Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Civil engineering & urban planning degrees

Registered
    Jan 2009

Civil engineering & urban planning degrees

I'm a freshmen currently studying civil engineering, yet I'm becoming more interested in urban planning. How useful will my civil eng degree be if I try to study urban planning in grad school? My university doesn't have a urban planning major, and I want a civil engineering degree to keep my options open. This is mainly driven by my love of cities and hatred of suburbia and car culture, and my youthfully naive desire change it.
    Last edited by LukaLuka; 19 Jan 2009 at 8:43 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Being PE/AICP will open many doors for you. There are some grad programs that offer a dual Master's Degree in Civil Engineering and Urban and Regional Planning. It usually takes more than two years, but it may be worth it to you.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Understanding Engineering will make you a better Planner and understanding Planning will make you a better Engineer!

A double major will open doors, IMHO. If you get both PE license and AICP You would be very valuable to a consulting firm or working for a small jurisdiction in an area that has teeth in planning requirements (like Florida where the process is far from ideal, but where if you ignore it the jurisdiction can get into trouble).

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Combining the two is definitely a plus if you plan on doing infrastructure or transportation planning. Growing up, I would often go to work with my father who worked as a site engineer. Spending time in the trailers overlooking plans, hearing the issues that people ran into on the site has definitely help me converse with engineers and understand their issues.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Oct 2013, 5:55 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 26 Oct 2013, 9:58 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 May 2008, 11:26 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 19 Jul 2006, 4:50 PM
  5. Replies: 57
    Last post: 07 Mar 2006, 3:15 PM