Urban planning community

Poll results: Display your credentials?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hexx yeah, I worked hard for that.

21 52.50%
  • No, that is too pretentious.

8 20.00%
  • I would if I could, but I am unable to right now.

5 12.50%
  • Other, explain below.

6 15.00%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The display of your credentials (degrees, AICP certificate, other certifications)

Registered
    Aug 2007

The display of your credentials (degrees, AICP certificate, other certifications)

I was looking through some boxes that I still haven't unpacked from my move, nearly a year ago, and stumbled across my degrees. It got me thinking who actually displays their degrees or other credentials? I always see it when I go to the doctor (a way to build confidence in your patients?) or in academia, but it seems to be hit or miss in other professions.

In my office, the administration side of Town governement, the only one who has anything on his walls is the building commissioner, and he has an office. Granted 5 of the 11 employees are in cubicles, so it would be a bit strange hanging your sheepskin on a cubicle wall. When the Planning and Building department moves, and I get my own office I may display my degree.

So what say you, fellow Cyburbians? Do you hang your credentials? Are you a public or private employee? Planner or non-planner? What are your general thoughts on this topic?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm a public employee and not at all interested in impressing anyone with my 'letters'. All the degrees, diplomas and certificates remain safely preserved in a drawer somewhere.

"I wear my adornments on my soul." Cyrano de Bergerac - Edmund Rostand
    Last edited by Maister; 26 Feb 2009 at 9:37 AM. Reason: added pretentious quote for ironic effect

Mine are proudly and prominently displayed in my office -- at home, where I use them to motivate my kids

I do, however, have 'Ode to a Junked Vehicle' by our very own Maister, displayed on my wall at work for all to see. Our Code Enforcement Officer is very fond of it.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I do, however, have 'Ode to a Junked Vehicle' by our very own Maister, displayed on my wall at work for all to see. Our Code Enforcement Officer is very fond of it.
    Huh ??

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I could fill a wall, at least a medium sized one, with diplomas, certificates and resolutions of appreciation. I'd rather hang pictures of family, pets, art, and scenery that I want to look at than put the other stuff up to impress people with my accomplishments.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    'Ode to a Junked Vehicle' by our very own Maister
    Please repost it.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Please repost it.
    Found it.

I had quite forgotten about that but found it on the Bad Planner Poetry thread.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...0&postcount=44

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Everyone in this firm displays their diplomas, certifications, licenses, awards, etc. on the walls or tables in their offices, library, conference room, and especially in the waiting area up front. I don't think it's pretentious or boastful.

Firms compete to stay in business. Anything that a firm can do to set themselves apart from the competition, whether it's a license or certification boasts the proposal team's credibility in the eyes of the potential client. Awards are actually the icing on the cake: some firms devote months preparing award submittals for APA, ASLA, etc. and some firms choose not to compete at all because they don't need to.

I don't think there is anything boastful about it at all: you worked hard for it, didn't you? I plan on keeping my AICP (and hopefully LEED AP) initials even when I am in grad school for landscape architecture, although it wouldn't be stamped onto EVERY project. I'm not ashamed of it. If my fellow classmates are uncomfortable with it, they will just have to get used to it, that's just the way the world works. Professionals have all sorts of intitials when they work on projects. I would be coming into grad school with at least 7-8 years of experience in a related profession, but I would still be a humble unknowledgeable student just like everyone else, learning the tools of a new trade. I think professionals should judge you on the quality of your work and the expertise that you bring to the table. The frame on the wall is just a small validation.
    Last edited by nrschmid; 26 Feb 2009 at 10:18 AM.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Ah, yes, ye old "Worship Me Wall"...never did it in the public sector, but I did have a display at a couple of private sector jobs. I currently don't have one, since I work primarily from home (my wife knows my credentials, and my cat is seemingly unimpressed by them, so there's no reason for a display ).
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The couple public sector employers I had went so far as to list your credentials on your office (or cube) name plate. I have always displayed my letters, but never the stoopid certificates like "project manager boot camp" and such.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    If I ever get AICP I will put those behind my name. I don't think there's anything wrong with displaying your degree in your own office. I have one friend who keeps every certificate he's ever gotten for whatever purpose and I laugh at him regularly for it. That's going overboard.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2002
    I've got one certificate naming me as a Professional Emergency Manager that I earned and paid a lot of money to have framed. My AICP certificate and my diplomas are still in boxes. Not that I'm not proud of them, but I don't feel the need to verify those claims I guess.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    AICP is hanging on the wall
    considering the total amount of money $,$$$ I have paid and continue pay for it.
    Oddball

I am in academia.

No one puts their diplomas on the wall, because it is assumed that everyone has a Phd or a masters.

I put up my teaching awards, because I am very proud of them.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I plan on hanging a duplicate of my degree on my wall when/if I ever get an office. I also plan on using any initials I may earn (AICP, CFM, etc.) on business cards and in e-mail and letter signatures.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I have before, but this place, people would view it as me saying I'm better than they are, not that I'm qualified for the job.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I proudly display, "Jr." after my name everywhere it is written!

Wait.... What initials are we talking about?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    As I look on the wall right now in my office, I have AICP, masters degree, a picture of the Administration Building from the Columbian Exposition, a large arieal of the hotspot of the jurisdiction and three drawings from my daughter. These are all credentials for me. When I was in the private sector, the company wanted creds on the main hallway wall for all to see. In the public sector again, I put those two certificates on the wall in my own office and a few citizens see them. My boss actually wants staff to put them up because it helps the department image (long story of the depts perception in the past).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I used to have my AICP on the wall, but took it down for a calendar. None of my degrees, etc. are on the wall. When I was private sector I had them up, but not in public sector. The only reason I had the AICP up was to deal with people who said, "you're not a planner!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    The couple public sector employers I had went so far as to list your credentials on your office (or cube) name plate. I have always displayed my letters, but never the stoopid certificates like "project manager boot camp" and such.
    Since we worked at the same place, I know what he is referring to about "project manager boot camp." It seems incredibly silly to me, too. Initials like AICP at least signify something. But some of the stuff I see on resumes here makes me wonder.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ah....yeah....

I have framed my degrees and certificates....because they cost A LOT OF $$$ to get in most cases and yes I'm proud of having them.....there I said it.....so sue me Right now I have my Masters, AICP and CFM on the wall in various places out of most peoples sight.

My favorite of all time was a coworker that proudly displayed the largest bachelor's degree I've ever seen....from the University of Viginia....it had to be 36"x24" in size! and in a Walnut frame I think.... The smallest diploma I've ever seen was about 8"x10" from Yale University Law School.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Both of my degrees are in nice frames on the wall of my office. And I'm a public sector employee. This was the s.o.p. in all three communities where I've worked for any non admin employee. My AICP certificate, hot off the press, will go up as soon as I can find a complimentary frame. I agree that it adds to the professionalism of the department and shouldn't be viewed as pretentious. I don't think I'd go as far as retaining or displaying that 1997 Microsoft Word certification but anything related to higher education or professional qualifications/exams is fair game in my opinion.

Also, as a sidenote, I've been at this job for three years and the diplomas have been up for just as long. Recently one of my co-workers said, hey, I didn't know you have a masters...
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    For me the next best thing to having a CFM certificate is having the EMI resident NFIP and CRS course certificates.
    Copies are in my personnel file but not up on any wall.
    Oddball

Registered
    May 2005
    What are these credentials of which everyone speaks???

Does "Jr." count?

Oh wait........I'm not even a Jr.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    As I look on the wall right now in my office, I have AICP, masters degree, a picture of the Administration Building from the Columbian Exposition, a large arieal of the hotspot of the jurisdiction and three drawings from my daughter. These are all credentials for me. .
    I have a picture from when I got married five years ago up in my office. That was the best day of my life, including the days I graduated for my three degrees.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Using AICP credentials
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 07 Nov 2012, 10:18 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 May 2012, 10:05 AM
  3. Certifications
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2