Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Moonlighting? Your thoughts

Registered
    Jul 2008

Moonlighting? Your thoughts

A private sector firm, who i used to work for, approached me about working a half to one day for them on weekends.

How do you think my public sector employers (full time) would feel about this?

If you were a manager (or are a manager), and one of your workers came to you to ask/tell you they would be working another job part time on weekends then how would you feel about them? Would you feel that they lacked commitment to the job and do you think it would effect their prospects for future promotion/retention?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    It's a conflict of interest.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    When I was with a large city, policy was to let Mgmt know about moonlighting, They had no problems with my square dance gigs.

Seems like a conflict of interest would pertain if the muni has or could retain(ed) the contracting firm. I recently attended a Saturday charette hosted by Favorite City and a consultant, who might have needed more help with that.

Also if you are, say, creating GIS maps for a far-flung locale, that wouldn't be a COI.

N.B. I'm not familiar with the AICP code of ethics.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    We have had a few threads about this:
    Side-jobs for planners http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...t=Moonlighting

Planners with second jobs ? http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...t=Moonlighting
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Make sure it's not a conflict of interest with your job, then do what you gotta do. Unless you need the money, I personally think it's dumb to give up one day of your weekend, but that's just me. I like my 8-5, M-F. Planning is my career, not my life. Life happens outside of work.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I would have to agree with TexanOkie. Not every planning job out there is a conflict of interest. For example, if you are going to work on projects for a completely different municipality than you currently work for, and those municipalities have no mutual interests then I would not see it to be a problem. I would however notify both employers and get their okays prior to taking the part-time job.

I also have to agree with him on trying to keep your weekends free. In my late 20's I was a workaholic (grad school, full time job, part time job) and would do anything to get some of that time back. I lost out on a lot of my life by doing that.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The basic question here is whether there is a conflict of interest. When I worked for a community in economic development I had an opportunity to do work for other communities. I could not legitimately do so because they were places with which we competed for investment. As a planner there are likely to be fewer such direct conflicts. That is especially true if 1) you are not working for a consultant that does work with your community, and 2) you are not doing work for an adjacent community. Even this second case has exceptions, such as Veloise's example of doing GIS work.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Make sure it's not a conflict of interest with your job, then do what you gotta do. Unless you need the money, I personally think it's dumb to give up one day of your weekend, but that's just me. I like my 8-5, M-F. Planning is my career, not my life. Life happens outside of work.
    Agreed. Ask if it is a conflict and then decide if you have a life outside work. If you don't have a life, and job sez its OK, then go for it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Moonlighting opportunities
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 23 Apr 2013, 4:03 PM
  2. Your thoughts on fur
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 29 Nov 2012, 10:32 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Jan 2009, 4:31 PM