Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Open space acquisition plan - Have you done one? Can you recommend a "good" one?

Registered
    Dec 2001

Open space acquisition plan - Have you done one? Can you recommend a "good" one?

Gifted from our Parks Department, I've been charged to develop an open space aquisition plan. The key to this plan is to build on top of our already compete Parks, Recreation, Open Space, and Trails (PROST) plan by determining where our open space resources are (many of which not identified in the PROST); determining their community value; gauging threats to the resource (development pressure, proposed utility/transportation corrdiors), and developing a prioritization schedule for aquisition of the resources. Additionally, the plan will contain a "play book" describing what aquisition strategies are available and how to follow an aquisition path-- think of it as "open space aquisition for dummies".

When this plan was being shopped to consultants, it was considered to be innovative and incomparible. I'm hoping that there are some comparative plans/studies available that I can refer to.

Why was the plan given to me? Well, the economy kind of soured the Parks Department consultant budget and they decided to do it in house. I was assigned it because I had been part of the consultant interview/selection team.

Any help that can be provided is much appreciated!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Check Cave Creek, Phoenix, Tucson and Casa Grande. I think each of these communities have something on their books.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Check Cave Creek, Phoenix, Tucson and Casa Grande. I think each of these communities have something on their books.
    Thanks for the links.

The plans I found on each of their websites were more a general parks plan which identified approximate future needs, locations and intents and goals of the park system. We've got one of these already, our PROST.

I couldn't find any plans which alluded to or were action plans or implementation plans. I guess this where the uniqueness comes through. We've already done the "big idea" and "big picture" work and now we need to implement it through a strategy and method as defined in my above paragraph. It really should be called an "operations manual" rather than a plan.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    May not be really transferrable out west, but here's ours.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    May not be really transferrable out west, but here's ours.
    Thanks! Many of the broad concepts are applicable. I appreciate the think!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm envious. This sounds like a very fun project.

http://www.carlsbadca.gov/planning/openspace.html
    http://www.trailsandopenspaces.org/TOPS-Criteria.htm
    http://www.openspace.slco.org/html/A...tion_Plan.html
    http://www.ci.longmont.co.us/openspa...cquisition.pdf
    http://www.triangleland.org/landowne...criteria.shtml

As far as strategies for acquisition go, I think you might be looking at acquisition by the city, county, a land trust, or other no-profit organization. Fee simple acquisition or easements might apply. Funding sources should be included, such as land donations, impact fees, exactions, grants, etc.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    If its not in the plan be sure to include working with the ever transparent and always a pleasure to work with State Land Department. You might want to include them in the process.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    If its not in the plan be sure to include working with the ever transparent and always a pleasure to work with State Land Department. You might want to include them in the process.
    Why?

more content to make the post long enough

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. "Good" vs "bad" retail companies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 39
    Last post: 14 Oct 2010, 8:26 PM
  2. What makes a plan a "good plan?"
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 9