Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: non-violent ways to keep nuisance animals from your yard

Registered
    Aug 2005

non-violent ways to keep nuisance animals from your yard

one of the first things i purchased after buying my house was a birdfeeder. we now have two feeders and a birdbath. plus in the summer we put out two hummingbird feeders. unfortunately the neighborhood cats (not feral) have discovered this fact and turned my backyard into a slaughterhouse and buffet.

the victims tend to be pigeons, most likely because they're minding their business on the ground picking at the seeds the squirrels toss to the ground. plus as we all know they're not the smartest or the quickest birds out there. that said i don't wish them any harm.

any NON-VIOLENT suggestions on how to keep these neighborhood cats away from the birds?

yes, i am aware that not feeding the birds is an option but i would prefer that to be an option of last resort.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I am a fan of these:
    http://terradisiac.com/products.php?...openparent=196

It is a sprinkler that has a motion detector. When something walks in front of it... like a deer, cat, neighbor, it will start spraying.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Pigeons or Mourning Doves? Yes, they're related but they're not the same . If it's pigeons, give those cats a treat and some lovin' because pigeons will find ways to screw up your house, be really, really dirty and near impossible to get rid of. Mourning doves sometimes nest near a house (especially on projecting eaves) but generally don't otherwise mess with them.

Our cats go out, but we put feed on the deck railing, Teh cats are a might too slow to reach the birds with the height difference.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I guess I am on the other end of the spectrum. I am hoping that by getting a few cats for the outdoors I can keep birds of all sorts away from my home.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Well, you could get the pigeons first... in some cultures, they are considered a delicacy.

The old time Hungarian method my grandmother used was mothballs. Put some mothballs around the yard. Cats hate 'em.

Of course, there is the smell... and the toxicity....

Well, we used Bloodmeal (a rose fertilizer) last summer and that helped some. (As you all know, the cats were teasing my yellow lab out of the yard for a game of chase).

And if that doesn't work, there's always Mr. .357 (if you get to that point)
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2005
    we have mourning doves too, but the pigeons seem to be the preferred treat.

i might have to try those sprinklers. too bad Santa just made his visit.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    i might have to try those sprinklers. too bad Santa just made his visit.
    There's always Valentine's Day.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Put some flour in a brown paper sack. Take it outside and sprinkle it around the yard at a time the neighbors can see you. Tell them you are trying to keep a pest out of the yard, and that they need to keep their cats away. This worked on my neighbor and his dog, that he allowed to wreck my flower beds again and again.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    go onto you tube and type in twirl a squirrel.. hours of fun.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Sit on the deck (or stoop) armed with a hose (for the cats) and a beer (for you). Enjoy the nice spring day and when one of the cats decides to come calling for dinner, spray them with the hose. It's mighty fun.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I lived on the farm I used to whip rocks at the cats when I would see them - nothing larger than a grapefruit. After I would smack one in the head it would be quite a while before I would see it again. Dogs are even less violent, provided they do not actually catch the cat. Let them mark their territory around the feeder. I've found that the birds do not seem to care, but I have not seen any cats in our yard.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Sit on the deck (or stoop) armed with a hose (for the cats) and a beer (for you). Enjoy the nice spring day and when one of the cats decides to come calling for dinner, spray them with the hose. It's mighty fun.
    A highly effective method, except I prefer a cheap chardonnay. For me, not the cats!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Pigeons or Mourning Doves? Yes, they're related but they're not the same . If it's pigeons, give those cats a treat and some lovin' because pigeons will find ways to screw up your house, be really, really dirty and near impossible to get rid of. Mourning doves sometimes nest near a house (especially on projecting eaves) but generally don't otherwise mess with them.
    Are mourning doves a nuisance? They nested in my back landscaping by my foundation, and I actually kind of like them

Found mysterious tracks in the snow in my backyard. Came to the conclusion that there are bunnies living under my sun porch. It's basically an enclosed deck, so not part of the actual huose structure, just attached, so no fear of them getting into my house. But I don't particularly like them under my porch either. Any way to safely get them out?!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    But I don't particularly like them under my porch either. Any way to safely get them out?!
    We have rabbits round our place too. Aside from old Mr. .357, I would unleash a wiley yellow labrador. Of course, I really have nothing substantial to add and therefore will continue writing this post until we close for mid-day chow.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    We have rabbits round our place too. Aside from old Mr. .357, I would unleash a wiley yellow labrador. Of course, I really have nothing substantial to add and therefore will continue writing this post until we close for mid-day chow.
    No dogs for me, but maybe thats my reason to get one. I actually don't mind a few bunnies, but come spring I'm sure I'll have about 60 :O And I don't want skunks or opposums under there either - yuck!

Registered
    Jan 2008
    Fox pee should run the bunnies off. Don't know if it works on cats. Check hunting supply shops or if you know a deer huntery you might be able to borrow a drop or two. A little goes a LONG way.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    You need one of these!

Its not exactly non violent, but it is something they can escape from!

A hand held laser burner. A direct fire weapon that will remind them they don't like your yard!

http://lifehacker.com/software/diy/t...ser-287252.php
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Sounds like you need the Depelter Turbo.

Gladys: [after installing a lot of traps] What about this one, this Depelter Turbo?
    Dwayne: That's a contraband item, ma'am, as it is illegal in every state,
    [with his hand over his heart]
    Dwayne: except Texas.
    Gladys: I don't care if this violates the Geneva Conventions, I want it.
    Dwayne: I thought you might, so I took the liberty of installing it for you.
    [as he tosses a stuffed bear in it]
    Dwayne: Adios, animal infenstation.
    RJ: [it traps it] AHHHHH!
    Gladys: [we see it in a cage, with outside burned off] Ohhh, very nice.

-From Over the Hedge

Registered
    Aug 2002
    A little late to the party, but...

We had a similar issue with our neighbor's cat coming over. The water hose technique was pretty effective. Cats hate water. BTW, you don't even need to soak them - just aim for "close." That's plenty.

No rocks! Geez, Cardinal!

You may find that once the cats go, the hawks will go after the pigeons, but hey, that's the way it's supposed to work.

Registered
    Aug 2005

ding! ding! ding! we have a winner.

Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post

You may find that once the cats go, the hawks will go after the pigeons, but hey, that's the way it's supposed to work.
    Well it appears that I may have been falsely accusing the neighborhood cats. This afternoon the BF was outside and walking towards the backyard when he noticed a Peregrine Falcon sitting on our patio table keeping tabs on the feeders!

About a half hour later the BF went back outside and discovered a freshly killed pigeon. Poor pigeon, but in a strange way I'm happier that it is a Falcon who is benefiting from these killings than a fat neighborhood kitty.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The last several months, we've suddenly had 4-5 cats show up here. In the driveway, back and front yards, even sunning on the welcome mat by the front door. I don't know if someone moved and dumped them, or someone moved in and lets their cats roam. It's driving one of our cats crazy.

I've tried a couple times to get to the hose to spray them, but they run off into the conservation area next to us before I have a chance.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 89
    Last post: 02 May 2014, 10:00 AM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 20 Apr 2009, 4:16 PM
  3. Yard Games & Yard Toys & The Like
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 25 Nov 2008, 1:03 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last post: 25 Apr 2005, 3:43 PM