Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Articulation requirements

Registered
    Aug 2007

Articulation requirements

In my municipality we have an overlay district for the main highway in town. One of the standards in the overlay district is the requirement of articulation for bulidings that are within a certain distance of the highway and have elevations greater than 60 feet. Our requirement reads as follows:
    Building elevations in Tier 1 and Tier 2 that are greater than 60' in length, measured horizontally, shall incorporate wall plane projections or recesses every 40', having a depth of at least 3 feet and a width of at least 20'.
    We recently had an applicant that found a loophole in this requirement. The applicant basically 'tacked-on' 3 foot projecting faux-columns every 40 feet, counting their base wall as a recess. An aerial view of the wall looks like this:

-----------------__---------------------__-------------------__----------------

This was not the intent of the ordianance. I have been tasked with trying to close this loophole. Do any other Cyburbians have experience with this or any ideas for language that would avoid this problem? Thanks!

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Hmm, I thought someone would have had some experience with this issue. Am I phrasing my question wrong? Thank you for all of your help!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Confused about requirements
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 15 Aug 2012, 12:06 PM
  2. Building / construction Porch requirements
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 2:53 PM
  3. Ridiculous Job Requirements
    Friday Afternoon Club