Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: University of British Columbia

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2007

University of British Columbia

I have a couple questions about attending UBC:

What types of places do graduates from there get jobs? Does a UBC degree carry into the Seattle market? Do employees look favorably on UBC grads as receiving a solid practical planning degree (at the least)?

Where do grad students live? I've heard UBC is primarily a commuter campus (at least for undergrads) but their website has some spiffy looking grad student housing. Do grad students live on campus or are these images/descriptions misleading?

I haven't heard back from UBC yet and I'll likely be asking their department these questions if I get in, but I'd like to get an idea beforehand. Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2009
    UBC is a well regarded program overall. Many SCARP grads go into municipal planning after school, though some work with NGOs or in private consulting. Students come from all over the world and work in a diverse a variety of places. Many are Americans who intend to return to the US, myself included. SCARP is one of two Canadian planning schools with American accreditation. I canít speak to the viability of UBC grads in the Seattle market, other than to say that Vancouver is well recognized for its planning and the schoolís integrated hands-on experience with the city is appreciable elsewhere.

So far as practical planning skills go, it depends on what youíre seeking. Unlike other programs, SCARP doesnít have a tightly prescribed curriculum, largely allowing students design their own specialization. If you were seeking a focus in transportation, it would be up to you to design your schedule accordingly. SCARP students can also take courses at Simon Fraser University (and vice versa). This said, the school is recognized as being particularly strong in the theoretical aspects of planning. Itís impossible to graduate without a good helping of theory.

In response to your questions about on-campus living, there are a few students who live on campus (mostly internationals). Admittedly, most of us live somewhere else in the city. Iíve attended commuter schools in the past and UBC isnít nearly so desolate. There is an active campus life and the school is pretty massive (45,000+ students). Iíll see if I can encourage some of those who live on-campus to give you their input. If youíre at all interested in living off-campus, Vancouver has a range of interesting neighborhoods and decent public transit (which is covered in student fees). Though the city can be expensive, SCARPís extremely affordable tuition balances things out.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions, feel free to pass them along.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2007
    That was great, thank you, if I have more questions I'll definitely send them your way!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    jimmyjazz mentioned transportation planning and I wouldn't recommend UBC as a place to go if you're interested in transportation since there's only one guy specialized in the field.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by nvijaya View post
    jimmyjazz mentioned transportation planning and I wouldn't recommend UBC as a place to go if you're interested in transportation since there's only one guy specialized in the field.
    I have a very mild interest in transportation planning, but I'm really into hazard and disaster planning/environmentally planning, which it seems like UBC has a lot of. It's one of the few schools in North America that even offer disaster planning as a concentration, which is why it's on my list. Thanks so much

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Apr 2013, 11:12 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 03 Jun 2011, 3:15 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 21 Dec 2010, 8:35 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Dec 2008, 9:59 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last post: 22 Jan 2004, 5:41 PM