Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Flying the Flag: Split From Random Thoughts

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

Flying the Flag: Split From Random Thoughts

Gotta place an "Mskis"-esque post here:
    I was listening to people call in on the AM dial yesterday and I was struck by a couple things. The liberal-based demographics were calling in and saying: "This is the first time in 8 years I put out my American flag". This, even as a left-leaning kind of guy, really chapped my ass. I hated W as much as the next person, but I still flew my flag.

I guess America and its flag meant a little more to me than to others... To me it represents so much MORE than who is in the highest office.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    I was listening to people call in on the AM dial yesterday and I was struck by a couple things. The liberal-based demographics were calling in and saying: "This is the first time in 8 years I put out my American flag". This, even as a left-leaning kind of guy, really chapped my ass. I hated W as much as the next person, but I still flew my flag.

I guess America and its flag meant a little more to me than to others... To me it represents so much MORE than who is in the highest office.
    Quality!

The first week we had our new house, I installed a new bracket and flag to show my support of our fine nation. I was extremely disappointed that so many people put campaign election signs out, but will not put an American Flag out.

I still remember the night of 9/11 driving back to campus and seeing all the little kids on the front porches waving American flags. If this radio guy did not have an American Flag out that week because of who was president, then that is truly sad. At least he now has a flag flying.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Right there with you, zman.

I was in opposition to my country being involved in a war in Vietnam and I protested.

I was drafted but I served my country to the best of my ability.

I returned to civilian life and I protested my country being at war in Vietnam.

I have frequently disagreed with the President in office at the time. That included Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, GHW Bush, Clinton, and GW Bush. I'm already not enchanted with some of the plans and decisions of Obama.

Despite that I've always flown the flag to salute the past, celebrate the present, and hold out hope for the future. It's my country when it's right and it's my country when it's wrong. But I can still disagree and act to force change without putting the flag away.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    Quality!

The first week we had our new house, I installed a new bracket and flag to show my support of our fine nation. I was extremely disappointed that so many people put campaign election signs out, but will not put an American Flag out.

I still remember the night of 9/11 driving back to campus and seeing all the little kids on the front porches waving American flags. If this radio guy did not have an American Flag out that week because of who was president, then that is truly sad. At least he now has a flag flying.
    I don't fly a flag because I know there are certain rules of etiquette that I wouldn't be able to follow all the time. For one, you are supposed to only fly it between sunrise and sunset or else have it illuminated at night. I am not able to do either of those things probably 80% of the time. From what I remember you are supposed to not display it in inclement weather, certain days are half mast days, and there may be some other things. I just know if I put one up I wouldn't be able to maintain it correctly because mainly of my crazy schedule, so I guess I'd rather not display it at all than to display it incorrectly.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I only fly a flag and my camper site. Its how folks know I am "home". It comes in at night and in bad weather. Once I forgot to put it away, and a neighbor kindly took care of it for me.

Registered
    May 2005
    Perhaps we should have a neverending flags thread.
    Moderator note:
    maister: ask and ye shall receive

I've never flown an American flag anywhere I've lived. I may get slammed for this, but I think some people just do it as a "Look at me, I'm flying my flag! I'm patriotic!" kind of statement. I don't need to fly the flag to show my patriotism. I'd rather do it with actions. But I also think it's ok to burn the flag in protest. (ducks and runs for cover)

And I would venture to guess that the majority of left-leaning radio call-in people that zman referenced probably didn't fly a flag before GWB was in office anyways. They're just calling into the radio to try and prove a point.

All that being said, I wonder if there is even any data regarding % of people that fly a flag at their house during different points over the past 100 years.
    Last edited by Maister; 22 Jan 2009 at 5:05 PM. Reason: split thread
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003

I hear you... I haven't always had a flag out, but I've always owned one and at least put it out on key national holidays.

In my current house, it's out everyday as part of my morning and evening routine. Part of my reason is that my house has a great spot for an angle-mounted flag that looks really nice.

I've never viewed it as a "look at me! I'm so patriotic" type of behavior. It's more of a personal preference thing and flying/not flying does not make someone more/less patriotic.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    And I would venture to guess that the majority of left-leaning radio call-in people that zman referenced probably didn't fly a flag before GWB was in office anyways. They're just calling into the radio to try and prove a point.
    True, I could see that.

I admit, the flag flying rules are somewhat hard, but it takes a small effort. I don't know why, but the flag issues get to me. What I don't like is that you're not supposed to wear flag related things as advertisments, or on clothing.

And to be honest, btrage I rarely get the feeling around residential flag displaying as "look at me, I'm patriotic"; but I do cringe at a local car dealer that flies a HUGE flag and says "come on down to ******** Nissan, located on Hwy 287, under the BIG American Flag."
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear is proud to fly the American flag. I do it often. And what does it represent? To me more than anything else it represents freedom.....including the freedom to burn the flag in protest.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Hello, my name is Gedunker and I am an authority of the appropriate times and ways of displaying the National Colors. For example, at my old Foursquare:

Like zman I despise using the Colors for advertising purposes and have been known to comment on it in front of the perpetrator. Alas, to no effect.

Finally, the canton (the field of stars) is always displayed in the upper left whether the colors are hung vertically or horizontally. The movie Hoosiers drives me batty: every single flag in those gyms is backward. Acckkk!
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    In my current house, it's out everyday as part of my morning and evening routine. Part of my reason is that my house has a great spot for an angle-mounted flag that looks really nice.
    This is a good point. It seems that some houses are just better designed for having flags attached to them.

My wife bought me an outdoor flag from our undergrad university but I've never put it up because nowhere seems just right.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I've never flown the flag but may look at getting one now that we have a great spot to fly it. Would only do it for Canada Day. Personally, I think everyday flag flying should be left to civic landmarks, public buildings, etc.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Related article in my fair city newspaper -

HEADLINE: 'Flag patrol' duty a little over the top
    http://www.courierpress.com/news/200...ps-over-flags/

HIGHLIGHTS:
    The woman, not identified by Fairfield City Police Chief Brad Winter, will not face charges for the unauthorized removal of seven tattered, faded American flags from businesses, government offices and private homes.

The Albion (Ill.) VFW has a long established "flag patrol" program that involves presenting a card to the owners of tattered American flags, asking that they be taken down and replaced. What's not part of the "flag patrol" program is the actual removal of the flags.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I don't have a place for it currently but I have a nice U.S. Marine Corps storm size flag (4' 2" x 8') that has been flown aboard the U.S.S. Saipan and once I have a house and can put up a pole of appropriate size, it will be flown daily proudly.

I have storm size American flag that has been flown at the Marine Corps War Memorial (Iwo Jima Memorial) that will also be flown on the 4th of July, Veterens' Day, Memorial Day, etc. when I have the space.

I also have a post sized U.S. flag (10' x 20') that has been flown at both the Washington Monument and aboard Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune. That flag is probably a bit large for any sort of pole that I would be able to put up at home but it's still an interesting thing to have (they actually change out the flags at the U.S. Capital, White House, Washington Monument, etc... multiple times each day and the flags are then given as souvenirs to deserving souls; I got mine the first time I separated from the Marine Corps by my boss General Peter Pace who was about to be promoted to Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs).

Occasionally I will see news stories about older veterans who put up a Marine Corps flag at their home in the subdivision only to be told by their HOA that flags other than the U.S. flag are not allowed. That really bothers me (not just because that it's a Marine Corps... they should be allowed to put up any flag) and it's those stories that make me realize I never want to buy a home in an area with regulations like that.

My last thought on the subject of flags... As far as the armed services go, I quite often see folks with Marine Corps flags flying at their home but rarely see them with Army or Navy flags and have never seen somebody flying an Air Force flag. What's up with that? It's sort of contrary to what you would expect considering that the Marine Corps is traditionally the smallest branch in number of personnel. I guess we are just a proud breed.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2007
    My parents put a flag out from time to time but have recently stopped since it didn't seem right to have it out during bad weather when they weren't able to take it down. It bugged me a bit how everyone after 9/11 had car flags, it seemd almost like the 'popular' thing to do. Don't even get me started on people who use the flag to advertise! But as Bear said it is all about freedom.

Registered
    Feb 2003

North v South?

My grandfather had a flag pole in his front yard and did the ritual every morning/night, always the same, folding it perfectly. In my neighborhood there is only one/house guy that does that. I have always lived in southern cities, and honestly, I just dont recall seeing that many houses with American flags over there years (regardless of the pres). If a flag was on a house, it was more likey to be the local SEC school than a political flag of any sorts (state, nation). American flags were basically at the gov't buildings and banks and such. However when I would visit my family in Indiana, there were American flags everywhere, on almost at least every other house, if not more.

So, I wonder if there is a systematic flag flying difference in northern and southern cities? I am not saying that southerners are not happy to be an American, I am just pointing out an underlying cultural trend in the two different geo regions; different cultural norms regarding this issue if you will. Someone should take a pole, make a study out of it "Flag flying trends by region" [free thesis topic.]

I own a flag, but it sits in the shed. I should go put it up (as soon as I by a pole).
    "Those who plan do better than those who do not plan, even though they rarely stick to their plan." - Winston Churchill

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    I can't name a single family member or even an acquaintance who flies any sort of flag in the UK, be it the Union Jack or St. George's Cross. You Yanks and your in-your-face patriotism...

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by H View post
    So, I wonder if there is a systematic flag flying difference in northern and southern cities? I am not saying that southerners are not happy to be an American, I am just pointing out an underlying cultural trend in the two different geo regions; different cultural norms regarding this issue if you will. Someone should take a pole, make a study out of it "Flag flying trends by region" [free thesis topic.]
    Hmmm, you may be on to something H. When I lived in SC you were more likely to see a flag for USC or Clemson on a person's house instead of an American flag. When I moved to MN and later IN, I saw a lot more American flags. I am not sure what the reasons are for the geographic differences. I don't believe people in the South are less patriotic, they may just show their patrioism in other ways?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    At the request of our neighbor, we are flying our flag today for her husband who is a Vietnam vet coming home from a long stint in the hospital.

H, is correct. When I visit my grandparents in Memphis during college football season, seemingly every house has a SEC school flag hanging from it.

All we have in Colorado are over-zealous Nebraska fans (if Nebraska is so great--what are you doing here) who decorate their houses on game day.

-Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 40
    Last post: 21 Oct 2010, 12:28 PM
  2. Da Boss (split from Random Thoughts)
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 25 Sep 2009, 3:18 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last post: 20 Aug 2008, 6:18 PM
  4. Replies: 29