Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Conferences - student exclusion

Registered
    Jan 2009

Conferences - student exclusion

I recently saw the advertisement for the National Regeneration Conference at the end of march, and I am seriously wanting to go.

However, looking at the price tag, there's no way I'd be able to go and my university dpt cant sponser me, how many other students have had this problem when it comes to conferences that you want to go to?

I know there are conferences that are relatively cheaper out there and I have been to a couple beforehand, but in general, rather expensive.

Also, who knows of any other ways to get to the conferences?

Daniel

Registered
    Aug 2008
    You may want to see if there is a 'scholarship' for the conference. Maybe a student paper that you can write or a poster session, sometimes that will get you reduced costs. You may even see if there are student rates. If anything tell the organizers that the conference is cost-prohibitve for students, and maybe they can work soemthing out with you or be more responsive in the future.

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Call them up, tell them your situation. They'll probably help you out. They may say something like, "we'll let you come for $50 without food" or some such. If you play the poor student card you should be able to register on the cheap or free. Then take that $$ figure to the department and see if they can help you offset that a little.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Oct 2012, 3:34 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:19 AM
  3. Does gentrification process engender social exclusion?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 13 Mar 2009, 1:37 PM
  4. CIP vs. APA conferences
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Aug 2002, 11:49 AM