Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Relay for Life and overnight field lighting

Registered
    Nov 2006

Relay for Life and overnight field lighting

The American Cancer Society is introducing its well known Relay for Life event at the local high school for the first time. The event appears to be well received by the community and may use the school in subsequent years if the maiden voyage goes well.

The special use permit for the high school outdoor lighting has to be amended to allow for the use of the lights past 11pm (this is a 6pm-6am event with walkers/runners doing continuous laps).

While the school district and the local homeowners association whole heartedly endorse the event, I want to make sure I get all my ducks in a row from a zoning perspective. I forsee a few options as far as the special use amendment goes:

1. Amend to allow this event on an annual basis.
    2. Amend to allow this event for a period of ___ years.
    3. Have them come back every year (eh).
    4. See how this year goes and then decide how to handle it indefinately.

Anyone else been involved since the begining in this or a similar event? What say you on the time frame? Any negative experiences which would preclude you from suggesting option #1? Other words of wisdom? Many thanks!
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    The biggest issue for the neighbours in our community wasn't lighting it was the parking gridlock and the noise. The noise was really an issue because of the live entertainment and karaoke tent that ran all night.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    The American Cancer Society is introducing its well known Relay for Life event at the local high school for the first time. The event appears to be well received by the community and may use the school in subsequent years if the maiden voyage goes well.

The special use permit for the high school outdoor lighting has to be amended to allow for the use of the lights past 11pm (this is a 6pm-6am event with walkers/runners doing continuous laps).

While the school district and the local homeowners association whole heartedly endorse the event, I want to make sure I get all my ducks in a row from a zoning perspective. I forsee a few options as far as the special use amendment goes:

1. Amend to allow this event on an annual basis.
    2. Amend to allow this event for a period of ___ years.
    3. Have them come back every year (eh).
    4. See how this year goes and then decide how to handle it indefinately.

Anyone else been involved since the begining in this or a similar event? What say you on the time frame? Any negative experiences which would preclude you from suggesting option #1? Other words of wisdom? Many thanks!
    To be honest with you, I would go with #4. Personally, I would just let this go and not worry about it. We all have latitude in our jobs. Making them jump through some beaucratic hoops seems pointless. This is a 1 night a year advent for a very worthy cause. They are normally well advertised, so the affected parties know its coming. BTW, I am a career zoning guy and have been know to be a letter of the law type. 20 years of being in the proefession has taught me that somethings are not worth the paperwork. Further, you are taking up the Board's time on a no-brainer.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about this: approve the special use permit with a condition that staff places a report on the next available agenda following the event that details the success or failure of the conditions applied to the permit and a discussion regarding any complaints received resulting from the event. Recommend the approving body direct staff to: 1) set a public hearing to amend the conditions of the permit to address any concerns, 2) set a public hearing to revoke the permit, 3) accept and file the report and take no action or 4)....oh, there's gotta be something else I'm not thinking of.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 18 Mar 2011, 9:25 PM
  2. Real Life vs. Virtual Online Life.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 06 Sep 2006, 9:29 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Sep 2005, 9:28 PM
  4. Overnight parking of RVs at Walmart
    Transportation Planning