Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Scottish graduate looking for masters course in the US

Registered
    Feb 2009

Scottish graduate looking for masters course in the US

I am currently in my final year at the University of Glasgow (Scotland) and studying geography. My intention is to come to the US to undertake a one year masters (postgraduate) degree in transportation planning. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a university anywhere in the US that provides a masters course in Transport Planning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Alastair Ross (0506282r@student.gla.ac.uk)

Moderator note:
    (Gedunker) Welcome to Cyburbia, ARoss! Questions about university are rightly posted in the Student Lounge sub-forum. Thread moved from the Transportation Planning sub-forum. Thank you and carry on!
    Last edited by Gedunker; 16 Feb 2009 at 10:58 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2007
    Hi! Welcome to Cyburbia

Most of the Master's programs in the US are two years, not one (although I know that's not the case in England/the UK). Many programs offer a degree in Urban Planning or City and Regional Planning, and you concentrate in a specialized area like Transportation Planning (you take courses/intern/write a thesis on that topic). I would recommend looking for planning schools in a few areas of the country you would want to live in and see if they offer transportation planning (many schools do). You can also check out the Planetzein guide to find schools that are highly ranked in transportation planning. To find accredited schools, check out the Planning Accreditation Board's list (it's online at http://www.planningaccreditationboar...ndex.php?id=30)

I hope that helps in getting you started; I just applied for this fall so I don't have too much specific information for you. Good luck!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    I think Boston University has a masters planning degree that can be completed in one year.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 May 2011, 3:27 AM
  2. A Scottish Hello
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Sep 2010, 11:51 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 30 Sep 2009, 9:27 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Jan 2006, 5:17 PM