Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Medium density housing - Bendigo (Victoria) - research project

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007

Medium density housing - Bendigo (Victoria) - research project

Hello Good People

Currently, as part of my undergrad course, I am undertaking a 45-day Work Placement with our Local Government Strategic Planning Unit.

For a long time I have had an interest in planning for better (more sustainable) use of finite resources. In the context of this thread (and the research topic in general), urban land suitable for housing is the finite resource in question.

The research topic I have chosen to compliment both my studies, and to help meet the requirements of the Local Housing Policy in the Greater Bendigo Planning Scheme is, Medium Density Housing in Urban Bendigo: Opportunities and Constraints.

It is with the above in mind that I now put out the 'feelers' to all of you, the Good People of Cyburbia, in the hope that you can help me locate sources of information relating to the above research topic.

I have some knowledge of the topic, and I am currently being mentored in this project by a great team, however I am of the opinion that one can never have too much information at one's disposal.

Banks of knowledge that I am currently exploring include:

Transit-orientated Development (TOD)
    New Urbanism (all schools of thought)
    Intelligent Urbanism (i.e. Benninger)
    Pattern Language (Alexander, et al)
    Compact Cities (various)
    Resilient Cities (Newman, et al)
    Transit Cities (various), plus many more!

My request to you is this: Could you please spare a minute or two and provide me with your links to databases, research clearing houses, journal articles, authors, or any other source you think relevant to the topic. The (geographic) scope of the study ranges from the local (Bendigo, Victoria, Australia), through to the international. I'm particularly looking for case studies of finished developments that show the spectrum of design responses - "the good, the bad, and the ugly". Community (neighbours, councillors, professionals alike) attitudes to MD housing is another area that I need to explore widely.

For the purpose of this study, medium-density housing is defined as:

Semi-detached dwellings, row-houses, villa units, shop tops, and (walk up) apartment complexes no greater than 3 levels high.

Thank you all very much in advance for your time, knowledge and wisdom.

Mark Chesterfield
    3rd year Bachelor of Urban, Rural and Environmental Planning - La Trobe University (Bendigo Campus)
    Cadet Planner - City of Greater Bendigo

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Your request seems to have been languishing for a few days eco. Maybe if you advance your research and narrow the inquiry you are posting you will recieve a better response.

PS. I've got nothing for you on your original post that wouldn't be blindingly obvious.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    Thanks Rem

Research (review of existing literature and case studies) is currently being conducted at the broadest level in the hope that I can locate example from the widest possible perspective.

While the topic is narrow (as it responds to a Local Policy), the theme itself is huge - Medium Density Residential Development.

In making a request to the global planning community for leads to further sources of information I did hope that I would flush out a few 'planning tragics' (such as myself). However it may be that the terminology used - Medium Density - is causing some confusion. But it is the local vernacular, so I think I'll persevere with it.

Cheerio All, Mark.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 16 Sep 2009, 4:21 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 06 Feb 2007, 8:40 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 May 2004, 2:41 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Jun 1997, 7:06 PM