Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: World Trade Center Image Gallery

World Trade Center Image Gallery

The famous New York City landmark designed by Japanese-American architect Minoru Yamasaki was reduced to little more than rubble in what
    many have called the most horrific catastrophe in American history. Officials speculate that thousands of lives have been lost in the horrible
    terrorist attack which involved two passenger airliners.

Built during the late nineteen sixties/ early seventies when the New York City development atmosphere could be characterized as very optimistic.
    The burgeoning service economy... read all about it and see 17 great pics:

http://www.archibot.com/stories/st_wtc_main.html

Archibot.com

Archibot.com Architecture News
    Updated Way Too Often!
    http://archibot.com

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Folks can also post images of the NYC skyline here, if they want.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    E-mail from Mike LoFrumento, a friend and fellow student at UB. Permission was granted to repost; his photograph should be considered copyright, of course.

I had the misfortune of working downtown yesterday (21st & 5th). We are building a new store and when I got off of the subway and turned the corner to head down 5th I couldn't believe the sight. I stood there for quite a while before I decided to take a pic with my digital camera. About a half hour after I took the attached pic the first tower caved in. You don't realize how emotional you can be over something when you are actually there seeing it happen. It was very disturbing and it was almost impossible for me to contact my parents to let them know that I was OK. I spent the rest of the day inside - didn't care to see anymore.

About 4:30PM I went back out and took the second pic. Left the city about 6:30. Very few people on the train as most of them had left earlier. The crowd was actually very civil and calm the whole day - alot of shock and disbelief.

Our construction is suspended today so I'm in the office - unfortunately my window normally overlooks the hudson and I could see the twin towers. Today it's just a tall plume of white smoke.

Hope to talk to you soon. Again, glad that you are all well.

Take care,

LoFrumento
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 04 Oct 2006, 8:58 PM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Aug 2002, 9:53 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Jul 2002, 3:10 PM
  4. World Trade Center
    Perry's Cantina (archive)
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Sep 2001, 5:56 PM