Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: State control of wind energy siting

Registered
    Mar 2003

State control of wind energy siting

In the Zoning Bulletin yesterday there was an article about the County challenging the State's authority to preempt county zoning laws and approve a wind turbine location.

Followed today by an email saying that the State of Kansas has a bill in the house stating that any city or county regulation would become void and unenforcable.

It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

What say the Throbbing Brain?

Any of you had issue with this?
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2008
    In Ontario we have problems with NIMBYs influencing local decision-making and delaying or cancelling wind projects; there are rumors the province will take away local zoning power for wind turbines.

Doesn't surprise me, as it is a power generation utility and here in Hoosierland, gas and electric are regulated at the state level, locals be damned.

According to maps I've seen, my part of Indiana is not ripe for turbines, anway.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

We have the cape wind fiasco here in Massachusetts. My view is that local people should have the right to oppose these things, but then they can't connect to the grid to the conventional power plants that afflict other communities.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 04 Oct 2012, 6:06 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 15 Jul 2009, 5:20 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 May 2009, 9:47 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Sep 2007, 6:27 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last post: 20 May 2005, 1:45 PM