Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MUP or MArch?

Registered
    May 2008

MUP or MArch?

This has probably been covered, but I'm currently an undergrad looking to go into either architecture, urban planning or historic preservation. My questions are:

1. Will getting an MArch qualify me for planning jobs if I decide to go that route, or would an MUP be necessary?

2. How much historic preservation do planners do? Is it more big picture stuff, and then the rest is left to architects?

3. Can you do Urban Design with an MUP, or do you need to have an architecture degree to practice that field?

Thanks for responding!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    M.Arch is known to have little to no result in an increase of salary. And if you were to wander to an industry outside of the realm of architecture, a M.Arch would not give you any higher ground than a B.Arch would.

You say you are currently an undergrad? How far in, and what study?

Registered
    Mar 2004

ahh....

M.Arch for sure.....from an accredited school, then get registered and join AIA....then write your own ticket......the end.
    Skilled Adoxographer
    I have two emotions....Silence and Rage

Registered
    May 2008
    I'm currently a senior, with the intention of applying to grad schools for Fall 2010. I'm a history major, but I've taken some arch design and stats courses and had a planning internship. I guess my main question is: Is an MArch more versatile than an MUP or MHP, like is an MArch transferable at all to planning or other fields? How versatile is an MUP?

Thanks!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    MArch seems to focused to be applicable to planning.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    an M.Arch will vary greatly depending on where you go to school. I know that U.Kentucky's M.Arch program allows you to choose a focus (UP, Technology, Design etc) and work on that as you go. You also end up leaving school with a unique skill set that in my experience lends itself really well towards planning, although you will come out stronger on the design side of it than the boring legal end. see this link for a semi-decent list of things you can do with an arch degree that aren't necessarily architecture.

an MHP is a much more limited degree field than an M.Arch from what i have seen, although you will be very good at writing and analysis if you finish it. Again, the program at UK lets you pick a focus, but at least when I was there the MHP was a pretty intense program - however the former director is gone and the current director is a much better person for the program (imo.)

if you do go for the M.Arch, like the one said, go to an accredited school so if you do choose you can get licensed.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'd go for the MArch. You'll learn a more specific, marketable skill, and will be able to veer towards urban design and land use issues.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008
    I recommend investigating the three degrees and evaluating their strengths and weaknesses. Look at how a MArch, MUP, MHP would get you closer to your main objective. Look at the drawbacks to each degree. Make your decision from there. Once you find out whats behind each program in terms of requirements, and then look at how the degree will benefit you, you will have made your decision.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. march on LA
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Mar 2006, 8:24 PM
  2. Trades of March
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Mar 2006, 11:00 AM
  3. March 9 - Caption Contest
    Friday Afternoon Club