Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Professional development cuts

Registered
    Jun 2005

Professional development cuts

What kind of cuts have people seen to their professional development budgets? We were told no conferences that require a fee this year and I just got some pushback from my boss when I asked about mileage reimbursement for a free conference at a location about 50 miles away (actually 70 miles away from where I live, but 50 miles from work).

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    What kind of cuts have people seen to their professional development budgets? We were told no conferences that require a fee this year and I just got some pushback from my boss when I asked about mileage reimbursement for a free conference at a location about 50 miles away (actually 70 miles away from where I live, but 50 miles from work).
    No conferences for us either, and we have to watch our reimbursable expenses. Our group's pay has already been slashed by 20% with mandatory furloughs one day a week (a day of our choosing..whoopie).
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    May 2007
    Professional development budget!? We're lucky to have a department budget! We're pretty much on our own for everything, it's been this way for a little over a year. No one is complaining though, it's the difference between a job and unemployment.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    My firm still does a lot of networking through professional development, which may lead to additional contracts. I also serve on a committee in my State APA Chapter, so I am pretty busy with that. My firm just finished a big trade show for the parks and rec. association. The National ASLA Conference is in Chicago this year, so the firm will be busy with that. I am also volunteering for the Regional APA Conference this fall. I also do networking events each month through workshops, training sessions,etc.

Even though we all took a 20% cut, they haven't made us cough up money for personal expenses, travel, or workshops, although that could easily be next. I have always been reimbursed for these. If they make any more cutbacks, I will simply give up networking. I took the initiative and started networking like crazy for the firm 3 1/2 years ago, long before this current mess. Fortunately I have 2 years to meet half of my CM credits for AICP for the 2 years cycle which ends at the end of 2011, so I might just wait with that until I'm in a new job.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Feb 1998
    This year is likely to have the worst turnout for APA national in recent history.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    What is this Professional development budget that you speak of ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I lost 5% of my budget and took it all from Professional Development.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm....

We earmarked +10% of our land use permit fees be set aside for continuing education and travel, tuition and seminar costs. It is for this reason that we are the only department still able to attend such events. This doesn't mean anyone is going to APA national or any out of state seminar/conference. It does mean that our building inspectors, code enforcement officers and planners can still attend required events.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    This year is likely to have the worst turnout for APA national in recent history.
    I was a student member for 3 years before I graduated my bachelor's degree. I forgot to re-enroll for my 5th and final year of school. I started my full-time planning job early last year. I was looking into the conference this year and I called and they said I wasn't a "new professional" because I wasn't a member my last year of school.

We can't afford the whole fee but we could do the "new professional" fee. I've been here just over one year and they say I'm not a "new professional". It's like they are happy to turn people away.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As a sidenote, one of the organizations I am a member of has decided to reduce dues and fees for its members who have become unemployed. Another has had a long-standing nominal membership fee for people between jobs. So maybe APA will consider the same...

just kidding - that will never happen.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I'm feeling spoiled. 20% of the budget out is huge, we only had to cut 6%, and we took it mostly from professional services. I have to confess that although I've been a planner for a while I've never gone to the national APA conference, so I'm not feeling deprived but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.....

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Nothing out of state this year. They are not giving approval for anything right now.

I agree better to do that than no work. Next year I will have to do at least one out of state for CFM. So we will just have to bite the bullet.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

My staff and I will get one conference each this budget cycle. Mine will be national, and I will be paying for the twins game, the tour and the prayer breakfast out of my own pocket.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Travel & Training budget this year has been axed, except those who need to retain certifications. No out-of-state travel and you have to be creative to find continuing ed courses. I'm 7 CM credits away onthe AICP deal which I can hopefully pick up (but mostly at our state APA conf with no overnight stay).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    Travel curtailed. Must be approved by City Manager even if budgeted. Obviously no APA national--but the twin cities in april doesn't really fire me up (no offense).

Next year will be worse. Bill out of committee in the SC Legislature would cut by 40% money localities reviceive from state.

Huge budget impact.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 Dec 2011, 9:34 AM
  2. Professional development and career path
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 07 Apr 2011, 2:41 PM
  3. Professional development for economic developers
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8