Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Public vs private career fields

Registered
    Dec 2004

Public vs private career fields

well i have finally stopped "lurking" and im now a member. i have been viewing this board for a while and getting a lot of good advice from the student lounge. anyway, i am wondering if anyone here works in or knows about the filed of logistics. i am finishing a degree in geography and thinking about going into planning (hopefully transportation) or logistics.

I have some idea what transporation planners do, but no idea about what goes into logistics. either way its seems like you are managing the flows of something (either goods or people or both, maybe even information) which is the type of thing i am interested in.

does anyone have any information, comments, advice, hell even admonishments (like this is a planning board take your logistics elsewhere)?

thanks for your time

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmm.....

Logistics?
    The US forest service (not in capitalized letters because the do not deserve such recognition right now.... , but that's a different story....) uses "Logistics Planners" I think...they provide everything from the toothpaste and toilet paper to computers and water for fire fighters, pancake bus, equipment and such.....but I've never seen a job called "Logistics" that didn't also mean "requisitions" in the millitary sense.....see also....procurement & distribution

I'll let others respond to the transportation planning issues....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Dec 2004
    thanks for the reply.

in terms of logistics i think there are, as you mentioned, some people that function as "outfitters."

i have heard a lot of terms like "global supply-chain" and whatnot. i was thinking more of managing warehouses, or working around ports keeping the goods moving. it seems somewhat unrelated to planning (and more towards business) but someone must be planning out what routes trucks take and what is on those trucks. anyways, planners are more fun people to fraternize with so i thought i'd ask you all. thanks again

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Master Plan
    thanks for the reply.

in terms of logistics i think there are, as you mentioned, some people that function as "outfitters."

i have heard a lot of terms like "global supply-chain" and whatnot. i was thinking more of managing warehouses, or working around ports keeping the goods moving. it seems somewhat unrelated to planning (and more towards business) but someone must be planning out what routes trucks take and what is on those trucks. anyways, planners are more fun people to fraternize with so i thought i'd ask you all. thanks again
    Well, as a planner I can say that I have never found planners to be the really fun people- in grad school I spent more time with the policy folks- but thanks for the compliment anyway.

In terms of your interests- they really are not particularly related to what most planners in the public sector do (although there are exceptions)- you are really looking for a job related to transportation as a field. There are grad programs in transportation- MIT has one- so you might want to look at that info. If you don't want to go to grad school I'd suggest looking for a consulting firm that does transportation work, a trucking or rail firm, or maybe look at a state Department of Transportation (one place where planners might do the sorts of things you are talking about.)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yes...

thanks for the reply.

Check out NavTech, they provide GPS tracking services for large companies....
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Dec 2004

thanks

thanks those were good tips

i didnt realize how many people were employed by CalTrans, nor was aware of the wide variety of positions.

thanks those were good tips

i didnt realize how many people were employed by CalTrans, nor was aware of the wide variety of positions.

You might want to forget about planning entirely and get an MBA with a focus on supply-chain management.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Logistics in the sense that you are speaking of is done by companies such as CHRobinson out of Chicago. Look them up

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Sep 2007, 11:06 AM
  2. Career Advice Private Side
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Aug 2006, 10:41 AM
  3. Public vs private sector
    Student Commons
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 22 Jan 2005, 2:51 PM