Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Market study cost estimate

Registered
    Nov 2005

Market study cost estimate

I am looking for a basic cost - ball park figure (for budgeting reasons) for a basic market study that will tell me potential future demand along a corridor. Does anyone have a basic number so I can bring it up the chain of command without making myself look stupid. Thanks!
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I do a lot of these. The answer depends on the complexity of the market, the area of the corridor, the mix of uses you want analyzed, and the level of detail you are requesting. A market analysis for a small town in rural Kansas, for instance, should run no more than $10,000-15,000 to fully address residential and commercial uses community-wide. In an urban area, where there are many competing districts and a generally more complex environment, it may start at $15,000 and go much higher. Similarly, a study for a specific use would have a higher price tag because of the additional level of detail required within that specific market segment.

Some of the recent ones I have done:
    Housing/mixed-use analysis for 70-acre urban site: $27,500
    Retail market analysis and development strategy for a micropolitan place: $38,000
    Hotel feasibility: $26,000
    Retail/office/residential in dense suburb, with survey elements: $45,000
    Downtown market in a small rural city: $7,500

If you can give me some more specifics I can probably pin down a price range.
    What is the area population?
    How big is the corridor?
    What uses do you want addressed? (office, retail, residential, industrial, lodging, etc.)
    What output do you want? (existing conditions, trends, demographics, sales estimates, targets for recruitment, assessment of current infrastructure, recommendations for development, strategies, supportable square feet, leasing strategy, etc.)
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Also investigate if a similar market study has already recently been conducted for that corridor- find out how much it cost.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Seana View post
    Also investigate if a similar market study has already recently been conducted for that corridor- find out how much it cost.
    The 1st thing I did was check with the local business district (CID) to see if they had one available, but they did not.

Cardinal - Very good input. I know it is always so hard to give estimates when you do not know specifically what someone is looking for, but your range of figures helps me to understand a general cost range. Go for the Cadillac and when the costs come in from the RFP order a Yugo!
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    The 1st thing I did was check with the local business district (CID) to see if they had one available, but they did not.

Cardinal - Very good input. I know it is always so hard to give estimates when you do not know specifically what someone is looking for, but your range of figures helps me to understand a general cost range. Go for the Cadillac and when the costs come in from the RFP order a Yugo!
    Hey, just send me a copy when you issue it.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Job estimate per square foot
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 09 Jul 2011, 10:32 PM
  2. Housing market study
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Oct 2010, 11:41 AM
  3. Population estimate techniques