Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Empty space on the southern tip of Manhattan

Registered
    Aug 2001

Empty space on the southern tip of Manhattan

Today, the twin towers of the World Trade Center in NYC were destroyed. At this time, it is unknown how many lives have been lost. This is indeed a tragic event, and my thoughts go out to everyone who was affected by this dastardly terrorist attack on our nation. It is hard to fathom the amount of coordination and forethought put into this attack. It is unbelievable.

Sometime in the future... months? years? ...there will be space available on southern Manhattan where the two towers used to stand. The footprint will be cleared and developable real estate will be available. As an urban planning student, after thinking about the loss of life and the changed lives, all I can think about is the old WTC site and wonder what will go there and fill the space. Will there be a memorial? Will a new WTC go up? If new structures are built, how tall will they be, or perhaps from a national security POV, how tall should the new buildings be? Should there be height and density restrictions for commercial towers? How will the security implications of this attack affect the designs of future downtown office buildings? How will it affect the future of the architecture profession?

I know, I'm asking tons of questions. I'm in total shock. I don't have answers to any of these questions. But for the sake of discussion, feel free to share you thoughts on the implications of this attack on the planning profession, if any at all.

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2006

9-11

Quote Originally posted by Wanigas? View post
    Today, the twin towers of the World Trade Center in NYC were destroyed. How will it affect the future of the architecture profession?

I know, I'm asking tons of questions. I'm in total shock. I don't have answers to any of these questions. But for the sake of discussion, feel free to share you thoughts on the implications of this attack on the planning profession, if any at all.
    Architectural Record reported that the high-jacker who planned and commanded their operation was himself an architect. So he knew the vulnerability of the structure and took full advantage of it to assure its total destruction. I think it would not have been so vulnerable if the floors had been cantilevered off of a central core with a tap root foundation such as the Mile High Illinois and other tall buildings proposed by Frank Lloyd Wright; only one, the Price Tower in Bartlesville, OK was built. They were also earthquake proof as demonstrated in the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo, Japan which withstood the great earthquake around 1914 that destroyed most of the city.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mile+high+illinois

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=Price+tower

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...yo&btnG=Search
    Last edited by bud; 15 Sep 2006 at 10:15 AM. Reason: provide links

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Five years later and this thread finally gets its first post!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    Five years later and this thread finally gets its first post!
    Yeah...that's got to be a record!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I think really tall buildings ought to have sky bridges to other nearby buildings. Not just for easier evacuation but also as an alternative transport system. And it would look really cozy too - as long as they weren't too big and thus block too much sunlight to the street.
    "The current American way of life is founded not just on motor transportation but on the religion of the motorcar, and the sacrifices that people are prepared to make for this religion stand outside the realm of rational criticism." -Lewis Mumford

Sometime in the future... months? years? ...there will be space available on southern Manhattan where the two towers used to stand. The footprint will be cleared and developable real estate will be available. As an urban planning student, after thinking about the loss of life and the changed lives, all I can think about is the old WTC site and wonder what will go there and fill the space.
    The 9/11 memorial hole of course!

Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:
    What's with all the thread resurrection around here recently?

jaws: That's the first time the onion has been really funny in a long time.
    Reality does not conform to your ideology.
    http://neighborhoods.chicago.il.us Photographs of Life in the Neighborhoods of Chicago
    http://hafd.org/~jordanb/ Pretentious Weblog.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by jordanb View post
    What's with all the thread resurrection around here recently?
    You got me; I noticed it too. I saw a six-year old pre-vBulletin thread that was resurrected not too long ago.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Where did i see a rendering recently? Actually, I think it was Monday Night Football....3-4 buildings similar shape/look to the Cira Center in Philly.

BANNED
    Registered
    Mar 2006

fish nets or air bags

Quote Originally posted by dobopoq View post
    I think really tall buildings ought to have sky bridges to other nearby buildings. Not just for easier evacuation but also as an alternative transport system. And it would look really cozy too - as long as they weren't too big and thus block too much sunlight to the street.
    Architects think of these things but the big money boys cut them out to maximize their profits. It would take an act of Congress to change that - but who owns Congress?

Another way would be to have air bags rolled up against or encased in the side of the building at ground level or fish nets at the second or third floor level ready to be deployed in case of such an emergency.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 May 2012, 2:48 PM
  2. Manhattan
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 19 Oct 2009, 11:09 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 4:46 PM
  4. Replies: 30
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 1:57 AM