Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The media never gets it right

Registered
    Jul 2003

The media never gets it right

So there is a resident in my city who thinks he can run outside of the zoning ordinance and the occupancy restrictions. He has put homeless or low income residents in two residences in numbers higher than the code allows, which is noble but still against the law. He is informed of the violation and told he must evict a few to make the occupancy number for unrelated in line with the code. So the media gets ahold of it (courtesy of the offender) and paints the picture he is innocent and he even goes on the news crying and even wearing a sympathy neck brace. Those that know him know what he is really like. He knows he code. He refuses to follow building codes, starts work without permits, etc. He even dragged my name into it by stating I told him it was okay. WTF? Did the media ever bother to talk to city representatives? No.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind View post
    So there is a resident in my city who thinks he can run outside of the zoning ordinance and the occupancy restrictions. He has put homeless or low income residents in two residences in numbers higher than the code allows, which is noble but still against the law. He is informed of the violation and told he must evict a few to make the occupancy number for unrelated in line with the code. So the media gets ahold of it (courtesy of the offender) and paints the picture he is innocent and he even goes on the news crying and even wearing a sympathy neck brace. Those that know him know what he is really like. He knows he code. He refuses to follow building codes, starts work without permits, etc. He even dragged my name into it by stating I told him it was okay. WTF? Did the media ever bother to talk to city representatives? No.
    Hmmm...so those trailer fish camps I fought at my last job were really the work of a noble law abider who just wanted to do good. Or be a slumlord.

Sorry, dude, that's really irritating. I hate it when we get dragged into that stuff. "Just because I talked to you, doesn't mean I told you it was okay!" Agh!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    .....and ironically if you (the city) did nothing and people were hurt because of this noble man's actions the media would be camped at the department's door demanding to know exactly why the taxpayers have to support us for doing nothing....(please ignore the irony that I am posting to this blog at 4:30 on a Friday...). I think the frustration with the media just comes with our territory.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Staff reports and media
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Jul 2011, 5:12 PM
  2. Media: friend or foe
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 06 Dec 2007, 3:40 PM
  3. Liberal Media
    Friday Afternoon Club