Urban planning community

Poll results: Display your credentials?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hexx yeah, I worked hard for that.

21 52.50%
  • No, that is too pretentious.

8 20.00%
  • I would if I could, but I am unable to right now.

5 12.50%
  • Other, explain below.

6 15.00%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The display of your credentials (degrees, AICP certificate, other certifications)

Registered
    Nov 2005
    All of the senior management have their wall of licenses, diplomas, and certificates, so it is strongly encouraged where I work. I have ACIP, Master's Degree, Uncergraduate Degree, and Certificate of Local Government Management (plus a bunch of artwork) displayed on my walls.
    Satellite City Enabler

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I know it's cheesy, but both AICP and college degree are on my wall behind my desk. Its my years in the profession, not the degree and certification that give me my planning creds, but they don't hurt.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have my undergrad and grad school degrees framed on a wall behind my desk. I'm a state school hero

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I used to have my AICP on the wall, but took it down for a calendar. None of my degrees, etc. are on the wall. When I was private sector I had them up, but not in public sector. The only reason I had the AICP up was to deal with people who said, "you're not a planner!"
    Like it would make a difference to those people....
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    My creds are on my resume and that's all that matters.

If I have this job, I obviously have the necessary creds.

[planner sacrilege]And I'm not convinced (right now) about the real "value" of AICP.[/planner sacrilege]
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    None in my temporary trailer. In other places, the degrees and AICP. It probably
    depends on others, such as what does the boss have. It gets really tacky to me when there is a wall full of crap conference certificates, I have even seen Sunday School "perfect attendance" certificates in the work place.

As for awards...it depends. The thank you plaque for being APA Chapter officer is in a box in the basement. Awards with meaning you should be proud of.

If you are the only one in the building with even a Bachelor's; well, be careful.

JNA had a good point: copies of all professional development certificates should be in your personnel file.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Yeah, I've got "AICP" on my card, and I have my certificate on the wall, along with my diplomas. In a way, it's to reassure the public and city officials that "I know what I'm doing". Being a "soft science" unlike engineering, it can be difficult having your opinions or recommendations taken seriously, and I see the paper as putting some weight behind the work.

Still, I'm not at the point where I'll sign my name "AICP", include it on memos, or the like.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Masters is framed and on the wall.

When I get AICP it will go on the wall and the letters behind my name.

On my door I have my name and then the phonetic spelling of my last name. It helps reduce the cringe factor when new people come to see me.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I am with JNA on the importance of EMI NFIP courses. I have a slip of paper after my name on my name plate that says CFM. If I am doing something in the floodplain world I use CFM. My BS is in Psychology. I use to use it but don't find a need to now. No certificateson the walls. I don't have room. I have maps on the walls.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Using AICP credentials
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 07 Nov 2012, 10:18 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 16 May 2012, 10:05 AM
  3. Certifications
    Career Development and Advice