Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Atascadero, Ca...

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008

Atascadero, Ca...

Supposely this city has pledged $1.5 to this private development firm to start construction on a mix-used project that will include local clothing boutiques and local stores, local resturaunts, offices, and a multi-level building with a libary on the top level and movie theater on bottom level. i don't think this project will come to pass. since the $1.5 million is coming out of the city's reserves. and they only have $2mill in reserve. and they also plan to start construction on a super wal-mart in one year. they just started the EIR process for the super wal-mart.

the way the economy is going in california, i don't see how any of those projects can go through.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by urban19 View post
    . . .the way the economy is going in california, i don't see how any of those projects can go through.
    "Atascadero Goes After Federal Stimulus Money," 3/10/09:
    http://www.myfox11.com/global/story.asp?s=9980080
    City leaders are leaving Sunday for Washington D.C., and hope to bring back half-a-million to three-million dollars of the Federal Stimulus Package to improve the city.

"President Obama has released billions of dollars for areas that we need here. Improving public safety, fire stations, major projects that will really help our economy move forward and our community move forward," said Jim Lewis, Atascadero Assistant City Manager.

. . .The money would help cover the cost of the rehabilitation of Atascadero roadways, and the modernization of public facility buildings, including Fire Station 1.

. . .

Atascadero is also releasing its own stimulus package on Wednesday at 4 p.m. at City Hall, and inviting local contractors to bid on 6 million dollars worth of infastructure rehabilitation projects and improvements to the city.
    urban19, do you have commentary on this news?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Supposely this city has pledged $1.5 to this private development firm to start construction on a mix-used project that will include local clothing boutiques and local stores, local resturaunts, offices, and a multi-level building with a libary on the top level and movie theater on bottom level. i don't think this project will come to pass. since the $1.5 million is coming out of the city's reserves. and they only have $2mill in reserve. and they also plan to start construction on a super wal-mart in one year. they just started the EIR process for the super wal-mart.

the way the economy is going in california, i don't see how any of those projects can go through.
    You crack me up, your like the local NIMBY who heard it from a neighbor, who heard it from the post man who heard it from a friend of a friend who works in City Hall. Do you have a source? The $1.5 million is more than likely coming from RDA funds, which is from a different pot that general revenue or reserve funds and have strict guidelines for its use, and obviously redevelopment is one of them. If the City is doing this, well good for them, hope my firm designed the project.. lol.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    urban19, do you have commentary on this news?
    I sure do, they are a little late, I have worked with atate agencies and local committees to identify about $1/2 billion in capital projects already to spend a big chunk of the money coming to Michigan. Why are they going to DC after the legislations has been passed? These decisions are to be made at the state and local level in a fair and open process.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    I heard that the Colony Square (mixed use lifestyle center) is going well and that other projects are going in too. Seems that neighboring Paso Robles is not doing that well. This week, the zoning change to allow for a Wal-Mart to be built will go through according to the Atascadero News. And we have a conservative pro-growth city council. I am curious to see if Atascadero's economy will pick up if that the population will surpass Paso Robles at some point in time. I am kind of bummed that Atascadero doesn't have more of an influence in the area. Atascadero needs more population, so that it can get more regional amneties like a medical center. Already they are also getting a transit hub. I heard some big box retailers would rather go in Atascadero than Paso. And it would be nice to see a DMV go in A-Town too as we already have a division of the social services in Atascadero.

Registered
    Nov 2010
    I heard that the Colony Square (mixed use lifestyle center) is going well and that other projects are going in too. Seems that neighboring Paso Robles is not doing that well. This week, the zoning change to allow for a Wal-Mart to be built will go through according to the Atascadero News. And we have a conservative pro-growth city council. I am curious to see if Atascadero's economy will pick up if that the population will surpass Paso Robles at some point in time. I am kind of bummed that Atascadero doesn't have more of an influence in the area. Atascadero needs more population, so that it can get more regional amneties like a medical center. Already they are also getting a transit hub. I heard some big box retailers would rather go in Atascadero than Paso. And it would be nice to see a DMV go in A-Town too as we already have a division of the social services in Atascadero.
    It's been awhile since I've been in Atascadero, but from what I remember, it's a city characterized by more rural properties, and as a result, the low density growth pattern doesn't warrant some of the more urban amenities that other cities of the same population would.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by cng View post
    It's been awhile since I've been in Atascadero, but from what I remember, it's a city characterized by more rural properties, and as a result, the low density growth pattern doesn't warrant some of the more urban amenities that other cities of the same population would.
    Yeah, the city has alot of land and is very sprawled out. The city only hs roughly 28,000 population. I can understand us not having a court house or community college since there is one south and north of Atascadero. But maybe we could get our own dmv? There is also a hospital in Templeton. But maybe as Atascadero grows there might be a need for another hospital in Atascadero that serves Atascadero, Morro Bay, and Santa Margarita. Or maybe it might just continue to add housing and retail as it fits well for a good commuter community for Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Good post, but remember what I said about retail talk? Cool it until the end of the month. Thanks.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Moderator note:

Good post, but remember what I said about retail talk? Cool it until the end of the month. Thanks.
    Okays.

From what I heard about the Eagle Ranch project is that they are annexing homes into the city. Bringing the population of 28,310 and adding about 1,800 more population. Bringing the city to 30,000 population. I would find interesting to see if Atascadero or Paso Robles annexed Templeton one day. I don't see that happening though because Templeton is making enough cash on it's own and would probably become it's own small city.

I still forsee the most population growth in Paso Robles where they are expected to grow to 40,000 population by 2020. Yet, I am saddened for Paso greatly. From 2000 to 2010 they grew from 24, 297 to 29,793 with roughly 4,000 of that population being latinos and since the youth authority closed they have not had much economic growth. And on top of that I think their city council are doing nothing to help.

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Anyone care to comment about Eagle Ranch?

http://www.theeagleranch.com/

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I strongly doubt it, since you asked 2 months ago, and you go no response.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

BANNED
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I strongly doubt it, since you asked 2 months ago, and you go no response.
    Then I guess you suck at guessing because your just responded.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    ....sometimes I feel like I am in third grade. I will keep your wit and guile in mind since you got me....

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    ....sometimes I feel like I am in third grade. I will keep your wit and guile in mind since you got me....

Take that, HP. u19 showed you who's boss.

+ Reply to thread