Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Help with legal desc. please.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Help with legal desc. please.

I have to write a very basic legal description. It is not required of me to be overly technical. My question, though, is how do I word it when the boundary is following the centerline of a street; and then it turns, to follow lot boundaries perpendicular to that street? I've attached a drawing of what I mean, along with how I would word it. My concern is resolving the 'gap' between the centerline of the street and the lot lines. Thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Feb 2007
    IMO you should be very accurate on any legal description, and some of us may not be able to help because laws vary by state. I have complied legal descriptions based on record of surveys for sites. Centerlines generally should never be used in a record of survey, as they change. stick to property lines or other boundaries that are recorded, makes life easier for all.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Thanks, but it's an overlay zone that I'm working on--and we are required to define it by the centerline of the right of way (perhaps you're referring to creeks and so forth which should never be defined by centerline). No surveyor is needed.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    How about:

South along the centerline of Main Street to a point opposite the southern boundary of lot 10, Block 1, Any subdivision, thence west to the intersection of the easterly and westerly blot lines of lot 10, Block 1, Any subdivision, thence
    West along the southern boundary line of lots 10 and 4 of Block 1 Any Subdivision, etc.
    Seldom right, never in doubt

Registered
    Feb 1998
    What Otis suggests will work. A word of caution: do not call it a legal description. Instead of "legal" use "district" or some other word. In KS, only licensed surveyors can write legal property descriptions.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Oct 2012, 3:19 PM
  2. Uses Legal brothels in Ontario
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Mar 2012, 3:36 PM
  3. Should Prostitution be Legal?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 88
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 8:29 PM