Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Orlando events Feb 16-19

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Orlando events Feb 16-19

So there's a training session series, and I picked one in a warm place.
    Tues 2/17 8:00 - 5:00pm
    Weds 2/18 8:00am - 12:00pm

I will BYOB (folding bike) and sunscreen. Any local workshops for the planning profession? Laefest?

The admin is supposed to set up my travel later today; RSVP ASAP

TIA

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Sorry, I was just down there visiting, so I'll be in the panhandle that week.

Do you know what area of town you'll be staying in? I could maybe give you some suggestions on places to go/things to do.

Registered
    May 2004
    Hilton Garden Inn at the airport. Arriving 10am-ish on Monday Feb 16, leaving 5:30-ish Weds Feb 18.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Ewww. Well, you won't be near anything! If you will have a car, you could throw your bike in and visit one of the Orange County trails, I guess. You probably don't have a free day; your best bet would be to head east to Kennedy Space Center.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Ewww. Well, you won't be near anything! If you will have a car, you could throw your bike in and visit one of the Orange County trails, I guess. You probably don't have a free day; your best bet would be to head east to Kennedy Space Center.
    They are hiring me a four-wheeler.
    Got a link to a trail map? I have all day Monday, and noon - flight time on Weds.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    If you want to bike, you should go on the West Orange Trail, make sure to go through the Winter Garden/Oakland piece of the trail...its lovely!

http://www.orangecountyfl.net/images...T_TrailMap.pdf

Some of my other favorite Orlando-area places:

Lake Eola (Downtown Orlando)
    Winter Park (Park Ave.)
    Mall at Millenia (upscale mall and shopping area)
    City Walk-Universal (Free and fun to walk around)
    Wekiva Springs (outdoor fun)
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Way too far. West Orange Trail would involve taking the beeline over to I-4 and then north to the east-west and then out to Winter Garden. Better to go north on the 417/Greeneway to the Econ Trail.

Lake Eola is nice, if you don't mind slapping the panhandlers away.

Park Ave in Winter Park is great, but it would take a whole day to drive there and do it justice.

Mall at Millenia and City Walk; generic stores and restaurants. Unless you are dying to go to Saks and who can afford that?

Wekiva Springs; GREAT! FL springs are always at 72 d. and the springs is a couple miles from the Seminole-Wekiva Trail. But, from your location, well over an hour, maybe an hour and a half to get there.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    The Econ trail or Cady Way would probably be closer to you...but I am just partial to the West Orange Trail Orange County goverment should have maps of those on their website.

You are not staying too close to anything great in the Orlando-area, except that you are not far from the theme park area....let us know what you end up doing and what you thought!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2004
    Trying to make contact with a long-time friend who moved from a lake house in Pinckney (near Ann Arbor) to Celebration. Reason: she wanted to live in Disneyland.

This is reminiscent of Dan's should-I-stop-in-Cairo thread. When going past a trainwreck, one absolutely has to take a peek.

No offense is intended nor implied towards any Fans of Disney.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    The Econ trail or Cady Way would probably be closer to you...but I am just partial to the West Orange Trail Orange County goverment should have maps of those on their website.
    Yeah, West Orange is better if you want to take the time, and you can rent a bike there (at the SR 50 trailhead) instead of bringing one down.

Quote Originally posted by Veloise
    Trying to make contact with a long-time friend who moved from a lake house in Pinckney (near Ann Arbor) to Celebration. Reason: she wanted to live in Disneyland.

This is reminiscent of Dan's should-I-stop-in-Cairo thread. When going past a trainwreck, one absolutely has to take a peek.

No offense is intended nor implied towards any Fans of Disney.
    None taken.

Celebration has had its share of live-in critics. I was not impressed. The retail sucked and the houses I saw when they opened were shoddily built. And... I have issues with HOAs that are so picky.

BTW, the neighborhood "turns" a couple miles north of your hotel along 436, so don't venture up there alone/at night. Before that, though, there's a Don Pablo's with good margaritas and a happy hour.

Registered
    May 2004
    Well, poop. Bad planning. "The Orlando meeting will be high-level, and the one in Little Rock will be in-depth." Yeah right.

And preliminary scheduling has it on Fat Tuesday.

Terribly sorry, I have a previous committment (right here in town).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. hello!...from Orlando
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 May 2008, 9:29 PM
  2. Tell me about Orlando, FL
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 30 Mar 2007, 7:08 PM
  3. Hi, from Orlando, FL
    Introduce Yourself