Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: StanFest 09

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

StanFest 09

Here ye, here ye! We may be shoveling snow and scraping windshields, but it is time to start yacking about a location/venue for that great annual event, Stanfest.

I have included NO poll. Figured that at this early stage we can just throw some names on the Cyburbian sidewalk and bend over to scoop-up the names that promote the most interest. For those who don't know.....or dead brain cell disease (available in green bottles at a store near you! ) has led to not remembering.....here are the previoous venues for Stanfest.....

Stanfest 05 Kalamazoo, MI (Bell's Brewery)
    Stanfest 06 Kalamazoo, MI (Bell's Brewery)
    Stanfest 07 Grand Rapids MI (A few different pubs)
    Stanfest 08 Chicago, IL (A few different pubs)

This Bear wandered into the first three events, kinda like a homeless waif crawling into a soup kitchen. The others were nice, though, and humored an aging non-planner with a "De Nocian agenda". There have been a host of other attendees, all smiling and enjoying the company of the folks we talk with on a reg basis, via the magic of the Cyburbian Way.
    _____

As always, this Bear will suggest Toledo, OH, for the mid-Summer Stanfest. What say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about holding Stanfest 09 on the Florida panhandle?

Just an offer and a suggestion. World's most beautiful beaches. Hot tub. (Think of the pool party!! We're talking debauchery. )

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Denver is always good. Or to make it closer to our Great Leader, maybe New Orleans?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Denver is always good. Or to make it closer to our Great Leader, maybe New Orleans?
    NOLA! What a party we could have! Have we ever explored the idea of a Nat'l Cyb laefest? It's a non-profit, right? We could get conference rates at hotels! (Well, maybe not continuing ed credits, but still....). Think of the possibilities: seminar, Friday at 3 p.m. "How to RJ successfully and discreetly"; seminar, Friday at 3:30 p.m. "How to brand yourself, presented by Maister and the duck"; etc

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Hot tub. (Think of the pool party!! We're talking debauchery
    Debauchery? This won't work. You, me, 5 guys and a duck? No way!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If its NOLA I need to bring my AA sponsor.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think Stanfest should be in the Great Lakes. Since it was in Chicago last year, somewhere farther east would probably be best. I'm going to throw out South Bend, Indiana, never been but it is somewhat centrally located. Others of course can feel free to organize their own regional laefests.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I agree with jsk's plan to keep it in the Great Lakes, as it is Stanfest. Since it seems to have been held in Michigan for three straight years, I don't see why not keep it in the Chicago area again for this year. I'm going to suggest a satellite city of Chicago like Naperville or Elgin, both of which have become recent boomtowns. You can explore the beautiful, revitalized dense downtowns (located on commuter rail lines) which offer lots of shops, restaurants, civic attractions, riverwalks, and a mix of old and new architecture, as well as remnants of old industrial areas. And you can take a look at older nearby neighborhoods and beautiful parks which offer a lot of character. There are also museums to explore in each city. And you can also take a gander at the sprawl and the "edge city" components that have sprouted up on the outskirts, as well as efforts to preserve sensitive land in these areas.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I agree with jsk's plan to keep it in the Great Lakes, as it is Stanfest. Since it seems to have been held in Michigan for three straight years, I don't see why not keep it in the Chicago area again for this year. I'm going to suggest a satellite city of Chicago like Naperville or Elgin, both of which have become recent boomtowns. You can explore the beautiful, revitalized dense downtowns (located on commuter rail lines) which offer lots of shops, restaurants, civic attractions, riverwalks, and a mix of old and new architecture, as well as remnants of old industrial areas. And you can take a look at older nearby neighborhoods and beautiful parks which offer a lot of character. There are also museums to explore in each city. And you can also take a gander at the sprawl and the "edge city" components that have sprouted up on the outskirts, as well as efforts to preserve sensitive land in these areas.
    Not a bad idea. I've been meaning to visit some of these cities but its just been so cold out recently. Come spring I plan on taking the Metra out on the weekends and having a look around.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Belize. Sun, sand, cheap beer. Sounds good to me.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    As always, this Bear will suggest Toledo, OH, for the mid-Summer Stanfest. What say you?
    So you are saying that all who attend can stay at your house and go to Loma Linda's ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I interned in Naperville for well over a year...it is nothing but SPRAWL!!!

What museums? Preserve what sensitive land? A stormwater basin and what's left of a fen? They bulldoze everything, and keep on annexing land to the south and west that isn't already occupied by Aurora, Bollingbrook, or Plainfield.

I will admit they do have a vibrant downtown, have an excellent park system (did a lot of mapping of the +150 parks) and have a quaint "old" neighborhood or two near the train station, which actually is about a mile or two from the downtown, and a wonderful riverwalk that has been around for decades. There are no dumpy neighborhoods to speak of, but then again, everything is still pretty pricey anyway.

Personally, if we were going to do Stanfest in Chicagoland again, I would pick Oak Park or Evanston.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If it is to be in the Great Lakes region, then let me offer the suggestion of Milwaukee. It is close to Chicago and a short ferry ride from Michigan.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Bear made the suggestion in a previous year and the more I think about it the cooler it sounds - what about Put In Bay?

From all I've heard I understand the place is a non-stop party.

You can get there on a ferry but I bet if one knows the Right People they could travel out there via private yacht!

Island Stanfest

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    What about the head Stan? He gonna transport a 6-month-old?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I'll heartily 'SECOND!' Milwaukee!

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Detroit?

I also like the Milwaukee suggestion because I've been wanting to take the ferry across Lake Michigan and this would give me a good reason since the Brewers are coming to Detroit this season and not the other way around.

Another idea for those who suggested keeping it in the Great Lakes region but moving it further east... what about Toronto? Or are there too many Cyburbians who may not be allowed back into the country once leaving it?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Is it just me or does this thread remind you of the IOC selection comittee, but instead of London and Paris competing to host the olympics we have Gary, IN and Swanton, OH competing?

Registered
    May 2005
    Since the original was held in K-Zoo, perhaps the International Stanfest Committee (ISC) should establish a specific distance that all Stanfests much take place within.

Perhaps a radius of 250 automobile miles from K-Zoo? How would this look on a map?

Can any GISers help us out?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Since the original was held in K-Zoo, perhaps the International Stanfest Committee (ISC) should establish a specific distance that all Stanfests much take place within.

Perhaps a radius of 250 automobile miles from K-Zoo? How would this look on a map?

Can any GISers help us out?
    I had some time so here you go:

A 250 mile radius from Kalamazoo (yes, I know driving to Milwaukee might be outside that radius, but as stated before, there is a ferry now...) in 50 mile increments.

The big red dots are cities with over 125,000 people the smaller diamonds are cities btween 75,000 and 125,000.

I didn't have any information readily available for cities in Ontario but I imagine the only ones in that radius with at least 75,000 people would be Sarnia, Windsor, and London.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    A 250 mile radius from Kalamazoo (yes, I know driving to Milwaukee might be outside that radius, but as stated before, there is a ferry now...) in 50 mile increments.
    I'm sorry, but I can't look at that map without thinking of something else

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

heh. not the "something else" i thought you were thinking about.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Off-topic:
    Here is an interesting mapping site for that:
    http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Off-topic:
    Here is an interesting mapping site for that:
    http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html
    Off-topic:
    Warning: Duke, stay away from that link.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    I interned in Naperville for well over a year...it is nothing but SPRAWL!!!

What museums? Preserve what sensitive land? A stormwater basin and what's left of a fen? They bulldoze everything, and keep on annexing land to the south and west that isn't already occupied by Aurora, Bollingbrook, or Plainfield.

I will admit they do have a vibrant downtown, have an excellent park system (did a lot of mapping of the +150 parks) and have a quaint "old" neighborhood or two near the train station, which actually is about a mile or two from the downtown, and a wonderful riverwalk that has been around for decades. There are no dumpy neighborhoods to speak of, but then again, everything is still pretty pricey anyway.

Personally, if we were going to do Stanfest in Chicagoland again, I would pick Oak Park or Evanston.
    Granted, yes, there is sprawl, but they do have a large and vibrant downtown. I think it'd be interesting to show both sides of the spectrum. And there are plenty of parks like you said, as well as Springbrook Forest Preserve, Greene Valley Forest Preserve, and nearby Morton Arboretum and more, as far as sensitive land goes. For the museum, I was thinking the Naper Settlement, which is pretty cool. Elgin's a bit more gritty (but not as bad as Aurora) and older, and has a larger amount of grid-streets and older neighborhoods, as well as a beautiful downtown, but they have a large amount of sprawl now as well. I think it'd be cool to show both the good design (downtowns) and the bad design (sprawl).

I think a large Chicago suburb or Milwaukee are the best choices.

heh. not the "something else" i thought you were thinking about.
    Yeah, I think I thought the same thing as you.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Yeah, I think I thought the same thing as you.
    Off-topic:
    I'll bet WSU MUP Student never knew he created the ultimate rorschach test.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Stanfest '10
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 108
    Last post: 11 Aug 2010, 11:03 AM
  2. Who's coming to Stanfest
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 60
    Last post: 07 Jul 2008, 11:45 AM
  3. What to do at Stanfest '08 Poll