Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: APA Jobs Online: indicator of bleak times for planners?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    As of this morning, there are no recruitments for public sector planners in Florida on either the APA or Florida APA web sites. That's gotta be a first.
    Wow. I can't say that I'm surprised. Daytona Beach and Palm Coast each had one posted for awhile (entry level position and senior level transportation planning position respectively). I guess they either hired those positions, stopped taking applications or abandoned the efforts altogether.

Quote Originally posted by aporitic View post
    Now I work for the IT department of a regional bank. I'm doing strategic planning for the lifecycle of some of the capital investments in IT technology and equipment. I'm also writing the management tools the company is going to use to put the plan into effect.
    Wow ... that's quite a transition. Did you have any previous experience at all in the banking industry or in IT perhaps, or is this your first foray into that arena? I'm impressed with that transition. I'm sure it was not an easy sell!

Sure, it's be tough to convince people that a planning backgroiund really means I have the chops needed to understand their situation and help them improve it. If all I get is one glance, the planning credential and background probably won't get me in the door. But, the first step in expanding my options in the job market is for ME to truly understand how broadly these skills can be applied.
    BTW, love your use of the word "chops" ... LOL! Sounds a little Kara like (as in American Idol judge Kara ... whatever her last name is.) But more seriously, did you talk with people outside the planning profession to get some coaching on how to translate your skills from one profession to the next?

Anyhow. These skills are powerful tools for addressing complicated organizations and problems of all types, not just local government-related issues. Look for places where you can use your facilitation skills or your ability to take a long-range look at a problem to help solve problems.
    Good advice, and makes a lot of sense. I think that in these times, we're all faced with the notion that we may have to reinvent ourselves, whether we like it or not. For some of us it might be temporary, and for some of us it might turn out to be a new path in our own personal development. Who knows. Either way, I'm personally grateful to still have a job, but I know that it could come to an end given the situation. I'm glad I threw my thoughts in on this particular thread. Thanks Aporitic for the thoughtful discussion.

-Gatr.
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 13 Mar 2009 at 2:57 PM. Reason: double reply

Registered
    Mar 2009

finding entry level position

Im 24 and Ive been looking to start my career in urban planning for the past six months now with no good news in site. This is so frustrating, im so tired of being tired and having no luck finding an entry level job. I can't even land an interview! i just want to give up and hibernate until things get better.
    I just completed, in November, serving the country doing more than 1700hrs of community service with Americorps NCCC, which is a 10month program for 18-24 year olds similiar to the Peacecorps but here in the U.S. I got to work in New Orleans and Biloxi MS building new houses and worked with Denver Mt. Parks building trails and cutting down dead trees from the pine beetles. It was fun and a great expierence that opened a lot of possibilities for me but the economy crashed just as I was ending the 10 month service and now im stuck. Before Americorps i recieved my BS in Geography, concentrating on Urban planning in May 07.
    I was wondering if anyone had any advise for where to look for entry level jobs in urban/regional or transportation planning. My goal is to land an entry level job in or around Denver cause i fell in love with that area when i was living out there last year. Im particularly fascinated with their new Lightrail system being set into place. Ive been looking on APA and in the city of Denver with no luck, i even sent out my resume to every agency and company involved with the construction of the lightrail, knowone is hiring. The only jobs that I see are for mid-senior level positions, but I don't have the expierence yet to be qualified for those positions. How am i suppose to get expierence when very fiew are hiring? Does anyone have any advise?
    Last edited by nfarnumplan; 13 Mar 2009 at 5:16 PM. Reason: adding more text

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by nfarnumplan View post
    Im 24 and Ive been looking to start my career in urban planning for the past six months now with no good news in site. This is so frustrating, im so tired of being tired and having no luck finding an entry level job. I can't even land an interview! i just want to give up and hibernate until things get better.
    I just completed, in November, serving the country doing more than 1700hrs of community service with Americorps NCCC, which is a 10month program for 18-24 year olds similiar to the Peacecorps but here in the U.S. I got to work in New Orleans and Biloxi MS building new houses and worked with Denver Mt. Parks building trails and cutting down dead trees from the pine beetles. It was fun and a great expierence that opened a lot of possibilities for me but the economy crashed just as I was ending the 10 month service and now im stuck. Before Americorps i recieved my BS in Geography, concentrating on Urban planning in May 07.
    I was wondering if anyone had any advise for where to look for entry level jobs in urban/regional or transportation planning. My goal is to land an entry level job in or around Denver cause i fell in love with that area when i was living out there last year. Im particularly fascinated with their new Lightrail system being set into place. Ive been looking on APA and in the city of Denver with no luck, i even sent out my resume to every agency and company involved with the construction of the lightrail, knowone is hiring. The only jobs that I see are for mid-senior level positions, but I don't have the expierence yet to be qualified for those positions. How am i suppose to get expierence when very fiew are hiring? Does anyone have any advise?
    I faced a similar environment when I returned from the first Gulf War in 1991. I decided to get a masters degree after six months of searching turned up nothing.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    nfarnumplan, times truly are rough these days for those looking for planning jobs. Those of us lucky enough to have positions live in a state of constant employment anxiety. Good planners with years of experience are collecting unemployment. I'm an Americorps grad from a few years ago who managed to get into the field just before the drawbridge closed due to the economy. My advice to you is to build off of your AmeriCorps experience by getting involved with a neighborhood-based organization - there is surely one in your area who could really use your planning skills. Cardinal's advice is very good as well. It's all about positioning yourself to be in a good place for the eventual turnaround.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    Those of us lucky enough to have positions live in a state of constant employment anxiety.
    Just to clarify, this does not apply to everyone. I am worry free for at least another year.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Part of why I took this position was because it was grant-funded for three years guaranteed (in a subject area that likely means it will be funded permanently under the leadership of either party).

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Florida is pretty much dead. The monthly Florida APA (March 2009) journal did not have ONE SINGLE JOB posted.

Friends in the planning and landscape field have been looking for six months or more and have been forced to find employment outside of the field.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    just another example....every year my former school has a career day for the college of environmental design, last year there were 72 participating firms, this year there are 21, 3 aren't even conducting interviews at the event and only 5 are interviewing landscape architecture and/or urban and regional planning students

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Alaska has, by all accounts, weathered the current recession fairly well--so far. But we're tightening our belts as government budget projections for the next few years, which were developed based on a high price for oil (the state's main source of revenue), are now projected to enter deficits in the near future due to low oil prices.

The last year is the first time our department has been fully staffed in years, and although the State has a hiring freeze on several departments, there are still five Planner positions posted on their web site, although this is a marked decline from just a year ago, when DOT alone had more planning positions open than that.

But if you can handle inclement weather and a rather large change from your present realities, check out http://alexsys.labor.state.ak.us/sai...sion=jobsearch and see what's available.

A perk that you won't find listed on any job description: I just watched a pod of Orca whales swim by my office. (I love Alaska)

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nfarnumplan View post
    I don't want to sound like a jerk, and you probably have the good sense to be more professional in job application materials, but I'd recommend that you 1) use spell check more often; and 2) don't write like you're writing an instant message. Spell check won't solve all of your problems, though: for example, "advise" is a word, but it isn't the one you want to use here ("advice"); "knowone" isn't a word, but if you put a space between "know" and "one" you'd hardly be better off, since you want to say "no one." So while you're looking for a job, brush up on your writing skills--most planners write extensively, and no one will want to hire a planner who can't write professionally. Since this forum is a great way to make connections in the planning field, you should start by demonstrating your proficiency with the English language here instead of writing your posts like text messages to your friends.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by permaplanjuneau View post
    .....Since this forum is a great way to make connections in the planning field, you should start by demonstrating your proficiency with the English language here instead of writing your posts like text messages to your friends.
    On the other side of the coin, I hired Rumpy based on his posts on Cyburbia. What was I thinking?

EDIT: There's something to be said for "fitting" into the culture.

You're not being a jerk. In fact, you're correct given this hiring environment.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

See?? I'm not the only one!

Glad to see another couple of Cybubs carrying the grammar & spelling flag. Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2003
    Everything seems to be transportation related now.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I've just passed my second round of layoffs and survived. I still enrolled for my master's degree to reposition myself for a better job when the economy changes. When in doubt it may be time to improve yourself and not just hold a job.

Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Glad to see another couple of Cybubs carrying the grammar & spelling flag. Thanks.
    An ampersand is not an acceptable replacement for the word "and." Also, "another couple" is terrible syntax-- unless, of course, you mean one other couple consisting of two people joined in a union of sorts. A more appropriately matched word or phrase for "another couple" would simply be "others," "a few" or "peers."

In either argument, an ad hominem attack is a relatively low-brow advance. Be a grammar squadristi all you would like but nitpicking is not helping a poor desperate person. Perhaps you should correct his original post rather than following the "groupthink" of picking off outsiders.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    As of this morning, there are no recruitments for public sector planners in Florida on either the APA or Florida APA web sites. That's gotta be a first.
    The Texas APA has 6 jobs on its site..........

Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas. - David Crockett

OK, it's probably the most overrated quote about Texas in history, but the idea isn't a bad one for planners. Texas isn't quite the planning hell many perceive it to be. Dan is enjoying life in Texas these days, and it seems it is one of the few states with a significant number of postings appearing on the APA site and the state chapter site (www.txplanning.org). Cross-country relocations may be problematic, as far as unloading your current house, but might be worth looking into.
    You are right, SR, I came here (Texas) in 2006 from the great state of New Hampshire. I also worked here from 1985 to 1988, and I have loved it here both times. Its 95 degrees today and I love it!

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 9:06 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 30 Sep 2011, 4:16 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 Feb 2010, 10:56 PM
  4. APA Jobs Online: tracking the recession
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 26