Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: TED Lectures.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

TED Lectures.

So I was perusing another blog recently, when I came upon a link to a lecture about raising children and letting them live dangerously. Interesting lecture and it offered a link to how creativity is no longer taught to our kids, which offered a link to finding your own creativity which then prompted me to look into the rest of the site for other talks on science and technology, economics, wisdom and philosophy.

Apparently TED is a forum for ideas.
    From the site:
    We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and ultimately, the world. So we're building here a clearinghouse that offers free knowledge and inspiration from the world's most inspired thinkers, and also a community of curious souls to engage with ideas and each other. This site, launched April 2007, is an ever-evolving work in progress, and you're an important part of it.
    With an annual conference in Long Beach, CA and Oxford, UK many thinkers and teachers from around the world come to talk. Last night I watched a couple (the wife is out of town) and have become fascinated by what I have seen so far, whether I agree with it or not.

Here are some links:

About TED

5 Dangerous Things Your Kids Should Do

How Schools Kill Creativity

Talk on Nurturing Creativity and Genius

The Loss of Wisdom

These talks are typically 20 minutes long. I watched a couple last night, but also listened to them while diving deeper into the finer details of my GIS projects of late.

It at least gets you thinking and I think would be fascinating to attend one day.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Kids

FWIW.....this Bear did all of these things when I was a kid.....

Climbed trees. A lot of them.
    Jumped out of second-story windows into sand piles.
    Jumped off a 35-foot platform at a swimming quarry.
    Ice-skated 5 miles down a river and 2 miles out into Lake Erie, all the way to Turtle Island (and back).
    Belonged to an archery club.
    Stayed underwater long enough to get Mom worried.
    Chopped-down trees.
    Bought, sanded, caulked, painted, and eventually sank-in a $15 boat.
    Touched an electric fence (just to "see what it felt like").

Being a normal kid, doing some "dangerous" things, didn't bother me, bother me, bother me, bother me, bother me, bother me, bother me, bother me, bother me, bother me, bother me, bother me, bother me......

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    Activities I did as a kid:

Climb trees
    Ice skate/play hockey with boys
    swam to the sand bar and back (about half a mile each way)
    pedaled my tricycle as fast as I could off the end of the dock in a feeble attempt to fly (also did this in my mustang pedal car)
    Rode my horse across a river while hanging on its tail (It was a deep river) - we did this numerous times until our parents found out...
    Rode my horse bareback, barefoot, no helmet, and using a halter rather than a bridle
    Pulled the rope swing in the barn up to the hayloft and then jumped off...
    Built "rafts" with scrap lumber and then tried to float around the lake in them....
    (2x4's and plywood are not very bouyant, especially when nailed together with roofing nails by a bunch of 10-year-olds)
    A friend and I rode her ponies to school on "Horse Day" - 10 miles round-trip - bareback again. (no helmet either)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 6:31 PM