Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Interior Design students pursuing Architecture (degree/careers)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Interior Design students pursuing Architecture (degree/careers)

I am graduating with my BFA in interior design from JMU in May, hoping to get into graduate school for architecture. Our program is heavily architecture based - not stupid decorating, don't get it twisted.... anyone else wanna chat?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    What do you want to accomplish with a M Arch?
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Feb 2009
    too restricted in what I am allowed to do...can't design a building over a certain sq. ft. and most interior design students can't work as architects, etc. etc.. Over the course of my studies I have changed what I originally wanted to do to architecture. What I have learned from professionals in the field, etc. I realized architecture school is what I need to do what I want to do... I have done my research so it isn't just a rash decision. you an interior design student?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by appleam View post
    too restricted in what I am allowed to do...can't design a building over a certain sq. ft. and most interior design students can't work as architects, etc. etc.. Over the course of my studies I have changed what I originally wanted to do to architecture. What I have learned from professionals in the field, etc. I realized architecture school is what I need to do what I want to do... I have done my research so it isn't just a rash decision. you an interior design student?
    No just trying to gage what you want with an M. Arch, considering this is an urban planning forum and although architecture is discussed and has a lot to do with the built environment, this is more geared towards planning. Plus we have in-house architects in our firm that just take over the role of interiors when designing a building. For some odd reason they are always women. . they are all architects by trade and just fall into the interior design aspects of building design when the time comes.
    No Signature Required

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interior design student
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 Nov 2010, 11:59 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Oct 2009, 6:38 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Sep 2009, 7:05 AM
  4. Replies: 5