Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Wood/wire fence: is there a name for this?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Wood/wire fence: is there a name for this?

In the last hours of writing the land development code, I just noticed a style of fence that I've only seen in the Austin area (although it may exist elsewhere). It has a wood frame, and a mesh of thick woven wire. Is there a formal name for this type of fence?

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It looks similar to an "agricultural fence," though surely a modified version of it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Looks like welded-wire-mesh. I don't know if there's a specific name for the style.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Urban framed deer fence
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

See it some in NC and SC

That's framed hog wire fence.
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."
    Aphorisms on Public Hearings, Planning Guild Handbook (2001).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would classify it as Ornamental Wire Fencing or Rustic fencing

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by AnvilPartners View post
    See it some in NC and SC

That's framed hog wire fence.
    I agree. (I, too, have seen fences just like that around the South.) Do you think it's galvanized hog wire?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    After doing a bit more research, I found wire mesh, hog wire and cable rail. In the code, I'm going to call it "Wood frame wire (mesh, hog wire, cable rail)". Thanks!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    After doing a bit more research, I found wire mesh, hog wire and cable rail. In the code, I'm going to call it "Wood frame wire (mesh, hog wire, cable rail)". Thanks!
    Brings back fond memories - I like it!

Will you be including metal-framed (mesh, hog wire, cable rail) fences in this particular piece of code?
    If so, will you be adding electrical metal frames?

Also, will your code include the coyote rollers that some residents install on top of their low fences? No kidding- my friends there say that the coyotes have become garbage scavengers. Over the years, the critters have become increasingly less fearful of houses/humans and have become suburban/urban pests...

Since coyotes 'jump over' fences by hopping on top and then immediately hopping to the other side, the rollers cause them to fall flat to the ground; they may die immediately or incur wounds from which they often don't recover.

Finally, if you decide to include in your code coyote rollers on fences, will it direct people to that portion of the code that delineates proper coyote disposal?

P.S. That particular fence image in your first post... what a bad deterrent to coyotes! They are known to dig the dirt underneath to get to the other side...

Registered
    Aug 2008
    A stouter grid with bigger gauge wire that is popular for deck guards in this area (though doesn't meet building code if more than four inches) is called "cattle panel", and comes in pieces about four feet by ten.

Question about hte uses of these fences: are they to keep outsiders out? or insiders in?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've nicknamed this style of fence as "Urban faux Cowboy" fencing. It is something that is peppered all over central Texas. It is used out in my area and we've been working on code as well to address it. Technically, it doesn't meet building codes when used as a railing because it is "climbable", but most CBOs I know are looking the other way.

Most of these are for decorative purposes only; no security element. It's a cheap way to get a fairly high-impact rustic look.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    We priced it out. We found it more expensive than your typical pre assembled picket fence.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I like this fence! We have been looking for a type of fence to put around a small part of our yard, where we will let the dogs out. We have not wanted to use anything tall or anything that will block the view, as there will be gardens adjacent to the fence, and we want to keep the open feel we have now. I thought about making something with cable, but there is a chance the dogs could get out. This is a much better solution.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Cardinal, how big are your dogs? if they're not tiny, a picket fence willh old them in and look better.
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Luca View post
    Cardinal, how big are your dogs? if they're not tiny, a picket fence willh old them in and look better.
    They are average sized dogs - 40 and 65 pounds. The issue is that we want a fence that is mostly transparent to preserve our views.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Sopranos v The Wire
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 24 Jan 2008, 5:07 PM
  2. Heating With Wood Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 45
    Last post: 04 Oct 2007, 5:10 PM
  3. Which wire?