Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What does it mean if a program is 'policy' based?

Registered
    Jan 2009

What does it mean if a program is 'policy' based?

OK I was a Political Science major and I am familiar with policy however, I do not really have grasp of how it relates to the UP field and education. Can anyone out there help me to understand what it means. Is it just zoning regulations, and ummm...... the laws that restrict development etc....

I do understand that many programs differ with respect to education and materials covered but their has to be some kind of guidline I am not catching.

Thanks!

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    It means that planning is studied from the perspective of its role in government as opposed to design and layout. Basically, part of the policies of that level of gevernment and how planning interacts with other agencies. In local government, its zoning ordinances, subdivision regs, economic development etc. I come more from this school. Further, I never had a studio. It should also be noted that I have a degree in public administration from a school of public and environmental affairs.

A program that is more design based menas that it studies more urban form and layout. This does not mean that policy people don't study design or that design people don't study policy. It just means the major thrust of the program is from one of those perspectives. Hope this helps.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Thank you WYP!

If anyone else has info/experience please put it down, everything helps.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    WYP pretty much hit on the head....but I would argue, college, especially grad school is what you make of it. Just make sure you go to school that gives you the opportunities to do what you want.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Thnx Beach Bum. Well put, good perspective

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008
    Policy + Physical = Planning.

I've always thought planning is determining how the physical environment is going to be shaped in the future by good policy decisions made today. Find a program that will let you foster that idea and get you where you want to be.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I guess my disconnect comes with the assumption that as Planners you have nothing to do with the actual policy making, we just work within the confines of it ( I think) And that an education in urban planning that focuses on policy would basically just tell me the laws that affect the profession and how the profession 'fits' into the rest of the Governemtnal process. Am I wrong?

Do planners recommend policy or do they work within it? or both?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008
    Planners recommend policy and work with the elected/appointed officials and provide staff recommendations on what policy should be and what policy shouldn't be. The boards, commissions, and city councils all make the final decisions on what policy will be but planners work with them to finalize what the policy will be before the elected officials (boards, etc) make it official by voting on it.

So, planners work with policy and within the confines of policy. If you are the head of the City of Middleville, USA, Planning Department, you work with the City Council to formulate planning policy and get policy to where you, as a planner, think it is best for your community. Then, once policy is approved by Council, you work within the confines of the adopted policy(ies) that make up the zoning regulations, subdivison regulations, economic development strategies, housing recruitment/retention strategy....all of the elements that fit into the comprehensive plan for your community.

It's actually kinda cool how the process works out in the end.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 30 Apr 2009, 3:21 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Jan 2009, 5:25 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Oct 2006, 11:40 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 8:46 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Apr 2004, 10:25 AM