Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The NEVERENDING Traffic Violation Complaint Thread

Registered
    Jan 2005

The NEVERENDING Traffic Violation Complaint Thread

This weekend I learned that going 75 miles per hour on the Mass. Turnpike will get you a $100 speeding ticket. That is correct folks, 75 m.ph. Apparently there is no cushion zone where they gave you ten m.p.h. over the limit in Mass., and judging by the number of other motorists I saw pulled over along the highway I'm guessing I was not the only driver mistaken about that. Technically I was speeding so should I decide to challenge this (doubtful) my defense could only be: "C'mon. 75, everybody goes 75, are you kidding me", but I'm sure this won't cut it.

I'll submit this for the most ridiculous speeding ticket ever, but I suspect there are more horrific examples of traffic violation injustice out there... to be documented about in this, the first ever, NEVERENDING traffic violation complaint thread...

Registered
    Nov 2006
    36 in a 25. I know that I was going 11 over but it's really embarassing to explain that I got a ticket for traveling at the warp speed of 36 mph.
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i got nabbed for doing 80mph on the Pike right outside Lee. my pleas regarding a new job, buying a house, having to move resulted in a blank stare from the cop and a response of, "You were doing 80."

if i'm going to speed i try to stay around 9 mph over the speed limit. fines seem to increase at 10mph +.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I'll submit this for the most ridiculous speeding ticket ever
    What's ridiculous about it? You were speeding. We all do it, and we all know we run the risk of getting a ticket when we speed. Yeah, usually they'll spot you 5 to 10 miles over, but not always. To paraphrase, don't do the crime if you can't pay the fine.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    What's ridiculous about it?
    Everbody goes 75, that's the speed of traffic on the turnpike.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    For a few mercifully brief years, Michigan had a strange ordinance on the books. Apparently a legislator learned that some drivers travel around uninsured, and once caught, will buy a couple days' worth to have the ticket revoked. A law got passed. This was ramped up to impose heavy fines for those lacking the piece of paper on-board. I got caught in that once, and actually set foot in the criminal justice system.

A friend got caught even worse. Above I mentioned DWB, which probably set things off for him. If memory serves, the state code required all kinds of heavy fines and penalties, to be compounded, as punishment. This effectively prevents just about anyone from catching up to the ticket and then being able to afford car insurance.

My buddy has a strong network of friends to provide rides. I think he worked out storage for his double bass with the local symphony.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I got a ticket going 71 in a 65 mph zone. After a 19 hour day (work, seminar/class, library) , I was in a hurry to get home. I passed an 18-wheeler on the highway, and a cop clocked me on the other side.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Improper lane change ranks among the more stupid.

Last year I was on a jury that convicted a fellow for DUI...he never left the garage! But the letter of the law, you know. After the trial, even the judge said that there is something wrong when you could be arrested for having a beer while mowing your lawn on a riding mower.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Would the people who say, "But it was only 5 mph over!" (or 10...) also say that they shouldn't be arrested for murder because it was just one victim? Is there like a 5 victim cushion before it's a punishable offense?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    74 in a 55 on a rural highway. Ticket fixed by boss to $50 and no points from $225 and 4 points. Last ticket was expired registration....15 minutes after it expired at midnight. Bored cop I suppose-$65 and no points.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Last time I got pulled over was for doing 50 in a 40 zone..... right after Stanfest 2. Yes, Dan was a passenger. (I appreciated the sentiment behind him getting in the cops face on my behalf. But staggering around while waving an empty 40 at the cop and saying "Man, you don't wanna f*** with us - we KNOW people, man! We're government officials" was perhaps a mistake in retrospect)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Last time I got pulled over was for doing 50 in a 40 zone..... right after Stanfest 2. Yes, Dan was a passenger. (I appreciated the sentiment behind him getting in the cops face on my behalf. But staggering around while waving an empty 40 at the cop and saying "Man, you don't wanna f*** with us - we KNOW people, man! We're government officials" was perhaps a mistake in retrospect)
    Ah, but using Dan as a decoy and telling the officer that you were just trying to get your drunk friend home before he spewed in the floorboard was genius man!
    (Yes I have done this and yes I was the decoy - fun as anything telling a cop to quit f**king with my friend). The cop told us to go straight home and actually followed us for a couple miles.

Last time I was pulled was for doing 57 in a 50 mph zone, downhill on a rural highway at 10:30 pm and nobody else around. Had ticket reduced to "improper equipment" due to speedometer not calibrated, so I got a warning - I knew a good lawyer.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Looking at it a different way, based on my perspective. The uninsured driver that did this (costing us $11,000) walked with a reckless driving charge because 1) he had a good attorney and 2) a lazy judicial system that never interviewed a single witness.

On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Having had to sit in traffic court here at town hall (waiting for my sign violators to get their time..) I have come to the conclusion that "speed of traffic" or not there is no excuse for traffic tickets.
    Maybe we just don't have the "cushion" of 5-10 miles around here, but if you're caught, you're caught.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Everbody goes 75, that's the speed of traffic on the turnpike.
    If the posted speed limit is less than 75 mph, everyone who drives 75 is speeding.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Ticketed for having an expired registration. I was one day late, I was going home from the courthouse where I'd bought the damn sticker, and hadn't slapped it on the license plate at the courthouse because it was pouring down rain. Even though I had it and showed it to the cop, I got a ticket.

I was going down an exit ramp that divided into two lanes and I was moving into the left lane and some b*tch came flying down the ramp on the shoulder and hit me. I was a kid, she was middle-aged, so the cop just handed me a ticket. Never listened to my side of the story, and since it was rush hour, no witnesses stuck around. I lived 2 hrs away from the accident site, so my dad the lawyer told me to suck it up and pay the fine instead of losing a day's pay to contest a losing battle.

On the other hand, I once was stopped for speeding very late at night and just told the cop "I'm tired, it's 2 a.m., sorry, I just want to get home" and he said thanks for telling the truth, and let me go.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The only time I got ticketed was when I got pulled over in Wisconsin on 4th of July weekend coming back from Summerfest (and no, I had not been drinking) for going 82 or 79 mph in a 65 (79 at the top of the hill, 82 at the bottom). Also, for those that don't know, WI cops love to pull over IL people, and it's 4th of July weekend when all the cops are out, so in hindsight, I should have been more vigilant. Wound up with a ticket for $175 or something ridiculous like that. I just paid the fine.

Also, has anyone ever gotten pulled over on-the-job by the town you work for? I'm an intern and was driving my personal vehicle to go deliver something, so the cops probably didn't know it was me. Anyways, I ended up turning right on a red light where you weren't supposed to. I completely didn't realize this was one of those intersections and did not see the sign. The cop let me off with a warning...I wonder if that's because he realized I worked for the muncipality once he saw me or if he was just being nice. Anyone else ever encounter such a situation?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Ive been pulled over two times.

First, a friend who was a policeman saw my car and pulled me over just to scare me.

Second, me and a bunch of friends left a pizza place one night. I hadn't had anything to drink but my friends had and we were all rowdy. So I had to take a sobriety test. Dilemma: should you say the alphabet fast or slow? The worst part was when the policeman asked me where I was. I had been pulled over on a strip of El Camino on the peninsula way south of San Francisco. I told the officer the pizza place was in Sunnyvale, and a mile up was Stanford so that had to be Palo Alto, but I had no idea what city I was in now. He said it was a trick question. Only people who could answer were drunk.

So never had any tickets. But then I only drive about once a month now. But knock on wood...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Gedunker, I don't understand the pic. I see several cars with flat itres, missing tail lights. Is that an out of control side swipe?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

DetroitPlanner the Dodge Ram was totaled; the Cherokee escaped with a ruined rim; the Rodeo was totaled; and, the Civic was totaled. (The Rodeo and Civic were ours; the Cherokee my wife's company vehicle.)

The young man driving the offending vehicle had a BAC of .18 when he apparently fell asleep and struck the Ram. He then glanced the Cherokee with his front right strut puncturing the tire and rim. By this point we surmise he accidentally hit the accelerator and pushed the Rodeo up onto the sidewalk then continued into the Civic which came to rest about 35 feet from where it had been parked (with the handbrake set and sitting along the curb). It was 4.19 am and so loud that my daughter woke up (she was five then) and asked when the "thunderstorm" would be over.

Here's a photo of the Isuzu.

On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2007
    The 4th of July after I graduated from High School, me and a few friends went to Myrtle Beach for a week. I was driving my piece of crap Mazda to the beach. After a week of enjoying the beach we get in the car to head home and I notice the speedometer is not working. Since it was a Saturday afternoon there was no way to get the speedometer repaired. I decide that I will just have to be careful and go with the flow of traffic.

30 minutes down the road I am driving on a fairly empty freeway when I see a cop make a u-turn in the median. Needless to say I got pulled over for going 77 in a 65. The cop of course didn't believe that my car, full of sun-burned and tired teenagers, had a broken speedometer. A month later I had to drive 5 hours back to the beach and fight the ticket. Got the ticket dropped from $195 and 2 points to no fine and 1 point, because the judge wanted to teach me a "lesson".

Registered
    Aug 2001
    HA I got pulled over for driving too slow once. My transmission dropped the high gears while I was on the freeway, 2 miles from work. I stayed on the freeway with my hazard lights on, but the ramp to work was an exit from the left (i.e. fast) lane. $170 ticket later and by noon I had a new car.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    about a month prior to moving to NY my MA inspection ran out but the registration was still valid. so i got it inspected and had the sticker on the window etc. when i moved to NY i had 30 days to change my registration, which i did. however, when they asked about my inspection i said i just had it done in MA. they said that's fine. a MA inspection is acceptable but when it expires you'll have to get a NY inspection. okie, no problem.

i was fine for about 6 months, then in a span of two weeks i got pulled over 4 times, all in the same neighboring town, and asked to show my valid inspection.

it was quite gratifying, after the intial adrenaline shock of being pulled over, to be able to point to my MA inspection and say, "There it is, Officer" and have them apologize and walk away.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Got 2 violations during my driving life (let's see 55 minus 16 equals 39 years or so), one for a stop sign violation (in Houston during the 80's) and one for not wearing a seat belt in Taylor TX last year................no speeding tickets, but have been stopped and warned a few times a long time ago...............didn't know they could stop you for a seat belt..........oh well live and learn..............

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Three of your cars at once.... While they were parked! What a nightmare!

Totalling a Ram AND a Rodeo, thats a major feat those cares are built like tanks. He must have been a 'class A @$$hole!'
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING Joy Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 01 May 2013, 9:39 AM
  2. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 8:40 PM
  3. Replies: 5