

    As for the Fiesta Bowl last year...I was their and it was painfully obvious that Texas did not want to be their and played like it. Texas had more turnovers in the first half than they did in the first half of the season. OSU should have won the game against a team that believed they should have been playing in the national championship game. The same can be said for Bama last year.
    I am not saying that the SEC has not been the better conference for the last four years. I am saying that they have not been as good as some think. I think that if you remove Florida last year, the SEC was not that much better than the Big 10.

    I too was at the game last year, and Ohio State played like they couldn't win a peewee league game. And yet they still only lost by 3. I think Texas played about as good of football as they averaged all year. Not their best game, but it wasn't like they were not there...

    Sept. 9, 2006- was the last win against a ranked team that was not in their conference. It would be a 24-7 thumping of Texas at Texas. Now to be fair, OSU plays 4 non-conference games a year, Florida is playing three this year... all of which are pansies... Let us compare...

    Ohio State -
    2005- 3/ 1 ranked
    2006- 4/ 1 ranked
    2007- 4/ None Ranked
    2008- 4/ 1 ranked
    2009- 4/ 1 ranked

    Florida-
    2005- 2/ None Ranked
    2006- 3/ None Ranked
    2007- 3 /None Ranked
    2008- 3/ None Ranked
    2009- 3 / None Ranked

    It seems to me that at least OSU plays a ranked opponent non-conference every year... Florida has not done that in a long time.... I take Florida, since they are the SEC.

    So my real answer is, they have won a non-conference non-bowl game away from home sooner than Florida has. SEC plays the same type of schedule of the Big 10.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  8. #33
    Cyburbian Brocktoon's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Promoting synergies...
    Posts
    3,558
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I am not saying that the SEC has not been the better conference for the last four years. I am saying that they have not been as good as some think. I think that if you remove Florida last year, the SEC was not that much better than the Big 10.

    I too was at the game last year, and Ohio State played like they couldn't win a peewee league game. And yet they still only lost by 3. I think Texas played about as good of football as they averaged all year. Not their best game, but it wasn't like they were not there...

    Sept. 9, 2006- was the last win against a ranked team that was not in their conference. It would be a 24-7 thumping of Texas at Texas. Now to be fair, OSU plays 4 non-conference games a year, Florida is playing three this year... all of which are pansies... Let us compare...


    It seems to me that at least OSU plays a ranked opponent non-conference every year... Florida has not done that in a long time.... I take Florida, since they are the SEC.

    So my real answer is, they have won a non-conference non-bowl game away from home sooner than Florida has. SEC plays the same type of schedule of the Big 10.
    I agree that the SEC also schedules cream puffs. Apples and Oranges...I am talking conferences not OSU vs Florida, although the Gators beat 5 ranked teams last year including beating the #1 ranked team twice and has won 2 national championships in 3 years where OSU has lost 2 national championships and 3 straight bowl games...but I digress...

    Last year Florida finished 1 and Bama finished 6. OSU finished 9 and Penn State 8. Both OSU and Penn State lost their bowl game where the top 2 SEC teams split. In 2007 the SEC had the #1 and #2 teams at the end of the season with LSU and Georgia.
    The top of the SEC has been better.

    If you look top to bottom of the conference of the SEC and BIG 10 the SEC is better. Last year the two worst teams in the BIG 10 were Michigan and Indiana who were both 3-9. In the SEC Miss St was 4-8 and several teams were 5-7. The bottom of the SEC was better than the BIG 10. IU lost to Ball St and Central Michigan and Michigan lost to Toledo at home.

    Miss State lost to LA Tech but almost beat two ranked teams.

    The bottom of the SEC was better.
    The middle is a push.

    Overall the SEC has been the better conference and I say that as a PAC 10 fan.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

  9. #34
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post

    Sept. 9, 2006- was the last win against a ranked team that was not in their conference. It would be a 24-7 thumping of Texas at Texas. Now to be fair, OSU plays 4 non-conference games a year, Florida is playing three this year... all of which are pansies... Let us compare...

    Ohio State -
    2005- 3/ 1 ranked
    2006- 4/ 1 ranked
    2007- 4/ None Ranked
    2008- 4/ 1 ranked
    2009- 4/ 1 ranked

    Florida-
    2005- 2/ None Ranked
    2006- 3/ None Ranked
    2007- 3 /None Ranked
    2008- 3/ None Ranked
    2009- 3 / None Ranked

    It seems to me that at least OSU plays a ranked opponent non-conference every year... Florida has not done that in a long time.... I take Florida, since they are the SEC.

    So my real answer is, they have won a non-conference non-bowl game away from home sooner than Florida has. SEC plays the same type of schedule of the Big 10.

    Hink my boy, Florida plays Florida State every year on their nonconference schedule...and as bad as I hate to admit this about FSU, they have been ranked most of those years. For the 2009 season yet to be played, Florida again has FSU on the schedule - who is ranked - so your chart above is wrong. (I guess you thought FSU was in the SEC, but they are in the ACC).

    So if you care to discuss the conference scheulde - ranked vs. unranked teams - we can do that as well. Overall, the SEC teams play a more difficult schedule because of the teams in the conference and then a respresentative nonconference schedule. Stewart Mandel with SI just did a column related to this.

    I don't really need to mention OSU's 14 point loss to LSU or the 27 point loss to Florida as more evidence do I? Oops, I just did.

    I'm glad you like the 'nuts Hink. They are the best team in their conference. However they don't deserve high ranking because of past reputations of the conference. Every year should stand on its own merits. Unfortunaltely the big 10/11 is a down conference right now which hurts them - or maybe its fortunate because it really helps OSU's rankings.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  10. #35
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,090
    Planit you are correct, I just ignored FSU.... not sure why, I know they are in the ACC.

    I will not get into a who is better between Florida and OSU because other than the last two years, that is a weak battle, but you are right the Big 10 is down. The SEC has been the better conference from top to bottom for the last two years. 2006, was the tilting point I think, where the SEC became better than the Big 10. Prior to that, it was pretty even, and before 2003 it was easily the Big 10.

    If winning 95% of your games in two years and losing the national championship two years in a row makes you a team that doesn't deserve a high ranking I don't know what does... losing all your games, but beating the ranked team luckily?

    I'm glad you like the 'nuts Hink. They are the best team in their conference. However they don't deserve high ranking because of past reputations of the conference. Every year should stand on its own merits. Unfortunaltely the big 10/11 is a down conference right now which hurts them - or maybe its fortunate because it really helps OSU's rankings.
    How does the Big 10 being "down" mean they don't deserve a high ranking? What past reputation of the Big 10? You mean the dominant conference in America for many years? Every year should stand on its own merits and that is why OSU gets ranked... because they win games. You can argue all you want that playing in conference games in the SEC is harder than in the Big 10, but in the end if you don't win the games, you don't get to play for a National Championship. The SEC has 11 teams, as the Big 10 does. Every year in the Big 10 2-3 of those teams are worthless, the same can be said for the SEC. Lately, the SEC has had a stronger middle, which I guess makes it a harder league.

    The argument that a team doesn't "deserve" a ranking because they win 95% of games, but lost to a great LSU team, or an average Florida team in the National Championship game, that they are not good, just doesn't fly with me. I still think Alabama was a good team last year, even though they got it handed to them in their bowl game. One game does not make a season.

    Ohio State, like it or not, is one of the best teams in the nation, year in and year out. Not because it is given to them, but because they recruit, win, and rebuild. Just as USC does, Florida does, and all the other teams who are doing well these days...

    **Rant complete... no more OSU pushing **
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  11. #36
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Planit you are correct, I just ignored FSU....





    an average Florida team in the National Championship game


    I like to ignore FSU as well


    Not going to take that bait (an average Florida team ) except that "an average" team won by 27 points in the game you are referring to (and not because Ginn got hurt on the first play) - so what does that say about the losing team ... below average I guess.

    Just smile and wave boys!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  12. #37
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    18,164
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Planit you are correct, I just ignored FSU.... not sure why,
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I like to ignore FSU as well
    FSU is on my list of teams I choose to ignore too.
    What schools do choose to ignore ? Me - OSU, Michigan, & ND
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  13. #38
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote found in SI article today:

    In fairness, the Gators should have to play at least one game before winning their third BCS championship in four seasons, which they'll do at the Rose Bowl on Jan. 7. We don't want to make it too easy for them (like letting them play Ohio State again).

    The article was saying that Florida is so strong this year that they really didn't need to play their regular season scehdule and just start playing in the SEC Championship game. As much as I like dem Gators, I can't condone that, but I couldn't resist
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  14. #39
    Cyburbian Bubba's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Above urban19's plane field
    Posts
    2,386
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Quote found in SI article today:

    In fairness, the Gators should have to play at least one game before winning their third BCS championship in four seasons, which they'll do at the Rose Bowl on Jan. 7. We don't want to make it too easy for them (like letting them play Ohio State again).

    The article was saying that Florida is so strong this year that they really didn't need to play their regular season scehdule and just start playing in the SEC Championship game. As much as I like dem Gators, I can't condone that, but I couldn't resist






    Got a link for you, buddy, the content is slightly dated, but funny regardless...what if Tebow was on Twitter?

    http://www.hockeydrunk.com/wp-conten...ow_twitter.jpg

    (Content is work-safe if you're comfortable opening a site called "hockeydrunk")
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

  15. #40
    Cyburbian H's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2003
    Location
    MKS
    Posts
    2,847
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Quote found in SI article today:

    In fairness, the Gators should have to play at least one game before winning their third BCS championship in four seasons, which they'll do at the Rose Bowl on Jan. 7. We don't want to make it too easy for them (like letting them play Ohio State again).

    The article was saying that Florida is so strong this year that they really didn't need to play their regular season scehdule and just start playing in the SEC Championship game. As much as I like dem Gators, I can't condone that, but I couldn't resist
    The Gators will lose to Ole Miss AGAIN this year. This time in ATL.
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

  16. #41
    NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Jukin' City
    Posts
    16,617
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    The Gators will lose to Ole Miss AGAIN this year. This time in ATL.
    That's not going to go over well with the resident Gator Gal.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

  17. #42
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327

    Go Blue !!!

    Go Blue !!!

    It will most likely be a solid but still rebuilding season for the Michigan Wolverines. No announcement yet (to my knowledge) about the starting QB. Bet dollars to donuts it is one of the two hotshot freshmen, both well-versed in spread offense type stuff.

    Even with a horrible year in 2008 and a so-so year in 2007, the folks who rank the college squads on the strength of their recruits still has Michigan in the Top 20. One service had their latest picks in the Top 10. Bottom-line: The program is still strongly desired by kids charging out of high school. Even with the bad years of late, the Wolverines give a strong kid national exposure and a history of NFL placement.

    I am frustrated that I may have to live through another bad season (although nobody expects anything as bad as last year). I await next year, as all those top recruits start to merge into maturity.

    Go Blue !!!

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  18. #43
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327

    Go Blue !!!

    Go Blue !!!

    Bring it on, sports fans. College football is kicking-in. Woo-hoo!

    Go Blue !!!
    _____

    Saw a nice little ditty about Ohio State University. (Notice the missing "The". ) Anyhooooo......the powers at The Horseshoe are asking their fans to cheer for Navy, as their football team takes the field in Columbus (today). They also ask that other universities also appropriately cheer service academies when they march onto the field.

    Nice gesture.

    Note: I still hate Ohio State. (But I respect this cool gesture.)

    2nd Note: I still hate Ohio State.



    Go Blue !!!

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  19. #44
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    18,164
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    ... the powers at The Horseshoe are asking their fans to cheer for Navy, as their football team takes the field in Columbus (today). They also ask that other universities also appropriately cheer service academies when they march onto the field.

    Nice gesture.

    Note: I still hate Ohio State. (But I respect this cool gesture.)
    2nd Note: I still hate Ohio State.

    I agree with you on both the gesture and teh no love lost on that school.

    HEADLINE: Buckeyes urging fans to cheer Navy's arrival
    http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.s..._to_cheer.html

    Go USU Aggies and CU Buffs
    Last edited by JNA; 05 Sep 2009 at 11:13 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  20. #45
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    Hey, JNA.....the Toledo Rockets host Colorado later this month. Go Rockets!



    The University of Toledo has a tough schedule this year.....and catching the Rockets in a rebuilding phase. In addition to the MAC schedule, UT will be playing.....

    At Purdue
    At Florida International
    Home to Temple
    Home to Colorado

    Playing Ohio State, at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

    Tough schedule.

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  21. #46
    Super Moderator kjel's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wishing I were in Asia somewhere!
    Posts
    9,850
    Blog entries
    5
    RU is busy getting skunked by Cincy. Apparently they missed the notice that there was a game today.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

  22. #47
    Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Location
    Northwestern Ohio
    Posts
    9,327
    Hey, Hink......have a little problem with Navy? They played quite a game and it is apparent that your Bucks were looking to the Southern Cal game.

    This Bear is not sure who to cheer for. I hate Southern Cal (for no logical reason). I hate the Buckeyes (for all the logical reasons ). I want the Big Ten (11) to succeed and any team that whips tough outsiders will (in the long term) strengthen the conference.

    Good luck this weekend. I think it will be a close game.

    Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

  23. #48
    Cyburbian hilldweller's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Posts
    3,740
    What a game between Miami and FSU last night- both teams look a lot better this year although's FSU's secondary can't keep getting lit up like that. OU better watch out for Miami in week 4, especially if Bradford is still out.

  24. #49
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,090
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Hey, Hink......have a little problem with Navy?
    Bear
    Thanks Bear - we won didn't we? And we got to see a play that doesn't happen all the often, the returned extra point.

    I think the first week of the college football season we learned a lot.

    Firstly, Florida, Texas, and USC should be ashamed. Especially Florida. What kind of schedule are you playing? Charleston Southern? Seriously? At least Texas played the 110th best D-I program. And USC played 101 ranked SJSU. Wow. (Just a note Navy was ranked 52).

    Secondly, Oklahoma is in trouble (but they get Bradford back in a month), OK State is really as good as ranked, Alabama probably is better than the 5th they are ranked, LSU shouldn't be ranked in the top 15, and Florida State just got it handed to them by a pretty good Miami team.

    Honestly, I thought the first week of college football was pretty good. I don't like to see Bradford hurt (I actually like him as opposed to Tebow) and it is sad that he won't get the chance to go for the back-to-back Heisman's. Also, Blount from Oregon was rightfully banned for the season. At least some programs still do what is right, not what is best for winning.

    I look forward to the USC game this week. USC gets their center back for the game, so no excuses. I hope that it is close. Obviously I would like Pryor to have the breakout game he needs, but I will live with winning. USC isn't any better than OSU, so we shall see which team plays like a champion (which both teams are).
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  25. #50
    Cyburbian hilldweller's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Posts
    3,740
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Thanks Bear - we won didn't we? And we got to see a play that doesn't happen all the often, the returned extra point.

    I think the first week of the college football season we learned a lot.

    Firstly, Florida, Texas, and USC should be ashamed. Especially Florida. What kind of schedule are you playing? Charleston Southern? Seriously? At least Texas played the 110th best D-I program. And USC played 101 ranked SJSU. Wow. (Just a note Navy was ranked 52).

    Secondly, Oklahoma is in trouble (but they get Bradford back in a month), OK State is really as good as ranked, Alabama probably is better than the 5th they are ranked, LSU shouldn't be ranked in the top 15, and Florida State just got it handed to them by a pretty good Miami team.

    Honestly, I thought the first week of college football was pretty good. I don't like to see Bradford hurt (I actually like him as opposed to Tebow) and it is sad that he won't get the chance to go for the back-to-back Heisman's. Also, Blount from Oregon was rightfully banned for the season. At least some programs still do what is right, not what is best for winning.

    I look forward to the USC game this week. USC gets their center back for the game, so no excuses. I hope that it is close. Obviously I would like Pryor to have the breakout game he needs, but I will live with winning. USC isn't any better than OSU, so we shall see which team plays like a champion (which both teams are).
    I agree with most of your points except I think LSU beat a decent Washington team on the road and is probably appropriately ranked at 15.

    Notre Dame actually looked really good (even though it was Nevada), so did Michigan (ditto for the opponent).

    The teams that impressed me the most this week were Alabama, BYU, and Miami.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. 2012 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 245
    Last post: 11 Jan 2013, 12:27 PM
  2. 2011 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 385
    Last post: 11 Jan 2012, 4:15 PM
  3. 2010 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 455
    Last post: 14 Apr 2011, 5:00 PM
  4. 2008 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 176
    Last post: 12 Jan 2009, 5:20 PM
  5. Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 5:13 PM