Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: International Property Maintenance Code

Registered
    Mar 2009

International Property Maintenance Code

As our community considers adopting a property maintenance code, I've been asked to research what communities have experienced using the IPMC. Can you please tell me what the positive and negative aspects of using it are; and would you recommend adopting it? We would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you,
    Code Man

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

It depends on your state law
    I have used it effectively, recommending it as a consultant to municipalities who have adopted it and liked it and for cities that I have worked for who have adopted it and liked it, The attorneys have really liked it,
    The only complaints were not what I would call legitimate mostly along the line of who are "you" to tell me what I can do with my proproperty
    Most people have welcomed it because they can look at it, at the municipal offices or at the local library. It also keeps the laws uniform if a group of adjacent municiplities adopt it, making it easier for everyone to understand
    Compliance is easier to achieve when it is readily available to read and other municipalities use the same ordinance

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Fat Cat View post
    The only complaints were not what I would call legitimate mostly along the line of who are "you" to tell me what I can do with my proproperty
    This is what we experienced, and it was enough to convince Council to vote it down. However, it was somewhat ironic that the same people who were complaining about the state of certain properties in the City were also the ones at the podium telling Council how they can't tell people what to do with their property.

Registered
    Mar 2009

Question

Thank you for your responses. In many instances, the IPMC references other International Codes instead of defining the standard within. Did the community's that use the IPMC find it problematic to jump from one code book to another to determine the standards?

Thanks,
    Code Man

Registered
    Jul 2008

Well

My community uses the IPMC and the most important part would be the support from the City Council. I can know that when I let someone know that they have a violation according to the IPMC that if that resident runs to a council member I don't have anything to worry about.

We are hoping to adopt the International Fire Code 2006 edition later this year, that way we will be more up to date and much of the Fire Code is already adopted by reference in the IPMC.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

bump

I am resurrecting this thread to ask if rural communities have adopted this code - you know, in the land of bathtubs on the lawn, waiting to hay the front yard, that sort of place?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I am resurrecting this thread to ask if rural communities have adopted this code - you know, in the land of bathtubs on the lawn, waiting to hay the front yard, that sort of place?
    It will not work for rural places. Unless the community demands it. I have used it effectively in towns of 30,000 (with modifications), but would not dare to try it in more rural areas.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    The population of the city for which I'm gratefully employed is 13,000 spread out among approximately 21 square miles. The City Council adopted the IPMC in 2000 and every update since. It has proven to be a valuable tool in being able to remove dilapidated and unsafe structures as well as resolving property maintenance issues.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    It will not work for rural places. Unless the community demands it. I have used it effectively in towns of 30,000 (with modifications), but would not dare to try it in more rural areas.
    ayup

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've implemented it here in a first-tier suburb with a population of just under 10,000. Council support is critical.

It has been especially useful in dealing with some upkeep issues on historic downtown buildings using the IPMC rather than having to do the whole "demolition by neglect" enforcement route. Getting a few businesses that are irritated with their landlords or adjacent derilict property owners to support you is also very helpful.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Apr 2012, 12:41 PM
  2. Property maintenance regulations
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 16 Dec 2008, 12:21 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 04 Oct 2006, 8:45 PM