Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Will I get accepted ? (Canadian schools)

Registered
    Feb 2009

Will I get accepted ? (Canadian schools)

Hi,

I graduated just over two years ago with a degree in earth sciences (focus on geology). My grades in the first couple years weren't pretty and I even had to repeat a couple 2nd year courses (didn't fail them just wanted higher grades). My overall GPA in 2.9 because of it. In my final two years however my GPA was 3.5 and in my final year 3.8.

I've been working as a geologist for the past two years and decided I wanted a change. During this time i've become fluent in GIS programs ArcView and MapInfo, as well used other useful programs such as autocad. Working in mining also provides a unique background for planning (specifically environmental planning). I

I've applied to U of T, Ryerson, York and Dal. I'm wondering what my chances of getting in are. anyone out there with a similar experience ?

thanks
    AG

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2008
    in the states, at least, if your cumulative GPA undergraduate is below 3.0, some schools will say that's ok as long as you have at least a 3.0 in your last two years of undergraduate studies. you should be fine.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    I think your chances are good. I was out for 5 years in an unrelated field and I was accepted to several schools last year.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    I have a friend at Ryerson with a pretty low GPA and no work experience. I really regret not applying to Ryerson and York, because I would love to be in Toronto. U of T was too intimidating for me to even consider. Good luck!

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Ryerson has both undergrad and graduate programs. Do you know which he's in ? Also are you in a planning program somewhere else in the country ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    He's in grad.
    I'm not in planning yet. Applying this year and hoping to get into McGill.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2008
    Does anyone know how hard it is to get into U-Toronto? Is that a very competitive school like MIT or Harvard? I have a 3.5 GPA (3.75 in major) and some related experience (helped build urban gardens, interned for a preservation agency). I applied there because it sounds like a good policy-oriented school with some practical features and that is what I am looking for.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2007
    Canadian schools really confuse me. Last year I didn't know a single person from my geog dept at mcgill who was accepted to UBC Planning. I also know people who got into McGIll and didn't get into UofT, or vice versa. I think more than grades, it's really dependent on whether they think you will be a good fit in the program.

Registered
    Apr 2009
    hey nvijaya,

when did your friend here back from Ryerson? I have terrible postal service and I'm still waiting on the results of my application. For the record, I've got around a 3.4 final year gpa (my first years sucked) and some work experience as a construction surveyor too. I didn't get into McGill and UToronto though (although they nicely said my application was 'strong' - maybe just to make me feel better). I'm really hinging a lot on ryerson though. Maybe more than I should if I'm honest.

If I don't get in , and I'm a pessimist so I may not, I'm just wondering what to do with myself now. I haven't worked in quite some time and I'm sick of shitty retail work when I really want work in the field that I trained for.

btw slideruler, based on your qualifications and comparing them to mine I'd say you definitely qualify to apply to UofT and Greener66 should be optimistic too

Did you guys hear back yet from your grad apps?

I applied to Ryerson, U of T, and York last year and was accepted to all three of them.

U of T I felt was too intimidating, and they don't really specialize in urban planning. Their program is "Urban Studies", which is not very specific. Same thing at York.

So in the end, I chose Ryerson, which has been VERY hands on the first year.
    Ryerson has large planning studios to do your first year work in, ranging from learning how to do a site plan in AutoCAD to hand drawing a 3D townhouse complex. Plus there are the essential theory courses which give you an idea of the overall profession.

BTW my high school average was 81%, and for Ryerson an average of 70-73% will get you in.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    marcanadian, are you talking about ryerson's undergrad program? this thread is primarily concerned with graduate programs. UoT's program is very hands on with planning, my friend is there right now finishing up the program; i'm not sure where you are getting the Urban Studies vibe from...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    i think hes talking about the undergrad, in which case he's correct..

U of Ts urban studies isn't really a planning major, its not certified by the OPPI/CIP. rather it deals with learning a wide variety of interdisciplinary facets involved with studying the relationship between the city and the people within it, observing them through the use of geography, sociology, economics. its very theory based, very interesting, but not what I would call a 'hands-on' type of class. having said that, there are classes at U of T where you can learn a great deal about planning, including a class former chief planner Paul Bedford taught about the planning process (not sure if its still being taught by him), and a class where you spend a short placement in a planning office.

Ryerson's undergrad in planning focuses primarily on planning, and will get you a degree that certifies you with the OPPI/CIP. it includes studios, field placements, field trips, trips to other cities, and classes that deal with essentially all the various issues the typical urban planner would have to deal with, including sustainability, transportation, financing, ethics, community planning, etc.

both programs have their strengths and weaknesses. i dont think the ryerson program would focus as much on various forms of theory as much as U of T's program would. hence, it might be advantageous to take their undergrad, then to specialize in planning during your masters at a graduate school. however, if planning is all you're interested in right now, i would say it'd make sense to definitely go to ryerson.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. School: Canada (general) Canadian planning schools
    Student Commons
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 14 Jun 2013, 10:55 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Jan 2011, 11:39 PM
  3. Canadian MUP schools
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Feb 2009, 1:21 PM