Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Question about value of 2010 census jobs for MUP students

Registered
    Jun 2008

Question about value of 2010 census jobs for MUP students

I am in my second semester of a MUP program. I live in Michigan, where the umemployment rate is very high. I am out of work myself but had a little money saved up, which is why I am back in school.

Money is really tight, but I feel fortunate that I have the opportunity to be in school studying something I enjoy. Anyway, it's really early in the program for me, but my goal is to get some sort of outside-the-classroom urban planning experience. Since even internships are hard to get, I was thinking about working for the census?

Do you think that census experience would be of some value to a MUP student and would it look good on my resume? What if the only position available is census taker, has anyone done this and what exactly is involved (i.e. do you have a partner or go out alone, do you get to work with the data in any way)?

Of course, with so many people out of work in Michigan, I am not sure that I will even be able to get any sort of position with the census. I take the test tomorrow and will go from there.

Sorry to the mods if I posted in the wrong spot. I tried a Forum Search and just couldn't find anything which is why I am posting at all.

Thanks for any guidance anyone can provide.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    I don't really know the day to day of census taking, but could you possibly use the experience and maybe the data towards a paper or thesis? If I were in your shoes I might try to combine any data that the bureau allows to be used towards a GIS project or something.

The data is probably confidential so that could be an issue; but if thats the case maybe it could pique your interest in some area that overlaps between demographic data and urban plannning.

Registered
    Jun 2008
    Thanks... I guess I will just take the test and see what happens!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I did census work in 1990 (I'm, old) It did pay off so go for it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Mar 2013, 12:43 AM
  2. Census 2010
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 19 Aug 2011, 5:52 PM
  3. Replies: 25
    Last post: 02 Apr 2010, 8:19 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 03 Feb 2010, 9:02 AM