Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Heart vs. head: choosing between two jobs

Registered
    Jul 2008

Heart vs. head: choosing between two jobs

How would you choose between leaving or staying at your current job, or taking a new job and offering more money when:

- You love your current job, get on great with your co-workers and managers, and are working on some interesting projects and gaining great experiance. There may be a chance for promotion within the year, but there is no certainty - as you would be competing for the promotion with others at your work with similar experiance & education.

- Your offered a job in a more senior role worth more money.

My heart would say stay with the current job, my head would be leaning towards the new job. How would you make a final decision?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by north sydney View post
    How would you choose between leaving or staying at your current job, or taking a new job and offering more money when:

- You love your current job, get on great with your co-workers and managers, and are working on some interesting projects and gaining great experiance. There may be a chance for promotion within the year, but there is no certainty - as you would be competing for the promotion with others at your work with similar experiance & education.

- Your offered a job in a more senior role worth more money.

My heart would say stay with the current job, my head would be leaning towards the new job. How would you make a final decision?
    Historically, I've tried using my heart, because for me a positive work environment outweighs financial gain (most of the time). I noticed you didn't mention what your tasks would be at the new job. Do you believe those tasks will be interesting and provide a great experience as well? What was your impression of the people that interviewed you? Do they seem like people you would get along with? What prompted you to apply for the job in the first place? I think asking yourself those questions will help your decision.

In case you are wondering, I'm in a very similar boat right now. I'm having some second thoughts about a job change (already accepted new job and gave resignation notice) because my director is quite literally begging me to stay. I'm expecting a counter-offer today. The kicker there is that I like my immediate co-workers (CMO sucks) and the potentially interesting work, but that I've been pretty much used & abused for the past year and don't generally feel good about going to work each day. There's a lot of complexity to making an employment decision where your heart or brain might pull you in opposite directions, or even your heart pulling you two directions. Talk to people you trust to help you evaluate what to do. Talk to family. Take your time.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by north sydney View post
    Do what you makes you happy and the money will follow (to the extent that money is important to you).
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Do what you makes you happy and the money will follow (to the extent that money is important to you).
    Amen brother, there is very little difference in having some money as opposed to more money. Whether you drive a band new Cadillac or a ten year old rust bucket, you've still got a car. Whether you live in 600 square feet or 2,500 you still have a roof over your head. If you are not making enough to your basic human needs of shelter, food, and transport then you should consider a change. If you are blissfully happy, chasing the money may not make you happier, and a happy employee is a good employee, good things will come to you if you love your work. Not everyone has a job they love. You're lucky in that respect.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yup.....

And this thread begins to explain why planners don't make great money.....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    May 2005
    You did not mention what your perception of the NEW job environment is. That would be a critical point of consideration for me.

I also work in a situation where I really enjoy the work I do as well as my coworkers, but suffer through some less than impressive pay (and its a rough struggle these days to make ends meet). One factor I always consider in contemplating other work is what the work environment will be like. You're gonna spend a lot of time there, so it better be tolerable. Especially in the current job market because one may end up feeling trapped at a new job - afraid to leave for fear of not being able to find other work, frustrated to stay because its a codependent, emotionally traumatizing work environment.

Did I just say that out loud?! I guess I have some issues...

I have worked at more than a handful of unpleasant work environments and, for me, its not worth the hassle. But when you are interviewing and contemplating a job offer, this stuff is very hard to assess. You often have to get in there and log a few months before the truth emerges...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    You did not mention what your perception of the NEW job environment is. That would be a critical point of consideration for me.
    A great work environment is the foremost consideration for me, not compensation. Usually I can pick up on the vibe in an office even on a short visit by looking at how co-workers interact with each other and clients/public. Although seniority might bring more pay, it often comes with more headaches and demands on time. You basically need to run through varying scenarios of staying or leaving, take your time though.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Feeling Slighted or All in My Head?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 17 Oct 2013, 2:48 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Jul 2013, 8:56 AM
  3. Head Taxes
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 2:41 AM