Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Re-interviewing / re-applying for jobs

Registered
    Jan 2009

Re-interviewing / re-applying for jobs

i interviewed with a company here in town a few months ago and did not get the job. they wanted someone with more experience with a software package that we are not using at work, although i have done as much independent training as i can: classes, online tutorials, software vendor tutorials - i also just didnt have a good interview from my end. the position appears to still be open and i am still interested in it. is there a good way to re-apply for the position, and how should i best breech the fact that i don't have real world experience with the software but would be able to learn it fast enough.

thanks.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The fact that they still have the position open may mean many things, among them:

1) They are still listing the position but do not intend to fill it any time soon;
    2) They are fishing to see if a strong candidate may turn up, who can offer something they don't have, but otherwise do not intend to fill a position; or
    3) They have not yet found a person with the qualifications they desire.

Since you have interviewed and have not been offered a job, they did not think you met their needs. But that is under their pre-existing definition of what they need and how they will offer it. You could gamble. Contact them to say that you remain interested (and have a good reason why), and ask what would make you a viable choice to them. You might be able to work out an arrangement, like getting a certification, etc., so that they can see their way clear to hiring you. It is a long shot, but what do you have to lose?
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    How much experience do you currently have? Are you an intern, entry-level, mid-level, senior, executive? Were you applying for a higher level job that required many years of experience and/or was it a specialized technical job that required an advanced understanding of the software?

Whenever you receive a rejection, I recommend you immediately contact the community/firm and find out the reason(s) why you were not selected. About 50-75% of the responses are pretty thorough. I make a note and stick it in my file.

I have a slightly different method than Cardinal's. It's pretty late in the game, but I would try contacting them and obtaining the information I just described. Do not mention that you are interested in If all you need is some additional training or a specific certification, I would earn those items first and then contact them about the job, provided it's still open. It's still a gamble, but I think it would be hard for an employer to patiently wait for you to complete their requirements. They might appreciate it, but you also run the risk of someone more qualified for the position earning the job offer.
    Last edited by nrschmid; 03 Mar 2009 at 10:31 AM.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jan 2009
    the position was as a "technical engineer" providing training and troubleshooting on the software (revit). i do some of that now on the software we use at the office (autocad architecture) and making the switch wouldnt be all that hard to do - just a matter of some face time with the software. if i did get it, i would be switching from a job as an architect to a job with a reseller doing training and support. were the job with the software we are using now it would have been a hole-in-one i think.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    This sounds like a job for someone with a background in computer science and/or computer engineering. I use Revit to design architectural pattern books. I also use AutoCAD much more on the job, which I think is much more similar to Architectural Desktop. Revit has some similarities with Sketchup. However, I think the learning curve to master Revit is pretty high.

For a software training and support job, it is not enough to just know how to use the program. From my experience working with AutoDesk and ESRI software support personnel, you have to know the program inside and out, have an understanding of computer programing and networks, to be able diagnose AND troubleshoot any AND all problems. Having an architecture background certainly helps, but I think computer science/computer engineering experience plays a bigger role in these types of jobs.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by cellophane View post
    the position was as a "technical engineer" providing training and troubleshooting on the software (revit).
    Agreed with Nick. This is a position where you really need to know the ins/out of the software not just how to use, but how to install it on machines, trouble shooting machines that do not use revit probably (i.e. any machine that doesn't have less than 4GB of ram, upgraded video card and processor) and dealing with a vendor to work with networking and licensing issues (such as assigning a license to a singular machine versus network licensing over multiple machines with multiple users) as well as purchasing licenses in coordination with IT. Revit is a complicated beast, hence why my firm is a little behind on it, and i sit on our IT issues team for the company.
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Aug 2012, 10:01 PM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 29 Dec 2011, 10:30 AM
  3. Political experience when applying for jobs
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 May 2008, 5:11 PM
  4. Feedback after applying/before interviewing
    Career Development and Advice