Urban planning community

Poll results: How does your job relate to organized labor?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Union--mandatory condition of employment

4 9.30%
  • Union--right-to-work state (not mandatory)

1 2.33%
  • Non-union

35 81.40%
  • Other--please explain below

3 6.98%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your job - union or not?

Registered
    Jun 2007

Your job - union or not?

Is your job union or not? Do you live in a right to work state or not?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Is your job union or not? Do you live in a right to work state or not?
    LMAO. How about just glad to have a job? I live on the whim of the shareholders.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Non-Union. But we are a right-to-work state.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I'm union in what is perhaps the most union-heavy state in the US.

Registered
    May 2007
    Non union, never will be in a union. They're not much different than the national APA, take your money, and provide you with little benefit. While I agree unions did a lot to establish the "middle class" and provided every worker with their current standards, they've done little in modern times to promote the common worker. Now they're large, lobbying groups that are trying to increase their membership roles and support unsustainable interests.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I'm a part owner of a firm with three other people, and we have two employees on top of that, so no union for me.

Right to work state, but my city has many employment laws that are more restrictive than other areas - mandatory employer-provided health care (which we must provide to our employees or pay a fee to the city for the employees to be provided for through "Healthy SF" insurance), a minimum wage higher than pretty much anywhere else that increases with inflation each year ($9.79 right now - this doesn't directly affect us), mandatory paid sick leave even for part time employees, plus some other stuff. I generally don't agree with this stuff being put into place at the city level, though much of this stuff is slowly being taken up by other cities in the metro and state, so there's lots of room for debate.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

I work at a university. No union, and our school has no tenure.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    No union in a right to work state. I am glad about that. No offense to our unionized comrades, but I do not care for unions. Plus, I am in management and unions would make my life harder.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by MacheteJames View post
    same here.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Florida is a right to fire work state. I'm management, so no union.
    The shop is also non-union which is why I've found it so easy to fire people--all for cause, of course.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Not many unions here in the South.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    Non-union. I had one union job while I was in college - the union was utterly useless in reining in overzealous security types that nearly ruined my life. Thank God my roommate's father was an attorney....

Registered
    Mar 2005
    No municipal employee unions permitted in NC.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Not unionized here in Indiana. I am an exempt employee, so it wouldn't matter anyway. Indiana is a right-to-work state. I have mixed feelings about unions. Union was a 4-letter word in my house growing up. Right after both my sister and I were born, my father's company went on stike, putting him out of work for several months.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Like the majority, no union and live in a right to work state.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I'm management, so non-union. The rest of the staff is AFSCME. It's generally good for them and good for the city since there's only one negotiation instead of a hundred.

I'm also management-so no union. I serve at the will of the elected officials. After 11 years in management, I'm used to it.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm non-union in NY. Go figure.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    There are union employees in the office but there is no right to strike for public unions in Mass. I have generally found that (with one or two exceptions that prove the rule) the union status doesn't make much difference around here. Although the longer I stay in management the more anti-public-sector-union I become, so I guess up against the wall I go when the revolution comes.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    What jmello and beach bum said
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 2007
    Non union in a right to work state.

I despise unions...
    Navy collier
    USS Cyclops

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Just out of curiosity and as one of the only union people to respond in this thread, what are people's grievances with unions? Is it the fact that they can make it harder to fire an employee, or something else?

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Just out of curiosity and as one of the only union people to respond in this thread, what are people's grievances with unions? Is it the fact that they can make it harder to fire an employee, or something else?
    1 - I am in management and unions would make my life difficult

2 - If you have Civil Service (in the public sector) what is the point of having a union, that provides adequate protections and you do not have to lose any of your pay.

3 - I personally think unions had their moment where they substantially assisted the blue collar men and women of this county get better working conditions. Well, we have better working conditions for these individuals.

4 - Mandatory unionization takes away people's choice. You should not be forced to join an organization that you may or may not agree with in principal (or politics) in order to have a job.

5 - Employer A wants to compensate employee C $X because she did really well and deserved to get more money than employee Y who is a useless tool. I do not want some union contract telling me that I cannot use pay as an incentive to improve work performance.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    May 2005
    I work for a smaller non-profit. No unions for us. We are not a right-to-work state.

New Mexico is what they call a "at will employment" state which, in this climate, makes for a rather precarious situation for some (or potentially anybody).

This is what it says:
    "any hiring is presumed to be "at will"; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals "for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all," and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work"

Basically, no job security. Also, no buying people out of contracts, although that territory is a bit foggy. Evidently some contracts are considered binding as we found out when a superintendent for the school system was fired after a few dismal years on the job but they sued for future income based on the contract.

But for average Joe's like you and me (call me Joe Non-Profit, if you will), it basically means anyone can leave or be fired at any time for any reason. Wild wild West...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I think the biggest issue is the inability to reward a better worker, even if s/he hasn't been there as long as someone else. I understand that is the point of unions (equal protection for all employees) but I don't think that results in the best conditions for the better union workers, since they don't get rewarded.

There have been situations in my office where we've been faced with layoffs and, while I don't want anyone to get laid off, there are some employees I could live without and others that I really would hate to lose. The unions take away any flexibility there- its all about seniority.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Union Membership
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 20 Jun 2012, 5:39 PM
  2. The State of the Union Show
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 27 Jan 2011, 7:26 PM
  3. Replies: 19