Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Estimating the cost of constructing a parking garage [Was: please help]

Registered
    Jan 2009

Estimating the cost of constructing a parking garage [Was: please help]

Does anyone know the cost(or a web site) of some of the supplies, and what unit they would be measured in, that would be used in making a parking garage:
    cement
    rebar
    wires
    lights
    pipes
    (and anything else that i'm forgetting)
    I also need to know how much of each would go into each level of a 6 story garage on 2 acres of land. any help would be greatly appreciated

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Each site is different. How many parking spaces are there? How many entrance/exit ramps? Where are they located? How many elevators? Stairs? How much do you have to grade? Will there be any subgrade parking?

Bottom line, there are way too many factors when you are dealing with a project this large. We can't give you a cost-estimate until we see the design. Do you have CDs? I take it this is for an architecture or civil engineering class.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jan 2009
    It is for my high school economics class, so it doesn't have to be very exact. We need to make an invention and figure out how much it would cost to build. I basically thought of growing crops in a parking garage to save space in crowded areas. No parking spaces, all above ground, all the ground here is dry and rocky. For the sake of simplicity i'd better not include elevators. Just one entrance/exit would be needed. I have no clue about how much grade would be enough or too much.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005

Guestimate

A good rule of thumb for a parking deck is $25,000 per space.
    Blogging: Never have so many with so little to say said so much to so few.

Moderator note:
    Welcome to Cyburbia, grantg. I hope we'll be able to help you. Please know that we will not complete your homework assignment for you, but we will help you find the information you need to complete it for yourself. One thing we are sticklers about is descriptive thread titles and I have edited your vague thread title accordingly. Be sure to cite cyburbia.org as a resource in your bibliography

Okay, that's out of the way.

As nrschmid points out, there's a lot of variables that come to play in estimating construction costs. I noted you didn't include labor in your list, for example, nor overhead or profit. Nor did you indicate whether the garage is below grade or above, or both. All of these are important factors in estimating cost.

I would question BobH's rule of thumb -- and hope that it's a typo -- as in my neck of the woods, a good rule of thumb is a lot lower than 25big in my experience.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jan 2009
    In my neck of the woods, Washington DC, you can estimate 30-35K per space for below grade structured parking (i.e. a 3 story underground garage for ~650 cars will cost in the somewhere around 21.5 Million). Not sure on the costs of above grade structured but I believe it is significantly lower.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have you looked at the International Parking Institute website ?
    What does it cost to build a parking garage ?

http://www.parking.org/Value/FAQ/Default.aspx

Estimated cost of constructing one car parking space in a garage: $12,500
    http://www.cbcef.org/bike-commuting-statistics.html

5.4 Parking 5.4.1 Chapter IndexFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
    The construction of parking facilities, particularly parking structures, ..... Table 5.4.4-1 Parking Cost Estimate Summary Table – Selected Studies ...
    www.vtpi.org/tca/tca0504.pdf - Similar pages
    Last edited by JNA; 25 Jan 2009 at 10:14 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2005
    We use $12-15k per space as estimates for structured parking, and $30k for underground. You would be going no amenities so possibly as low as $10k per space.

FYI, we measure a garage's efficiency by dividing the whole structure's area by the total number of spaces. Average efficiency is 320-350 square feet per parking space. This means that the costs for ramps and entry areas are included in the cost estimates above. So once you know your total SF you can back-calculate to spaces and then costs.

I believe we use somewhere around $250 per space per year for maintenance and staffing.

Your project will have other costs which are not included in a typical parking garage, like lighting and irrigation for starters, plus alot more operating costs for energy, water, and personnel.

Looks like you'll need to be growing pot, poppies, or fancy-ass mushrooms to make it economical

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Don't forget about including the cost of the land itself. If the reent is high enough so that you will use a parking garage for growing agricultural consumables, I would anticipate this to be a huge dollar amount.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by grantg View post
    I basically thought of growing crops in a parking garage to save space in crowded areas. .
    So, basically a six story parking lot version of this?
    http://inlinethumb16.webshots.com/41...600x600Q85.jpg

I think this throws a whole wrench into the previous calculations.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by BobH View post
    I would question BobH's rule of thumb -- and hope that it's a typo -- as in my neck of the woods, a good rule of thumb is a lot lower than 25big in my experience.[/QUOTE]

when i was in school we were told $20,000 to $30,000 per space for deck parking, and $1,000 to $1,500 for surface lots. i guess geography has a lot to do with how much they cost :p

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    JNA and Random Traffic Guy are warmest. Unless there has been significant increase on concrete cost (possible) $13,000 to $15,000 per space all things being equal. Opposed to say $1,000 to $3,000 for surface lot.

Registered
    Jan 2009

cement

does $80 per MT for cement sound about right?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Grant, we're planners not estimators. The cost will also depend upon local economic factors.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2004
    I know that you'll all say I'm way off on this amount, and that you'll think it must be a typo, but I assure you that I'm really saying this: Our new (under construction) parking garage will cost apx. $45,000 per space, and it's above-ground (although they're removing half of a hill with dynamite to create enough flat land to put the garage on).

http://www.juneau.org/engineering/DTC/DTC.php

This site was chosen for several reasons, but one of the other city-owned lots that was considered would have required even more excavation, and was estimated to cost between $50-60K per space.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by permaplanjuneau View post
    I know that you'll all say I'm way off on this amount, and that you'll think it must be a typo, but I assure you that I'm really saying this: Our new (under construction) parking garage will cost apx. $45,000 per space, and it's above-ground (although they're removing half of a hill with dynamite to create enough flat land to put the garage on).

http://www.juneau.org/engineering/DTC/DTC.php

This site was chosen for several reasons, but one of the other city-owned lots that was considered would have required even more excavation, and was estimated to cost between $50-60K per space.
    While I would never underestimate the ability of governments to waste other people's money, that project doesn't seem to be too far out of line, considering the rock excavation, non-parking amenities within the building (assuming they are included in your costs), and cost of doing things in Alaska compared to US averages.

I do like the openness of that project website.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by BobH View post
    I've heard anywhere from $20,000 - $30,000 per space as a rough estimate for construction (not land).

Good Luck,

Also, you could call some engineering firms and pick their brains.

Registered
    Apr 2012

how much?

im writing a paper for my english 1010 english class on UTK's parking situation. and the solution my professor gave us is an eight story parking garage and i would like an estimate of how much that would cost to build an eight story parking garage

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by sydclare View post
    im writing a paper for my english 1010 english class on UTK's parking situation. and the solution my professor gave us is an eight story parking garage and i would like an estimate of how much that would cost to build an eight story parking garage
    As mentioned earlier, the cost of parking is dependant on other factors.

Why is the solution an eight story parking garage? Have you asked yourself that question?

Could it not lie in
    a. better transit?
    b. improved pedestrian access?
    c. more housing on campus?

What are the additional benefits of a garage over the benefits of some other solution? What would be best for the university? What would be best for Knoxville? Adding parking spaces may cause congestion issues or add to those that may already exist.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by sydclare View post
    Welcome Sydclare to Cyburbia! Glad to have you. Unfortunately as it has been pointed out already, we are not estimators. Nor are we good at finishing homework assignments. Maybe if you stick around for a while you can pick people's brians a bit more...

The McRib around here is $2.50 though.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Apr 2012

additonal costs

You'll need to consider soil conditions for the construction of the building. Also the gate system whether it'll be automatic of human controlled.
    You need sprinkler systems incase of a fire and extinguisher, also consider the cost of electricity for elevators. also neeed pavemnt markins and signage(these are usually the least costly)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Cost to build a parking garage
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Dec 2011, 5:00 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 27 Jun 2011, 7:53 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 19 Aug 2008, 9:33 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 9:15 PM