Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Brewing Scandal at APA

Registered
    Jul 2006

Brewing Scandal at APA

I was disappointed twice when I saw this. First, because it didn't have anything to do with beer. Second, because I thought I couldn't be any more disappointed in APA leadership.

From the other professional forum:

http://www.planetizen.com/node/37407

Off-topic:
    I passed the ethics portions of the AICP test and I'm not FAICP.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 1999
    This is yet another instance of a few people mis-using FL's DROP retirement system. It allows employees in the state system to give notice of their retirement plans several years early and begin receiving some benefits in the time period before they retire. It's basically an economic incentive for higher-salaried employees to commit to a retirement date. There is no requirement that they be considered for re-hiring.

The controversy in our county involves a number of teachers with 30+ years of employment, who signed the paperwork for the program, and now don't want to retire, and either want to extend their DROP date or be re-hired. School board policy allow them to be considered to be re-hired, but only at the pay level of teachers with 5 years experience. The teachers think that's unfair. I think it's sensible; they made a commitment to retire.

Anyway, I think the superintendant of schools where I used to live in central FL did what Hunter wants to do, and got his job back.

There's been a backlash from residents and I don't blame them. These people are going to ruin the DROP program.

(I have some personal interest here, BTW. If I can get 8 more years in the state system, I can DROP with full 30-yr benefits)

Registered
    Jun 2007
    If they genuinely need him back, which I doubt they need him at full capacity if he had already retired, they could have given him a small contract for consulting services. Would he still have been within legal and ethical boundaries then? Especially if his non-state private retirement investments have taken the beating that everyone else's has, I can understand the desire to come back to a 6-digit job than being the grumpy old guy at the Wal-Mart entrance. But still, the 3 years' planning bit screams shady behavior.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm certainly not saying that Mr. Hunter is doing anything that's unusual, illegal, or unethical, just that the appearance of unethical behavior is nearly as bad when you're in a public position.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

As far as the AICP Code of Ethics goes...

Shouldn't we be avoiding the perception...?

c) We shall avoid a conflict of interest or even the appearance of a conflict of interest in accepting assignments from clients or employers.
    a) We shall protect and enhance the integrity of our profession.
    I'm finding this very disappointing.

RES
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."
    Aphorisms on Public Hearings, Planning Guild Handbook (2001).

Registered
    May 2005
    I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

And why are we all collectively suprised by this?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm amazed the FL retirement fund allows this type of shenanigan. Here in IL, my state pension does not allow retirees to work for any IL municipalities while receiving the pension money.

Yeah...I call "crap" on this one.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    And why are we all collectively suprised by this?
    This from the same organization where the executive director is also the ethics officer... I'm still waiting for a response as to how that is handled if someone accuses the ED of an ethics violation...

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    In Iowa you can return to an IPERS covered job after about 4 months. There are also salary restrictions if you are not 65 or older. They are very strict that no deals are made during the waiting period. They have found promises of re-employment to violate the policy and have demanded repayment of benefits.

I think this is wrong and he should resign from his APA post.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I bet APA will try to sweep this under the rug.

Registered
    May 2003
    APA President in Brewing Scandal

So, what, did he use too many hops or something? Steal the secret ingredients for Anchor Steam? Overcharge the American public for swill?

I say, off with his head.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Lame

Just go off and be a high paid consultant someplace or better yet a lobbyist in DC, that would fit his new profile All I know is that if any of us schmucks tried 1/2 this, we'd get drummed out of APA and made an "example"
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Scandal and legacies
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 07 Oct 2011, 3:08 PM
  2. Good old fashion scandal
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 Jun 2008, 3:34 PM
  3. Civil War Brewing in Mexico