Urban planning community

Poll results: Which door do you like the looks of best (for whatever reason)

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Door 1

6 14.63%
  • Door 2

14 34.15%
  • Door 3

7 17.07%
  • Door 4

9 21.95%
  • Door 5

5 12.20%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Personality and Architecture

Registered
    Feb 2004

Personality and Architecture

I’m testing an unlikely hypothesis. Please take the poll, and tell us which door you think looks coolest. If you know your Myers Briggs type (e.g. INFP, ISTP and the like) include that info in a response. If you don’t know your type there are many on-line tests. Here’s one: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm

Thanks in advance if someone can provide a link to a better online Myers-Briggs test.

BTW, many of you have already taken an MB type test on this thread
    Last edited by Maister; 13 Feb 2009 at 1:40 PM.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    OOoh, very curious! I couldn't pick just one door that I liked, but I could easily pick a door that I didn't like, and that would be #3.

And I just took that personality test again this morning and resulted in an ENFJ. Extraverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Judging. I see that there is a link to an old thread, wonder if I posted in that and what my results were then. Interesting. I don't see myself as extroverted at all. I am, but only to people I know, so that doesn't seem that it would qualify

     
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    just back from a massive dog fight session
    Door 3 every time

just taken that Jung test, I'm an ESFP. I can only agree with that!
    Last edited by HarryFossettsHat; 13 Feb 2009 at 9:23 AM.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm an ISTP and chose door #2

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I couldn't pick just one door that I liked
    C'mon, SW MI Planner, just pick a door any door..... c'mon everyone else is....what are you chicken?...b-b-b-b buck buck....
    Last edited by Maister; 13 Feb 2009 at 9:05 AM. Reason: applied subtle peer pressure

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Door #4. though i would prefer a different handle.

oops. i got the numbers wrong and voted for door #3 in the poll. oops.

interestingly, when i did the Myers-Briggs test last time the thread was active i was: INFJ

today i took the test and am now: ISFJ.
    Last edited by dandy_warhol; 13 Feb 2009 at 9:44 AM.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I picked door #1 and I am an INTJ.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I am an INTJ and picked door #2
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I am ISTP and chose door #3.

3 is in a style that is much less prevalent than the others shown (I seek a certain level of individuality) and is probably in a very urban setting (probably central Paris or London, and I would love to live in a very dense city center).
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I am ISTP and chose door #3.

3 is in a style that is much less prevalent than the others shown (I seek a certain level of individuality) and is probably in a very urban setting (probably central Paris or London, and I would love to live in a very dense city center).
    I believe the Art Nouveau door is in Paris.

I picked door 2. Never been M-Bed. Its one of those things I purposely avoid to the point of staring blankly at a person when they ask me what I was.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'm an ISTP and chose door #2

C'mon, SW MI Planner, just pick a door any door..... c'mon everyone else is....what are you chicken?...b-b-b-b buck buck....
    omg, ok, I pick #4

But it is my nature to analyze the hell out of things, so now that I'm choosing, I'm thinking, ok, I like all doors. #1 and #5 are heavy and obtrusive. #2 is nice, lets in a little light but guarded. blah!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I'm an INTJ and I like door #5 best.

It's simple, yet has high craftsmanship. It looks sturdy and protective, including of privacy. Ultimately I think it looks like a door to a "study" in an ornate, old mansion either on the eastern US seaboard or somewhere in the rural UK.

Hi, Monty. I'm INTJ, and I'll take what's behind Door Three.

Carol, can you show our contestant what he's won?

(I believe the door is by Victor Horta and may be found in Brussels. I'm wild about Horta's Art Nouveau and have visited his house/museum there. Way, way cool.)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I voted for Door #2. It reminds me of that Scottish designer - MacIntosh, I think?

I'm an ISFJ... I don't know too many others.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I picked Door # 4.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I'm wild about Horta's Art Nouveau and have visited his house/museum there. Way, way cool.)
    I gotta admit that the intricate organic flowing lines one sees in those archetypal Art Nouveau examples are amongst the coolest arch. styles in the world. For fun you should do a Google image search for 'art nouveau door' and see examples of how the style manifested. So many awesome pics.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Interesting. Although I like the prairie style, I find I cannot select door 2 because it is not a particularly well-executed example of the style. The same goes for door 4, which is craftsman, another style I tend to enjoy. door 5 is a nice example of classical, but it is not often a style to which I gravitate. That leaves door 1 and door 3. These two, while seemingly different, share commonalities. Both gothic and art nouveau styles represent a break for more formal architecture based on classical forms. Both feature imaginative decoration, like the gargotles on a gothic church or the naturalistic themes common in Louis Sullivan's designs. (There are extremely few true examples of Art Nouveau architecture in America.) Both are associated with Romantic ideals and seek to relate emotionally with people.

It is a tough choice, but I ultimately chose door 3. In addition to its appeal to my tastes, it is a wonderfully well done example of the style.

I - 11%
    N - 89%
    T - 22%
    J - 11%

Mastermind

Of the four aspects of strategic analysis and definition, it is the contingency planning or entailment organizing role that reaches the highest development in Masterminds. Entailing or contingency planning is not an informative activity, rather it is a directive one in which the planner tells others what to do and in what order to do it. As the organizing capabilities the Masterminds increase so does their inclination to take charge of whatever is going on.

It is in their abilities that Masterminds differ from the other Rationals, while in most of their attitudes they are just like the others. However there is one attitude that sets them apart from other Rationals: they tend to be much more self-confident than the rest, having, for obscure reasons, developed a very strong will. They are rather rare, comprising no more than, say, one percent of the population. Being very judicious, decisions come naturally to them; indeed, they can hardly rest until they have things settled, decided, and set. They are the people who are able to formulate coherent and comprehensive contingency plans, hence contingency organizers or "entailers."

Masterminds will adopt ideas only if they are useful, which is to say if they work efficiently toward accomplishing the Mastermind's well-defined goals. Natural leaders, Masterminds are not at all eager to take command of projects or groups, preferring to stay in the background until others demonstrate their inability to lead. Once in charge, however, Masterminds are the supreme pragmatists, seeing reality as a crucible for refining their strategies for goal-directed action. In a sense, Masterminds approach reality as they would a giant chess board, always seeking strategies that have a high payoff, and always devising contingency plans in case of error or adversity. To the Mastermind, organizational structure and operational procedures are never arbitrary, never set in concrete, but are quite malleable and can be changed, improved, streamlined. In their drive for efficient action, Masterminds are the most open-minded of all the types. No idea is too far-fetched to be entertained-if it is useful. Masterminds are natural brainstormers, always open to new concepts and, in fact, aggressively seeking them. They are also alert to the consequences of applying new ideas or positions. Theories which cannot be made to work are quickly discarded by the Masterminds. On the other hand, Masterminds can be quite ruthless in implementing effective ideas, seldom counting personal cost in terms of time and energy.

People (real)? Thomas Jefferson
    People (fictional)? Gandalf the Grey
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    But what are behind the doors?

I think we need a new poll now.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    INFP (probably the WORST type for public sector planning work...)

Who has chosen...

Door #4

Here is an analysis:
    Door number 4 provides clean and simple lines, with a little view outward (or inward). I also liked Door #2, but the amount of windows provides too much of a glimpse into my world. Door #4 allows me privacy from outside inquiry, but also an opportunity if I choose to examine and analyze the outside world.
    Last edited by zman; 13 Feb 2009 at 10:42 AM.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Depending on the day, I'm either an INTJ or ENTP. Got a couple areas where I'm on the cusp. Anyway, I picked door #3 for aesthetic reasons, closely followed by #1. I'd like to see the doors without their surrounding detail to see if that would change my opinion. BTW, I do like the Frank Lloyd Wright stained glass of doors #2 but the rest of those doors including hardware and gap are poorly executed. Better workmanship might have changed my opinion.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2005
    It depends on the structure it would go with.

Just from a pure enjoyment perspective I would pick Door #2

ENTP

I would make an assumption that a person with this personality type would pick the tree door, but I think it is just gaudy.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Jan 2009
    INTP - door 4

there are so many J's around here...
    Last edited by cellophane; 13 Feb 2009 at 11:10 AM.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Door #4 and I'm a INFJ. I liked #4 because of it's clean lines but it had some interesting detail in the stained glass. The others were over the top.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I picked Door #4, for whatever that means. No. 1 reminds me too much of a church. No. 2 has too much glass (not secure). No 3 doesn't appear to have a door knob. No. 5 is too woody.

None are doors I would want for my house.

ISTJ
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Door #2 and INFP . Door 2 because I'm into art deco.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The skinny on DNA and personality
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 26 Sep 2011, 2:24 PM
  2. The Personality of States
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Sep 2008, 10:20 PM