Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: New Member- Undergrad student at Umass

Registered
    Feb 2009

New Member- Undergrad student at Umass

Hello.
    I'm an undergraduate student majoring in Political Science with a certificate in Public Policy and Administration at the University of Massachusetts. I'm thrilled that I've discovered this site as it has been incredibly helpful so far. I'm interested in going to Grad school for Regional Planning but having a hard time figuring out what I should do. So far I haven't been able to find many internships related to planning for undergrads and I'm sort of dismayed by the fact that there are only 5 schools in MA that offer degrees in planning. I'd appreciate any advice from anyone who has already gone through this process or can direct me to helpful threads.

Thanks,
    Doug

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Doug - We don't have to tell you it's a tough job market. Best of luck.
    Do you intend to stay in MA? If not, out of state schools would be an option.

And welcome from the Florida panhandle.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Welcome from the Hoosier State, along the Ohio River.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Howdy from a former neighbor, but many years ago. (Mt Holyoke...)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Welcome from Western PA.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Welcome. 5 grad programs in planning is actually a pretty good # for a state the size of MA (although I can only think of 4 off the top of my head.)

If you do want to stay in the area without lots of debt, UMass is a pretty good option. If you are lucky/smart/connected, MIT or Harvard are obviously very good but, I think, not necessary for most planning work. Tufts is good but expensive. If you are willing/interested to leave the area, there are lots of options. In the meantime, I would recommend looking for experience that is even slightly related. Even an administrative job in a planning office is well worth it.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Welcome from Central Indiana. Good luck in your search for a graduate program, look for funding opportunities. Planning is not the highest paying profession, so don't go into too much debt to get your degree.

Look for internships, even if it is only filing papers. Looking through case files and being exposed to the workings of a planning department is a good way to at least get some idea of the planning world.

Enjoy your time and have some fun here. Don't hesitate to ask for help, that's what we are all here for!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 11 Dec 2011, 12:29 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 10 Nov 2011, 12:00 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Sep 2011, 12:04 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last post: 12 May 2010, 8:17 AM
  5. UMASS Amherst MRP program
    Student Commons