Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Role-Playing At Seminars

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Role-Playing At Seminars

Katie is going to a dental seminar tomorrow. I was browsing her agenda for the day's activities and it includes some "role-playing". I didn't want to scare her off or make her nervous, so I didn't say anything. But....she is not the type of person that will take well to role-playing in that type of setting.

(Unless, of course, alcohol is involved. )

This Bear has attended quite a few seminars and/or training sessions that included role-playing. Mandatory, you know, if the presenter is in that demographic that enjoys embarassing the sxxx out of the participants.

The last few times I did the role-playing thing at a seminar I took the role of the "obnoxious customer" or "obnoxious non-team player". Those are roles that I relished......and I was amazed at how I successfully morphed-into character.

.......or, maybe there was no morphing at all.....

Hmmmmmmmmmm...........

How about you? Do some role-playing during training sessions, seminars, etc. I would bet dollars-to-donuts that many of you can really pull-off the irate homeowner at the counter, arguing about his collection of abandoned cars.

What say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I used to hate these exercises when I would have to go to training classes. I've been through so many of them that now I have fun when I have to do them on occasion now much like BUN does.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Role playing is a bit better than those stupid "ice breakers". "Let's play a little game to get to know each other"...barf. I actually had fun at one role playing stint. I was the dirty old man interviewing a young lass. I just acted normal.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I've done a lot of role playing but don't enjoy it in a classroom setting. Just never could get beyond the fact that it wasn't real. OTH, as a manager, I frequently did "role playing" while interviewing or doing evaluation sessions. That was much more fun.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The only fun I ever had role playing was at a seminar in NOLA. But it wasnt at the conference.

I really dislike role playing exercises and never use them in my classes. I guess I can think of situations where they might help, but for the ost part, they just become part of the reason people hate simnars.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Count me in as someone who hates role-playing. I can act, but I'm just very uncomfortable with this kind of exercise.

Maybe Katie is a closet geek, and it's this kind of role-playing ...

Tell her to cast magic missile ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2002

role playing

We put on a faux planning commission meeting where the staff and a few volunteers acted out as many of the errors and stupid mistakes we have heard commissioners make. Flirting with the applicant, opening the packet envelope at the meeting for the first time, answering a cell phone at the meeting. Most people thought it was funny. I don't know if the message got through.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I've always felt uncomfortable doing the role-playing thing at seminars. I also lack the creativity necessary to do a very convincing performance.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I've always felt uncomfortable doing the role-playing thing at seminars. I also lack the creativity necessary to do a very convincing performance.
    Sorry, pal....I totally disagree. At the Stanfests you were very convincing role-playing as somebody who knew what the hexx you were talking about.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmm....

I don't know anything about roll playing beyond being a level 48 warrior in WOW I gave it up though.......
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'd rather sit through a boring lecture than have to go "break up into groups in role-play!" like I'm in Kindergarten.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    I don't know anything about roll playing beyond being a level 48 warrior in WOW I gave it up though.......
    I've got a level 58, not counting the level 60 Death Knight.

On topic: I love roleplaying, when it's involving other roleplayers. The problem with conferences is that you have too many people that don't understand the concept. They become too self conscious, which pulls you out of your temporary reality and ruins the experience.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    On topic: I love roleplaying, when it's involving other roleplayers. The problem with conferences is that you have too many people that don't understand the concept. They become too self conscious, which pulls you out of your temporary reality and ruins the experience.
    I think this is an important point. The presenters or roleplaying moderators need to pick out those people in the group/audience that will play along with enthusiasm, and/or break the ice to loosen everyone up and embrace the fun. I participated in a well done roleplaying recently where the presenters selected enough loudmouths/dramatists to carry the game. It helped that they had everything scripted out, so if a few people just read the script without playing up the role, the extroverts could still carry the event. It worked well.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I like to roll the dice...the 20 sided is my favorite...
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I think it depends on my mood whether I enjoy it or not, but I particularly enjoy role-playing when it allows me to be far more argumentative or obnoxious than I would be normally (which is not at all). In fact, it was one of those role-playing exercises we did in school that helped spark my friendship with my (now) husband. He was the plan commissioner and I was the developer...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I hate training (been in the public sector 20 years, no, I don't need a course in phone etiquette...), I hate being condescended to, and I hate role playing. So I always refused. Flat out. Nobody ever said anything about it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Playing & Improving Civilization II
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Jul 2011, 8:01 AM
  2. Playing the -------card
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 80
    Last post: 27 Apr 2007, 11:55 AM
  3. Playing friendly
    Introduce Yourself