Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Volunteering in urban planning

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006

Volunteering in urban planning

Is it wise to volunteer? I'm just looking for advice on this and for any experiences with people volunteering in urban planning (public or private sector) or related.

I'm currently an undergrad senior (last semester) and have been meeting with several people in my city for various volunteer opportunities. Some are in areas I had never even considered but after meeting with them they seem like great opportunities. I'm essentially seeking experience and I know its next to impossible to receive a paid intern position in our current economy. However, because of my major, in my mind's eye I seem to be limited to community development (what we have focused on in our undergrad planning studios, which is why I hadn't considered the other areas).

I initially emailed and called around the city after reading someone's advice on this website (I apologize but I forgot who that was). Any stories, advice, information would be great.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Do it!

Neighborhood assn
    Armchair developing and planning (Urban Planet has a chapter near you)
    City council meetings, BZA hearings, PC meetings. Follow their agendas and offer comments on projects of interest

HTH

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Last month I read a topic on here saying how someone got an internship by, at first, volunteering with the city. After reading his success story I emailed and called around and now have a decent volunteer position (I say decent because I will learn a lot and be involved in projects) with a city department. I'll also be helping the City Clerks Office every once in a while.

In Arizona, where can I go to volunteer to get involved with environmental planning of some sort? Either actual environmental planning or something related such as those internships offered by the Game and Fish Department (which involve tracking animals, camping, inventory, etc.)?

If I wanted to volunteer with city government, such as assisting with the city council or something, would I talk to the city clerk or do something else/talk to someone else?

I'm also in school so I'm limited as far as time for now.

Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. City planning volunteering
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Feb 2009, 7:40 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 26 Aug 2008, 4:42 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Jan 2008, 10:42 PM
  4. Not Volunteering Anymore?