Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous Job Requirements

Registered
    Aug 2001

Ridiculous Job Requirements

Ability to operate the following tools and equipment: personal computer, including word processing, spreadsheet, database, and GIS software; motor vehicle; calculator; telephone; copy and fax machine; and various graphic design tools.
    calculator? ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME???

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Ability to operate the following tools and equipment: personal computer, including word processing, spreadsheet, database, and GIS software; motor vehicle; calculator; telephone; copy and fax machine; and various graphic design tools.
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Is that for a planning job?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    "Time for your calculator test. Mabel, can you wheel out the calculator ..."

squeak squeak squeak

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Is that for a planning job?
    Yes. Now tell me who can work spreadsheets and NOT a calculator? Jeebus Christmas.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Wit all doo respet, takes a doggon pro to fix em paper feeds what jam up reel easy...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Wit all doo respet, takes a doggon pro to fix em paper feeds what jam up reel easy...

Thats what it IT dept is for, right?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    At least they did not list a scanner, a film camera, a cassette player or a film projector.

Various graphic tools - what like a T-square, triangles, french curves, leroy lettering ?

Oh wait does this belong in that other thread ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Don't forget the proper care and feeding of the Rapidograph™ pen set.

Mike

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    "Ability to operate the following tools and equipment: personal computer, including word processing, spreadsheet, database, and GIS software; motor vehicle; calculator; telephone; copy and fax machine; and various graphic design tools."

Well I'd be out of the running - Copy and fax machines hate me. They jam up at my mere presence.

Anybody remember the HP calculators that required inverse notation?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by PlanMom View post
    Anybody remember the HP calculators that required inverse notation?
    Sold an HP 11C on eBay last year to help pay the mortgage during my bout of unemployment. Got a lot for it, too. I now have an HP 11C app for the iPhone.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Reminds me of when looking for a used car, I spotted an ad that listed digital clock as a feature...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Operating a mimeograph machine.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Operate a diazo machine.
    Use a manual planimeter.

Graphic tools include -
    the proper application of zippatone patterns;
    know the difference between warm and cool gray pantone markers;
    and which medium you use them on.

How to use registration pins and tabs.

OK so I am old knowing this stuff but that is how I started.
    Last edited by JNA; 14 Feb 2009 at 2:24 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Operate a diazo machine.
    Use a manual planimeter.

Graphic tools include -
    the proper application of zippatone patterns;
    know the difference between warm and cool gray pantone markers;
    and which medium you use them on.

How to use registration pins and tabs.
    It's not like calculators are obsolete, unlike all the things mentioned above (all of which we still had, and occasionally used, at my previous employer). It's more like "well, DUH, most people know how to use a calculator."

My favorites are entry-level positions where AICP certification is desirable, and one zoning consultant that insists on planners with both MUP and JD degrees. I also like reading the stock civil service requirements for some planning jobs in large cities, with qualifications like "must be able to lift and carry a 50 pound package".

Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Reminds me of when looking for a used car, I spotted an ad that listed digital clock as a feature...
    Or the mom-and-pop motels with signs advertising COLOR TV. Last time I stayed at a hotel that still had black-and-white television was when I was a kid in the early 1970s. Kellogg's Pan-Tree Inn, Canandaigua, New York. Now get the hell off my lawn, and get your grubby hands off of my Crown Vic.

In South Euclid, Ohio, there was a Chinese restaurant with a large neon sign in the front window that read "AIR CONDITIONED". I regretted not taking the chance to eat there before the place was torn down.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    .....qualifications like "must be able to lift and carry a 50 pound package".......
    Maybe due to the summer heat in Florida, our employees are only required to lift 25 pounds. Yes, it's in the MQs.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Sold an HP 11C on eBay last year to help pay the mortgage during my bout of unemployment. Got a lot for it, too. I now have an HP 11C app for the iPhone.
    Interestingly (from some quick curious digging), even though the HP 11C mid-range scientific calculator and its high-end HP 15C sister were both only produced during the 1980s (1981-1989 for the HP 11C), they still remain in high demand among professional scientists - and 20+ Y/O used units normally do command several hundred dollars each on eBay.

The similar and very ubiquitous HP 12C financial calculator was also introduced in 1981 and is still in new production with only evolutionary upgrades over the years.

Amazing.

Mike

I continue to amazed by the large percentage of people who can't use spreadsheets, or powerpoint. At least everyone uses word now.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    I continue to amazed by the large percentage of people who can't use spreadsheets, or powerpoint. At least everyone uses word now.
    Me too. I am the resident spreadsheet and presentation maker at the office much to my irritation. I think the most useful course I took as an undergrad was an Excel class.

I am currently looking for internships and the like and I am irritated at having to sign a release for a potential credit check especially when the position has nothing to do with finance or handling money.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2007
    I know we have touched on this topic before, but my least favorite requirement is the ambiguous "other duties as assigned". This has meant everything from shoveling the sidewalks, taking out the trash or most recently doing some demo work in our new offices.

I think a lot of the requirements regarding the operation of simple office equipment stems from HR departments that want to make sure they cover all their bases.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Interestingly (from some quick curious digging), even though the HP 11C mid-range scientific calculator and its high-end HP 15C sister were both only produced during the 1980s (1981-1989 for the HP 11C), they still remain in high demand among professional scientists - and 20+ Y/O used units normally do command several hundred dollars each on eBay.

The similar and very ubiquitous HP 12C financial calculator was also introduced in 1981 and is still in new production with only evolutionary upgrades over the years.

Amazing.

Mike
    I still have - and use - my TI-35 Galaxy Solar from Texas Instruments, purchased in 1983 I think.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post

Amazing.

Mike
    I remember when my Dad first came home with a programmable TI calculator. He was an EE and the company for whom he worked always had the latest and greatest math gadgets. It was hundreds of dollars - I don't remember which model it was, but it had little magnetic tapes with formulas embedded on them that you ran through it. I was more fascinated with running the tapes through than doing any actual math. He also had one of the HP's that required inverse notation - one of our engineers still has is and uses it frequently.

I had one of the HP financial calculators at my first job out of college - I remember when my Dad called me and told me about them. I made my boss run right out and get one...at the time, my boss was still doing project proformas by hand on giant sheets of ledger paper.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    This makes me crazy as well. The Pretender (one of my colleagues who only pretends to work) flatly refuses to do any math. REFUSES. During the last round of grant applications, I asked this person to calculate what percent 6 was of 22. Pretender: I have a math learning disability. I don't do math. Me: That is the great thing about Excel. Any idiot can use it, Let me show you so you can do it in the future. Pretender: NO. I DON"T DO MATH. Me: it isn't math, it is typing. Pretender: NO I WILL NOT TO LEARN HOW TO DO THIS YOU HAVE TO DO IT FOR ME runs out of my office.

I learned how to use Excel and Powerpoint by (horrors) trial and error, and by using the little question feature in the upper right hand corner. I'm no genius; If I can learn it, so can others.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Rapidograph pens
    Kids, in ye olden days, one loaded an ink barrel, affixed to the writing implement, and carefully drew a perfectly weighted line on mylar. None of this Select, Change Line Width, Save nonsense.

T-square

Waxer, X-Acto knife

I was once at an interview for a planning consultant position. (This was in a whole 'nuther country, about as far north as one can get. God's area code.) Was leafing through my portfolio and they asked if I could create graphics as good as the ones in their local master plan sample. Um, yeah.

Get off my lawn!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I am currently looking for internships and the like and I am irritated at having to sign a release for a potential credit check especially when the position has nothing to do with finance or handling money.
    That would annoy me, too. Why on earth do they need this information?!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    That would annoy me, too. Why on earth do they need this information?!
    I would suspect that the next successful major push in employment law will be in the area of credit checks, NOT card checks.

You were laid off a few weeks ago and your sudden lack of cash flow has just trashed your credit rating - you are now unemployable.

Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Confused about requirements
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Aug 2012, 11:06 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 17 Sep 2010, 5:27 PM
  3. Articulation requirements
    Design, Space, and Place