Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Stimulus Projects

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Stimulus Projects

I checked the archives....we have a thread that discusses the implementation of the big federal stimulus package......it tended to stay on a political and theoretical course. This thread is to discuss the pros and cons of the proposed projects that you may be familiar with or recently read about.

Most of you have probably perused the big state-by-state lists of proposed stimulus projects. Bet dollars-to-donuts that you drilled-down to your locale and checked to see what was being requested.

For this opening post, here's an interesting project in Toledo.....

The University of Toledo is asking for $75 million to establish The University of Toledo Campus of Energy Innovation. Their proposal calls for a conversion of their Com-Tech Campus to a campus-setting that has a sole focus of researching alternative energy sources.

No matter how you feel about the source of the funding, it is a good idea. The Toledo area is already a leader in alternate energy development, with some major corporate and technical work taking place. The school is a leader is photovoltaics and clean energy technology. The city has been helpful to the university, knowing full-well that the help will lead to long-term economic benefits.

The new campus would include a focus on:

Advanced energy development
    Solar development
    Advanced wind turbine technology
    Smart grid innovation
    World transportation and logistics center
    _____

Also on the Toledo list, a "fit" with the above project.....a huge wind turbine farm in Maumee Bay, adjacent to the Port of Toledo. (Maumee Bay is relatively shallow and is a good candidate for inexpensive off-shore tubine placement.)
    _____

ComTech was the original University of Toledo Community College. It is now called the Scott Park Campus. It is located midway between the school's main campus and the large Medical Science Campus.
    _____

Any projects you are familiar with and "like" or "dislike"?

What say you?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Nope, I'm not aware of any. I just felt bad that no one has responded to this potentially engaging question.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm only familiar with what we submitted (by "we" I mean the municipality I work for). Rest assured that everything we submitted is shovel-ready and a veritable bonanza of jobs!!

There's this website out there we you can actually vote on the projects, but it's basically just a crummy "rate-my-face" type of site where anyone can vote as often as they like based on vague/sketchy descriptions of what each project entails. Pretty worthless IMO.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    I just got the run-down today from the Manager about how much money, out of the BILLIONS that Illinois will get, will be available to local units of government. Out of the $7 Billion - only $2 Billion gets to trickle down and the City of Chicago is getting the lions share of the $2 Billion for the Olypmic bid and other projects.

The State is keeping $5 billion for their pet projects - IDOT bid ready stuff, IEPA, etc.

That leaves the rest of us Illinois Municipalities to fight over about $500 million. Whoopee.

Anyone want to arm wrestle for it?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by southsideamy View post
    I just got the run-down today from the Manager about how much money, out of the BILLIONS that Illinois will get, will be available to local units of government. Out of the $7 Billion - only $2 Billion gets to trickle down and the City of Chicago is getting the lions share of the $2 Billion for the Olypmic bid and other projects.

The State is keeping $5 billion for their pet projects - IDOT bid ready stuff, IEPA, etc.

That leaves the rest of us Illinois Municipalities to fight over about $500 million. Whoopee.

Anyone want to arm wrestle for it?
    That's probably what will happen in NJ too. The bosses seem to think that our project is "shovel ready". It ain't even close.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    As for Illinois' $500 million - I'd like to see coordination toward my pet project of a model sustainable, hydrogen/ammonia, IRHTDF, smart grid, micro grid city in Macomb, Illinois... But maybe it'd be best for the private sector to grab on to the project instead of thinking that, as I may have from time to time, that stimulus funding could be a magic, silver bullet for my dreams... lol... I've been a dreamer...

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Confirmed Toledo Projects

The Toledo, OH, area will share some of the stimulus bucks. Yesterday they confirmed a few.....

Toledo Shipyard - $15 million will be used for modernization.

Harbor Crane - $6.8 million for upgrading and replacing heavy equipment at the Port of Toledo.

Intermodal Rail Terminal - $6.5 million for improvements to Norfolk Southern's Airline Junction intermodal yard in south Toledo. Most of the bucks go toward another set of rails, for staging.

Energy Efficiency - $3.1 million for new projects.

Most of the stim-you-money goes toward highway improvements.

These projects are estimated to retain (or establish new) over 21,000 jobs.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Does everyone feel 'stimulated' yet?

Anyways, all that I have heard around here is that WisDOT is advancing work on planned major US 41 upgrades in the Oshkosh-Neenah area (along with several other long-planned highway projects statewide, including work to upgrade I-94 south of Milwaukee to 8 lanes) and state-backed attempts to work towards reintroducing common-carrier rail passenger service into parts of the state north and west of Milwaukee.

BTW, and I have said this before, I *NEVER* look upon infrastructure improvement projects as 'job creation' things - this because when the projects are completed, those construction jobs all go *poof!*. They are economic enablers, making other more wholesome, long-term types of economic activity (and jobs) more possible.

I am firmly convinced that despite our state government's beyond crappy attitude and policies towards business and private-sector jobs and economic activity, it remains fairly strong due to the state's excellent roads and other related infrastructure.

Mike

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

There's money out there for connectivity projects

And it hasn't been marked for any particular state or projects yet -- the NTIA has $4.7 Billion to give away in the next 24 months, and it's meant for local governments to use...

I've blogged about it in here, and at anvil partners website...

We're working to put together a webinar to help folks get up to speed and develop projcts and apply for the $$$ -- should be timed to hit the streets right when the NTIA is opening up for application submittals.

RES
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."
    Aphorisms on Public Hearings, Planning Guild Handbook (2001).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008

Rural Telecom/Broadband and Microgrid Demonstration Location

AnvilPartners,

Thanks for your blogs and your post here. I've scanned through them. There are some discussions among local leaders and additional resources outside of Macomb, IL discussing integrative energy projects and microgrid demonstration possibilities. The details could get lengthy, but any input you may have on rural telecom/broadband/networking potentials for development as combined with smart/micro grid demonstration project development (smart/microgrids will require bi-directional information flow over telecom for instant electrical system management) could be helpful for the Macomb, IL project I mentioned in this thread a few posts above. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    MachWing

Registered
    Nov 2008
    Blog entries

Wow --

That's pretty far up on my Gee Whiz meter! I'm not familiar enough with smart grid technology and ops to be able to help you there. We are working to put together an educational webinar on how to develop good projects (ie sustainable/lasting positive impact) for the NTIA funding, and your input would help with that.

In terms of smart grid projects, what was the vision in your community?

RES
    "Sometimes you have to get medieval with it...hammer, sparks, sweat, the whole nine yards...so don't forget your asbestos suit."
    Aphorisms on Public Hearings, Planning Guild Handbook (2001).

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I recently read of a small town in SC submitted 183 projects for funding just hoping to get one. I've never gone for that practice of asking for everything just to get a crumb.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    BTW, and I have said this before, I *NEVER* look upon infrastructure improvement projects as 'job creation' things - this because when the projects are completed, those construction jobs all go *poof!*. They are economic enablers, making other more wholesome, long-term types of economic activity (and jobs) more possible.
    I agree completely. The jobs also act as a stop-gap to prevent further employment losses by creating this temporary, usually decent paying, positions.

Locally, we're using stimulus funds to install a new freeway exit. I wish some of the money could have been used as seed money for green tech R&D labs or development sites in our community. I can't find any reason that AZ should not be at the forefront of solar cell technology.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008

The Model Sustainable City Vision for Macomb, IL

AnvilPartners,

Thanks for your reply. The vision for Macomb, IL [as a model/prototype/demonstration sustainable/hydrogen/ammonia smart grid/microgrid city] has been one that has been evolving with some signs of progress since the spring of 2007, with motivations for the visioning beginning in 2005. In 2005, I began researching the energy challenges we face, including, for instance, Peak Oil. I assembled a set of observations and started talking to community members in the spring of 2007. By November/December of 2007, I began my "Model Sustainable Cities" website at www.modelsustainablecities.weebly.com This website contains the majority of my public thinking. A search including the terms I use as tags at the bottom of the website along with "MachWing" in the same search can also help mine up a few of the other public posts I've made online.

But in the midst of the story, interest has been planted and is germinating among public leaders, Western Illinois University people, the Illinois Institute for Rural Affairs, a few business leaders, and a few organizations outside of Macomb. I'll avoid a lengthy post here, as many of the details are already in the other posts. But there is also "soft" progress in the work of networking among the potentially interested parties that has not been posted as public information as of yet.

If there is anything more specific I could describe, let me know?

Thanks,
    MachWing

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    There is a transit project which we think has stimulus money because the agency is trying to run it through the processes. Unfortunately they wanted to run it down a residential street in my neighborhood. Great idea but the wrong location. Sounds like the new route will better address the needs of all.

Beyond that, I don't know of any.
    If you're not growing, you're dying. - Lou Holtz

Registered
    Aug 2001
    5 million for weatherization in three counties.

I wonder if new construction that has sat vacant for years is eligible?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Politics and stimulus money
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 25 May 2009, 9:20 AM
  2. NTIA Stimulus Funds
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Mar 2009, 6:45 PM
  3. Stimulus..What does it all mean?
    Career Development and Advice