Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Oklahoma City and Norman photos

Registered
    Jun 2007

Oklahoma City and Norman photos

I just posted 130-some odd photos of Oklahoma City to the gallery that I'm sure do not do the city justice (unless you think Oklahoma is some podunk place with either no urban culture or simply a run-down one) in addition to about 10 of Norman. OKC pics are in the "Oklahoma - Oklahoma City" folder and the Norman pics are in the "Oklahoma - Other" folder. Enjoy, and give me some feedback. Positive, negative, whatever. Most people here know I can take it (and dish it right back out... )

Registered
    Feb 2007
    That bison is sweet and I really like the Skirvin Hotel. The Bricktown area looks really nice too.

The streets and sidewalks look eerily deserted in many of the pics though (mostly the Downtown and Uptown pics) - is that just because of the date you took the pics? (Dec 26)
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I posted this on the pic too, but here's what the Underground signs are referring to:

http://www.downtownokc.com/Portals/1...ice_map_05.pdf

I remembered watching some documentary about tunnel systems in North America awhile back that had Oklahoma City as one of the featured cities.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    That bison is sweet and I really like the Skirvin Hotel. The Bricktown area looks really nice too.

The streets and sidewalks look eerily deserted in many of the pics though (mostly the Downtown and Uptown pics) - is that just because of the date you took the pics? (Dec 26)
    For the most part. Downtown is usually kind of dead after about 7:00 anyways, but we took these photos in the middle of the day the day after Christmas, so no one was at work. Uptown is sort of more autocentric in practice than it's design calls for, which I find odd since there are so many apartments and living units in the vicinity. I think that's somewhere Oklahoma City has a lot of potential in, too. Bricktown was also less active than usual, even for daylight hours.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I interviewed in Norman a couple of decades ago. After a tour, I was asked for a general observation. I noted that there appears to be no real downtown center. The other applicants said the same thing. None of us were selected.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    There is now a downtown center in Norman. I will be sure to take pictures next time I am there. The old downtown area along Main and Gray Streets has been brilliantly renovated, including a streetscape project that had downtown torn up for my first year as a student at OU.

That being said, Norman can be split into 2 parts: Older, college and regional town Norman and suburban OKC Norman. They're roughly delineated by their relationship to I-35. West of I-35 is definitely suburban OKC (although I'm sure a number of them work for OU or at the Postal Training Center, etc., in Norman as well. Eastern Norman is very much classic mid-sized Oklahoma town, with a defined grid and a lot of old housing stock of varying sizes, prices, and level of upkeep, and with new housing looking a bit more rural than suburban. Downtown and OU are in this section of town, and are separated by about a mile or so and connected via University, Asp, and Jenkins roads.
    Last edited by TexanOkie; 22 Jan 2009 at 12:15 PM.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I seem to recall that the 25th Anniversary Playboy Playmate, Candy Loving, was from Norman or is an Oklahoma grad. I don't know why I remember this or if it has anything whatsoever to do with this thread.

The drink is strong tonight.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2005
    TO, these are nice. Oklahoma City seems like its been nicely cleaned up and restored, but where are all (or any) of the people?! Is it like this much of the time, or was this during church or something? I was wondering how cities like this are faring int he current economic climate. Did you notice much fallout? (recently closed stores, foreclosures, lots of homes for sale)? Just curious.

My parents (and aunt and uncle) went to and met at OSU (then Oklahoma A&M) in Stillwater, but I will refrain from participation in intra-state rivalries...

And no Aggie jokes from you all either...

I actually grew up in Pennsylvania but have always wanted to spend some more time visiting my parents' homes (Stillwater, Tulsa, Bartlesville, Pauls Valley, Ada). Grandmom passed in 1996 in Tulsa (the only place I have spent any time) so I don't have any more reason to visit for family there.

Anyway, these pics renew my desire to explore the Homeland. My parents painted a kind of bad picture of Oklahoma because I think they found their own childhoods so unpleasant and closed-minded. Thanks for helping to improve the image...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    TO, these are nice. Oklahoma City seems like its been nicely cleaned up and restored, but where are all (or any) of the people?! Is it like this much of the time, or was this during church or something? I was wondering how cities like this are faring int he current economic climate. Did you notice much fallout? (recently closed stores, foreclosures, lots of homes for sale)? Just curious.

My parents (and aunt and uncle) went to and met at OSU (then Oklahoma A&M) in Stillwater, but I will refrain from participation in intra-state rivalries...

And no Aggie jokes from you all either...

I actually grew up in Pennsylvania but have always wanted to spend some more time visiting my parents' homes (Stillwater, Tulsa, Bartlesville, Pauls Valley, Ada). Grandmom passed in 1996 in Tulsa (the only place I have spent any time) so I don't have any more reason to visit for family there.

Anyway, these pics renew my desire to explore the Homeland. My parents painted a kind of bad picture of Oklahoma because I think they found their own childhoods so unpleasant and closed-minded. Thanks for helping to improve the image...
    All the people are at home in bed or with relatives because I took the photos on the chilly day after Christmas, so no one was at work and I didn't hang around until evening to see if any nightlife showed up. Nightlife would predominantly be in Bricktown, sometimes the Paseo, and occasionally Tower Records and scattered locales downtown.All the people are at home in bed or with relatives because I took the photos on the chilly day after Christmas, so no one was at work and I didn't hang around until evening to see if any nightlife showed up. Nightlife would predominantly be in Bricktown, sometimes the Paseo, and occasionally Tower Records and scattered locales downtown, or in Norman.

Now if I had gone to any of the suburban malls or shopping centers, they were probably packed with returns/exchange line people.

Off-topic:
    Oklahoma-Oklahoma State is a fun rivalry, sure, but it's not hatred, at least on most of OU's part. Hatred seems to be reserved for Texas. Nebraska is respectful and Oklahoma State is fun. I root for OSU when they're not playing OU. It's good for the state. And academic rivalries damage the state. Each school has it's specialties and so far they haven't really been opposed in that regard.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I am planning on being in OKC for OU economic development institute in April...assuming it survived the latest round of budget cuts.

Once I am sure and have everything locked in I will see what you recommend. Even though my father is an Okie I have never been unless you count driving through.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ahheem.....

Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    TO, these are nice. Oklahoma City seems like ...blah blah blah......
    Obviously you Didn't get the memo....I'm TO He's Okie or Okester or TOKE whatever

Nice pics TOKE

Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Obviously you Didn't get the memo....I'm TO He's Okie or Okester or TOKE whatever

Nice pics TOKE

In order to placate His Royal Highness, The One (), I shall henceforth be referred to in abbreviated Cyburbia slang as "TXOK" or just "Okie". However, I reserved the right to be called "TO" should I ever surpass The One in post count. Sound fair?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    What is that Tower Records? A local music store - or is it something more? I assume it's not related to the old Tower Records chain that started in Sacramento and went belly up a couple years ago.

Registered
    Mar 2004

He he he.....

Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Off-topic:

In order to placate His Royal Highness, The One (), I shall henceforth be referred to in abbreviated Cyburbia slang as "TXOK" or just "Okie". However, I reserved the right to be called "TO" should I ever surpass The One in post count. Sound fair?
    Sure Okie is a good sport and obviously has a sense of humor
    I will buy you a brewski if/when we meet someday ok
    For some reason I liked the look of Tulsa (got any photos)....am I crazy or something??
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    What is that Tower Records? A local music store - or is it something more? I assume it's not related to the old Tower Records chain that started in Sacramento and went belly up a couple years ago.
    It was affiliated with the old Tower Records chain. It has since kept it's name and has converted to an independent record store, with the theater in its rear used for concerts. There used to be some pretty hard bands who went through there, according to my wife. Hard bands and goth stuff like she and her brother used to listen to were never really my cup of tea. My music was always on NW Expressway and around Lake Hefner, where there are (well used to be) several jazz/dinner/dance clubs. There might be one or two remaining. I know the one I used to frequent often, a Mediterranean place at North Park Mall, has shut down.

Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Sure Okie is a good sport and obviously has a sense of humor
    I will buy you a brewski if/when we meet someday ok
    For some reason I liked the look of Tulsa (got any photos)....am I crazy or something??
    I do not have any photos of Tulsa, unfortunately. I was never a big photographer until I joined Cyburbia, and even then it's been recently. When I get up to Tulsa again I will definitely bring my camera. Tulsa has a prettier skyline and natural environment (foothills to the Ouachitas and Ozarks), plus a much larger, almost navigable river (the farthest inland port in the US is just outside the city limits of Tulsa). Tulsa also has more money/person than OKC.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hi from Oklahoma City
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Jun 2012, 6:29 PM
  2. Norman Rockwell
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 03 Feb 2010, 2:09 PM
  3. New York City II (photos)
    Cities and Places